Favorite outdoor gear?

Quickling

It was nice and sunny today, so I took a photo of some of my favorite outdoor gear.  I'm already chopping at the bit for hunting season.

Shown here:

My EDC G26

Propper Boonie hat (squished by the glock)

Grohmann #1 knife

Howa Mini action - 6.5 grendel, topped with a vortex 2.5-10 pst

qSltcQB.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Over the years, I've noticed a lot of overlap when it comes to guns, knives, and outdoor equipment. For instance, I enjoy shooting and hiking. If I were going on a 10-15 mile day hike, I'd have the following:

Hill People Runner's Kit Bag with HK VP9sk, spare mag, cell phone, and flashlight inside

Maxpedition small backpack with as much water as I could fit, trail mix, and small first aid kit

Benchmade folder

Danner boots

USMC boonie hat

REI trekking pole

I'm pretty particular when it comes to outdoor gear, knives, and guns, and I'm guilty of brand loyalty when I find good stuff. Buy good stuff, take care of it, and it will never fail you.

Semper Fidelis

Edited by TXUSMC
Spelling and additional info

You can have great gear, but you also need... a plan. Even for a period of short duration. Weather, terrain, landmarks... a plan for what to do if you get lost or injured. Although we're addicted to our cell phones, any real outdoorsman carries and knows how to use a lensatic or orienteering compass... because even though your cell phone has a compass, it may lose power if you're gone longer than planned. Folks hiking on well-marked trails have been known to get lost. Knowledge breeds confidence if things go awry. Great gear cannot overcome panic.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:49 PM, TXUSMC said:

Over the years, I've noticed a lot of overlap when it comes to guns, knives, and outdoor equipment. For instance, I enjoy shooting and hiking. If I were going on a 10-15 mile day hike, I'd have the following:

Hill People Runner's Kit Bag with HK VP9sk, spare mag, cell phone, and flashlight inside

Maxpedition small backpack with as much water as I could fit, trail mix, and small first aid kit

Benchmade folder

Danner boots

USMC boonie hat

REI trekking pole

I'm pretty particular when it comes to outdoor gear, knives, and guns, and I'm guilty of brand loyalty when I find good stuff. Buy good stuff, take care of it, and it will never fail you.

Semper Fidelis

Pretty good advice here Marine! I would use a Camelbak pack that has some features in common with your runners kit, and I prefer my Colt Commander over the HK (don’t get me wrong the HK is a great gun but I prefer .45). I would add a little fire starter kit with a magnesium block and call it good.

I concur, Kydd ... when you need a fire in a crisis-type scenario, you generally want it sooner than later. Those fire-starter kits that employ magnesium are good stuff. 

Another piece of gear I've wrestled with is a water filtration system. Technology has improved over the years, and really good lightweight stuff that purifies water is out there. One of the most important aspects of any route recon I do deals with potable water sources. Been warned off of using cattle stock ponds... too much bad stuff to filter out, if you have other options. If you have time, boiling water makes sense... but then you're carrying a stove, fuel, and something to hold the water. My solution: day hike in areas where you can resupply fresh, purified water.

I'm 65... hiking smarter is a necessity ?

20 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

I concur, Kydd ... when you need a fire in a crisis-type scenario, you generally want it sooner than later. Those fire-starter kits that employ magnesium are good stuff. 

Another piece of gear I've wrestled with is a water filtration system. Technology has improved over the years, and really good lightweight stuff that purifies water is out there. One of the most important aspects of any route recon I do deals with potable water sources. Been warned off of using cattle stock ponds... too much bad stuff to filter out, if you have other options. If you have time, boiling water makes sense... but then you're carrying a stove, fuel, and something to hold the water. My solution: day hike in areas where you can resupply fresh, purified water.

I'm 65... hiking smarter is a necessity ?

At 55 with 3 younger kids I still do some hiking, when I can drag them off their various electronic devices.  For water filtration you might consider LifeStraw.  I bought 5 (one for each member of the family) and a family LifeStraw.  Very small, light and last a long time.  Cheap too.  I've never had to use them, but it's good to know they're there.

• 1 year later...