Ruger GP100 .357

DUBSY

Does anyone have first hand experience replacing the front sight? I have a new model #KGP-141 4.2" standard GP. Internet buzz on the red front sight from Ruger web site is negative. Some saying it doesn't fit. If this is true then what will? I'll be back later concerning the big black rubber grip. I'm going to shoot it for awhile to see if it grows on me. But the black front sight will have to go. 

GP100.thumb.jpg.dff762e14a82318b346bdc453c6567f5.jpg

Edited by DUBSY
add image
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, DUBSY said:

Does anyone have first hand experience replacing the front sight? I have a new model #KGP-141 4.2" standard GP. Internet buzz on the red front sight from Ruger web site is negative. Some saying it doesn't fit. If this is true then what will? I'll be back later concerning the big black rubber grip. I'm going to shoot it for awhile to see if it grows on me. But the black front sight will have to go. 

First range trip today and the GP100 is easy to shoot and shoot well. All the good things I've heard about these guns seem to be true. I'm not going to be in a hurry to swap out the grip as it felt pretty good. The black front sight was ok as well. But the range I was at is really well lit and I was only shooting at 10 yards. I was shooting Midwest remanufactured ammo. Mixing 125gr RN .357 with 125gr .38 special FP. I didn't notice any real difference in shootability. 

• Like 1

I also went the paint route rather than replace. A coat of white primer and after it dried, a coat of acrylic fluorescent red. Works great.

There are fiber optic and other options available if you want to switch it out. After using the paint, I never felt the need. Enjoy your GP. A fantastic wheel gun.

26 minutes ago, TeaDub said:

And because every thread needs more pictures, here's mine. The grips are Altamont. They replicate the old, Lett style grips Ruger used to ship all GPs with.

Those look great. Are they still available? And yes the GP lives up to its reputation.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DUBSY said:

Those look great. Are they still available? And yes the GP lives up to its reputation.

The company is still there. Looking at their website, most of the GP grips seem to temporarily unavailable. Here's a link.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/gp100/

Mine are the Rosewood Snakeskin. I got the combo. The rubber grip plus inserts. Seems like Ruger is selling this style grip again as well. I haven't looked to confirm. They would likely be smooth wood rather than the textured.

49 minutes ago, TeaDub said:

Mine are the Rosewood Snakeskin. I got the combo. The rubber grip plus inserts. Seems like Ruger is selling this style grip again as well. I haven't looked to confirm. They would likely be smooth wood rather than the textured.

Are yours the compact or full ?

Full size. The compact is great for the 3 inch guns, IMO. I prefer full size on the 4.2 inch. The compact uses inserts that are the same as the SP101.

ETA: The compacts are pretty small. I have smaller hands and can barely squeeze all three fingers on them. Tucking my pinky is more comfortable.

Edited by TeaDub

5 hours ago, Armorydoc said:

Best bet is to add some Testors paint to the blade. Lot's of hi viz options.

3 hours ago, TeaDub said:

I also went the paint route rather than replace. A coat of white primer and after it dried, a coat of acrylic fluorescent red. Works great.

I'll probably use paint as well. My wife uses fingernail polish on her Glock 36. I may get those grips from Ruger online. I got a 20% off promo code for purchase of the GP.

• Like 1

Replacing the front sight is easy. Use a small pin punch or Allen wrench and poke it through the hole @ the muzzle in front of sight blade and push the sight out the side. It took a minute or so. Congrats on your GP100, mine is the 1707 6" but I think I'll get the 1705 4.2" soon to fill the hole between my 1707 and 3" SP101.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:05 PM, TeaDub said:

Seems like Ruger is selling this style grip again as well. I haven't looked to confirm. They would likely be smooth wood rather than the textured.

I went with the grips from Ruger site. Good to go! Still haven't painted the front sight yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

GP100_RFS_panels.thumb.jpg.cc1457cb6050a7f7228c324739e2a08c.jpg

On 9/3/2018 at 5:47 AM, G26S239 said:

Well swapping out the black to red ramp is a one minute job as I noted above.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:05 PM, TeaDub said:

Seems like Ruger is selling this style grip again as well

New grips and front sight.

• Like 3

Lookin' good!

I may have to try their red-insert front sight. From your picture, it looks bright enough. The one complaint about them that I've read is that the red was a bit too dull to pick up quickly. My painted one works OK. Having a permanent solution for under $20 isn't bad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...