The Rabbi hurricane thread.

Rabbi

http://www.miamibeach411.com/gallery/frances/shelter.html

"...Response to Emergency Calls Cease at the arrival of Tropical Storm Force Winds. The City of Miami Beach’s Fire, Rescue and Police crews will cease emergency operations during an impending hurricane when the winds reach Tropical Storm force (i.e. 40 mph). Following a hurricane, emergency calls will be very limited due to flooding, power lines down, street access, and limited personnel.   ..."

https://forums.firehouse.com/forum/emergency-vehicles-operation/emergency-vehicle-operations/28114-wind-tests-for-rescue-vehicles

"...  They were invoking a long-held policy of shutting down when sustained winds anywhere in the county reach 40 mph ..."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-matthew-dade-broward-palm-20161004-story.html

"...  Palm Beach County  ... "Once the winds hit 40 mph, we will not send fire rescue or the sheriff's office or any law enforcement officer," County Administrator Verdenia Baker said ..."

Local news here has a reporter in Corpus Christi and she just said police have stopped responding although may respond to a life threatening emergency if conditions permit

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

The National Hurricane Center has just increased Harvey to a category 4 storm with 130 mph winds.

whoa. Batten down TX. Rabbi, and anyone else affected, keep the tortillas on the top shelf. Hoping for the best for y'all.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Yep. Cat 4 and hours away from landfall.  This is going to be a life changing night for a lot of people  

The wind is really starting to blow here but not much rain....yet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just heard some moron reporter on FOX who is standing outside in the storm mention that it's a good thing that their aren't any coconuts on the palm trees because it would be dangerous to get hit in the head with one. 

Rabbi, keep an eye out for those flying coconuts!  :freak:

Regards,

Happyguy :)

Edited by Happyguy

• Administrators

Well, I just got "off" (but still here on standby)  16 hour shift. Meh.  In all honesty, there has been no weather yet. All day, the radar showed the rain was "almost here"  it has only been within the last two hours that it started to rain and not much.  I was busy with mostly normal police stuff. People were moving around on the slow side of normal. 

This thing is going to happen, but today's rain never came.  Unless things go to ****, I go back on at 0400.  By all accounts, by then, things will be ****. 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Well, I just got "off" (but still here on standby)  16 hour shift. Meh.  In all honesty, there has been no weather yet. All day, the radar showed the rain was "almost here"  it has only been within the last two hours that it started to rain and not much.  I was busy with mostly normal police stuff. People were moving around on the slow side of normal. 

This thing is going to happen, but today's rain never came.  Unless things go to ****, I go back on at 0400.  By all accounts, by then, things will be ****. 

Good luck, bud. Stay safe and dry (Mostly).

• Administrators

The reports we are getting from ground zero are mixed. Lots of conflicting info. 

They range from "what you would expect, perhaps not even as bad..." to "buildings collapsed with people in them"   

I have no idea and of course, this thing is FAR from over. 

Sadly with 130 mph winds there will have to be some buildings that will be uninhabitable.  And there will be a lot of cleanup and repair that will need to be done.  I remember after Andrew there were twelve hour days until about Thanksgiving and I think it was the end of September when they went from seven to "only" six days a week.   I also remember that more people died after Andrew than during it.  Falling off roofs,  a chainsaw or two,  those kinds of things.  But you guys will need to get through the storm first.  

One of the things that has changed since then is the electric companies preplanning these and sending guys and equipment toward the area before the storm even  makes landfall.