The Rabbi hurricane thread.

Rabbi

10 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Well, I just got "off" (but still here on standby)  16 hour shift. Meh.  In all honesty, there has been no weather yet. All day, the radar showed the rain was "almost here"  it has only been within the last two hours that it started to rain and not much.  I was busy with mostly normal police stuff. People were moving around on the slow side of normal. 

This thing is going to happen, but today's rain never came.  Unless things go to ****, I go back on at 0400.  By all accounts, by then, things will be ****. 

Hang in there and stay safe.

Try to let us know you're okay when it's over (or in the meantime if you can).  I'm guessing during the heat of the storm you'll have bigger priorities....

Edited by SC Tiger

• Administrators

Daylight is starting. 

I am on patrol. Things are fairly normal.  The weather is coming in waves. Some really strong wind gusts, getting close to 40, are starting to hit.   Trees and power lines are dancing. 

It is raining but not very hard.  It is amazing how fast the low gray clouds are moving. 

There is some standing water in ditches and low lying areas.   

No power loss yet and I have not noticed any lightening or thunder  

The worst of it is still yet to come. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

We are getting hit by a strong band right now. I had to pull over. 

The rain is essentially coming in sideways and for the first time visibility is down to nothing. 

This matches the radar.  It should pass soon but at least now the reality is kicking in. 

Some businesses are open (gas stations, grocery stores and a few places to eat) but there is next to no traffic. 

The best thing is there have been very few calls for service (people needing first responders)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You guys are almost certainly more used to the tornado issue as they are a fairy common weather issue there.  We seldom see them here in Fl and when we do outside of hurricanes they are almost always  F0 or F1.  And remember while the northeast quadrant is usually the worst they can pop up anywhere.

• Administrators

The wind is still getting stronger. Our wind is supposed to be strongest from about 1-4 today. We are predicted to hit a steady 50 with some higher gusts. 

With the ground be so soaked, winds that high will start uprooting trees. 

One Bexar County deputy was seriously injured while working a crash.  

I am hearing it is pretty bad where Harvey came ashore.  We were expecting that. 

So far, because of the way the outer bands have been coming through, Houston and even Austin have been getting it far worse than us.  

Victoria Texas is in trouble right now.  Harvey is still a hurricane and is essentially  stalled over Victoria. 

1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

We are getting hit by a strong band right now. I had to pull over. 

The rain is essentially coming in sideways and for the first time visibility is down to nothing. 

This matches the radar.  It should pass soon but at least now the reality is kicking in. 

Some businesses are open (gas stations, grocery stores and a few places to eat) but there is next to no traffic. 

The best thing is there have been very few calls for service (people needing first responders)

We just went through the tail end of a strong band here too. I am sure it is not of the same intensity that you are getting, but lots and lots of rain.

I hope the Bexar deputy recovers fully and quickly.  Sounds to me like it is getting close to the time  when you want to start staying toward the main roads  (more lanes to reduce not being able to get through)  and staying close to the places I am guessing you have already lined up to hunker down at as alternatives in case you can't make it to the primary location.

• Administrators

We just regrouped in my district with some other first responders. 

Our growing concern is that this has been such a non event so far that people will start going out. (Traffic is picking up)

the problem with that is the worst is yet to come and low water crossings are starting to get standing water.  One really powerful band and it shuts the area down again. 

I am going back out on patrol. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Our growing concern is that this has been such a non event so far that people will start going out. (Traffic is picking up)

the problem with that is the worst is yet to come and low water crossings are starting to get standing water.  One really powerful band and it shuts the area down again. 

I am going back out on patrol. 

Let me guess--patrol in a storm situation is analogous to herding cats.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, OGW said:

Let me guess--patrol in a storm situation is analogous to herding cats.

From my experience, during the weather, most people keep their heads down.  You have a few idiots. 

The hearding of cats begins as soon as the weather is over.  

That is what makes this such a potential problem. This thing is not expected to end for days. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

It looks like "the eye" is curving directly towards San Antone.

Yeah it does.  We are getting winds higher than expected at this point. The greater San Antonio area is starting to sustain over 40 and gust to 60. That thing is still a hurricane. 

I have had my cruiser rocked hard by some of the gusts. 

16 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

I have had my cruiser rocked hard by some of the gusts. 

That is mother nature telling you its time to go hunker down somewhere.   At least under an overpass somewhere that will not flood.   Forgeteth not that as shingles start blowing around so do roofing nails.   The only thing better than changing a tire in the rain... is changing a tire in the rain wondering if the wind is gonna blow the car off the jack.  

19 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Well, some one went and needed arresting. So that is 1 so far. 

It really has been been pretty quiet but someone usually needs arresting. They insist. 

One must oblige the insistors.  Otherwise they just keep insisting for stupid prizes.