The Rabbi hurricane thread.

Rabbi

• Administrators

I have been assigned a grocery store for the next few hours.  They are packed and it could get violent. Lots of places ran out of gas last night but many got fuel this morning. Some places are short again. 

There is a touch of drizzle and the wind is picking up and getting a little authority. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, devildog2067 said:

You're too far inland to be in much danger from the actual storm, I'm sure, but all that water is no joke. Stay safe sir.

Yes.  Our issue will be flooding. The topography here makes this flash flood alley.  The good news is we know exactly where that will be a problem. What we do not know is how bad it will be. 

We will also have falling tree problems  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

I have been assigned a grocery store for the next few hours.  They are packed and it could get violent. Lots of places ran out of gas last night but many got fuel this morning. Some places are short again. 

There is a touch of drizzle and the wind is picking up and getting a little authority. 

Be safe. Hopefully people will behave and you will not have to deal with any situations

Have you seen any gray sky with a slight yellow tint to it?  I have seen that here a couple times after the rain moves from just the bands to the more constant precipitation  part of the storm.   Will there be a point  (~40 mph?) at which you will no longer respond to calls?

• Administrators

I have not seen anything yellowish. But it looked like grey uniform upside down rolling hills earlier 

We do not have an official trigger for when we stop responding.  That will be a group decision with a supervisor making the call.  

I think most people would be surprised how far we will push it. I (and many first responders) have gone out in some nearly impossible weather. If we get the call we are likely to go but there does come a time....

We are of the opinion that this storm will produce that time. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

We can go out in most any wind and rain.  (Again there is a limit).  

What "grounds" us is debris and flooding and not knowing where we might encounter that.  

So a two hour storm with 50 mph winds and a few strong gusts....we can work in that.   If that is sustained for a lot longer, there comes a point we can't. 

• Like 1

I used to go to watch the Brazos, it was either not flooded at all or it was three miles wide. I would see it spit trees, bigger than a house, into the air and just swallow them down again. And this was just after a normal springtime "turd floater" that would blow through from time to time.

We were once camping around the Comal. The sirens woke us up and we could hear the thunder. We decided to abort and just threw everything in the back of the truck. The stream we were camping along went from 5' wide to a flooded valley in about 15 minutes. If we hadn't split when we did, we would have never made it out.

• Administrators

The radar keeps showing the outer band about to hit but that outer band keeps collapsing. Just sprinkles and the wind picking up. 

As far as our call volume (how busy we are) I would say it is a "slow day" so far.  I have no doubt that is going to change. 

• Like 1