Colt M4 Trooper

Collim1

Thinking about this for my new patrol carbine. I currently carry a 6920, but want something more optics and mounted light friendly. 

Is is this a mid length gas system?  And how light/heavy is the forearm?  Can it be purchase as a complete upper?  Is it a lightweight/pencil barrel profile?

If I buy one it will have to be sight unseen, which I don’t normally prefer doing.  Doesn’t seem to be a lot info on it available. 

Edited by Collim1

13 hours ago, Boogieman said:

According to their web site their Combat Unit Carbine is their first to have a mid length gas system.  I'm in the market for one right now.

https://www.colt.com/series/COMBAT_UNIT_CARBINE

Thanks for the heads up. The CCU is a little more expensive, but I think it what I want. I want the pencil barrel, and might as well spring for the midlength gas system. Not that my 6920 has ever been a problem, I think Colt has the carbine length gas system down pat. 

I would to hear some personal experience  with either. 

Just now, Collim1 said:

Thanks for the heads up. The CCU is a little more expensive, but I think it what I want. I want the pencil barrel, and might as well spring for the midlength gas system. Not that my 6920 has ever been a problem, I think Colt has the carbine length gas system down pat. 

A guy at my range has one and we swapped AR's for a few rounds.  It was fantastic.  Like I said, I'm looking for one right now.  About every decade or so Colt does something right.  Well the CCU is it for the next 10 years.  Still trying to find one local that I can check out before I buy.  Not wanting to order one sight unseen because...well...it is a Colt.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

About seven years ago I was in a very aggressive training class where I put close to 4000 rounds through a 6920 with a can on it. It didn't fail once.

On the other hand I was smoked like a cheap cigar after four days.

• Like 2

I flubbed an auction with no reserve on Gunbroker. I forgot about it ending st lunch today and it got won for $250 under retail. Dammit. 

Thanks for the heads up on the CCU 6960 Boogieman. I’ve decided to go with it over the Trooper 6920. 

I’m planning to order on Buds and have my local shop transfer it.  They said their distributor doesn’t have one. Would much rather do business with a local shop, but oh well. 

Im not ordering it until Friday so I can ponder the Ruger MPR. The initial reports aren’t confidence inspiring,  it if they have worked the issues out it seems like a hell of a value. 

Already busted.....credit card was initially declined and my wife got a phone call from credit card company about suspicious out of state account activity. So I had to fess up. 

Charge was authroized and order is still valid. But usually I have till the statement comes out to come up with a plan for explaining it to the wife. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

Already busted.....credit card was initially declined and my wife got a phone call from credit card company about suspicious out of state account activity. So I had to fess up. 

Charge was authroized and order is still valid. But usually I have till the statement comes out to come up with a plan for explaining it to the wife. 

Just withhold sex until she admit that she's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The 6960 arrived today. I had to immediately straighten the canted handguard. It was glaringly obvious the moment I took it out of the box. Other than that everything looks good. 

I have it roughly setup, but won’t be able to shoot it until next week. 

I am used to standard M4 type setups with irons and factory handguard so this will take some getting used to. 

Probably have to spend some time on the range before I can complete the setup as far and light and sling positions go.  

I will get some pictures up when I get a chance. 

• Like 1

My only complaint so far is the nice thin rail I like because it feels good in the hands is so thin there is not enough clearance between gas block and the rail for the mlok screws. A lot of the best real estate near the front of the rail is not useable. 

I have my flashlight farther back than I prefer, but the beam is so well focused on the Steamlight that shadowing is not really a problem.  

I won’t be able to hit the range until next week. I can’t wait to try her out. 

• Like 2

I did some experimenting and measuring and found the screws for the mlok rails are almost three times as long as necessary. They were soft metal and filed very quickly. I took them down with a hand file so they are flush and they now fit without touching the barrel or gas block underneath the rail. 

I am heading to the range tomorrow for function testing, sight-in, and accuracy testing. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 2

I did a quick and lube prior to shooting tomorrow. I am running the tape switch hard mounted directly to the handguard with mlok hardware. I had to drill out the tiny holes in the switch body to fit the mlok hardware.  

I am not sure if the switch will handle the heat or not. 

I have her setup now. 

VTAC sling with QD

Magpul MBUS BUIS front and rear

Trijicon MRO

Streamlight Protac flash light. 

Hopefully this will prove to be a solid and lightweight setup.  I have a two week class coming up next month and this rifle will be seeing some pretty hard use.  I am bringing my Colt 6920 as a backup with the carry handle irons installed.  I know that setup is solid  

I wasn’t kidding when I said I am a lousy photographer, but I have it the ol’ college try and am going to show her off. 

7F38BF85-223A-4B3C-B64A-19A9A49D9E6D.jpeg

2A7587D4-3629-47B5-9FF2-4FB4B3B90C43.jpeg

47DCE882-3761-4914-9A44-7A0155D3C3DA.jpeg

7FDF96BA-913F-4869-A8CF-57F54D0C6877.jpeg

EE853B76-AA03-4212-A442-4425E98A18FF.jpeg

C1F0F11B-ABC1-433C-B5D2-84E9313560D6.jpeg

E3644403-EF10-47E0-A8C5-3C7B1D415317.jpeg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

I'm still trying to find a CCU locally.  Pretty soon I'll just order one and hope for the best.

It’s a Talo exclusive from what I understand. I always give my favorite local shop a chance, and they said none of the distributors they order from could obtain one. 

I ordered mine from Buds. It was at my FFL 5 days later including the weekend. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Smith10 said:

Looks good sir!

Interested to see your take on it after the class.

Have you been happy with the protac?

Have a tac14 coming in this week and plan to put a light on the forend .

I have used the Protac for several years on my 6920 that was my patrol rifle. It rode in the rack everyday.  I used the tailcap switch all these years because I could find a way to mount it I liked on the standard military style carbine handguards. 

Its held up well. It has a good solid mount built in, the battery life is good, and the beam is perfectly focused. 

I wouldn’t buy anything else personally. The tape switch is a good switch, but the double sided tape and rubber rail lock they give you to mount the switch with are garbage. No way they survive any real use.  The rubber is tearing up just from a installs and removals while I’ve been trying different setups  

You need to hard mount it like I did, making sure you leave enough slack to be able to screw off thr tailcap for battery replacement.  Or spend the money and buy something like this:  https://clouddefensive.com/collections/the-light-control-system-lcs-series/products/lcsmk2a-inline-streamlight-69132-tape-switch

this will be my backup plan if the switch can’t handle the heat of this small diameter handguard. 

Edited by Collim1

For anyone considering the CCU for a purchase I firgired I’d post the results of the first outing with her. 

It zerod quickly. I shot federal 55g 5.56 FMJ. 

My concern about the Magpul MBUS front and rear back up sites was unwarranted.

1BD70732-3941-40E8-84FD-63C8E976E60B.jpeg

Thats 3 rounds prone at 50 yards. The MRO shot well also. 

No reliability problems through 200 rounds. 

The handguards stayed cool until I picked the pace up a little. 50 aimed shots as quickly as I could get them off standing at the 25 yard line got it too hit to handle with bare hands. 

I guess the folks at Streamlight know what they are doing after all because the pressure switch stayed cool to the touch even after the handguard was screaming hot. 

I foresee a pair of shooting gloves or some rail covers in my future. 

Here’s a group prone at the 50 yard line with the MRO after I got it dialed in 

341E9600-B39E-4AF7-B712-FE51CF098A3E.jpeg

I only shot prone, elbow on the dirt, I didn’t use a rest or sandbag of any kind so I’m pleased with that grouping and zero. I know everyone on the internet shoots 1moa, but that’s what I got out of her today.  10 shots at ~4moa.  

I shot 30 rounds of my issued duty load, Federal Tactical bonded 55g SP as well. It shot a little different Than the ball ammo so I made a few clicks to adjust my zero my thr duty round and that concluded this range trip. 

It was very hot outside today and it got hotter as the morning went on. I wanted to try a few different types of ammo at the 100 yard line, but once the sweat is pouring into my shooting glasses it’s time to go.

I predict it will shoot a little tighter with some heavier ammo. We willl have to check on that when it’s cooler outside. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 3