USMC Armor Versus U.S. Army Cavalry

OV1kenobi

I have no idea of how the Marines treat their Armor and Recon troops.

In the U.S. Army Cavalry Regiments, Tankers and Scouts are considered elite soldiers.

In the U.S. Cavalry Regiments,  Scouts were the inheritors of tactics and tradiion from the old, German Panzer Grenadiers from WWII according to my Bundeswehr friends back in the Eighties.

At least during my service as a Scout in the Eighties.

I have never heard er eof any exercises between USMC Armor and the U. S. Army Cavalry 

There should be, if for no other reason than to keep each other sharp and ready.

To be honest, we don't have any standing battalions or regiments that have both infantry and tanks as part of the T/O. The Light Armored Vehicle battalions come closest to mixing armored fighters and infantry. Elite? The Marine ethos argues against such labels. My $.02.

• Like 1

Tankers and Scouts were/are considered "elite'? I've never heard that before.

My youngest brother was a DAT (Dumb Ass Tanker) with a Cav. unit out of Colorado Springs, I don't think he considered himself as elite.

Hell, I served with The Commander-in-Chief's Guard (Alpha Company) of The Third U.S. Infantry, The Old Guard. They told us that we were "elite". I never felt that way though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richardb said:

ALL Marines are elite.

I will pretend to agree.

LOL!

Love the USMC!  Greatest American Patriots!

If you didn’t serve in the Army Cavalry,  at least you tried to do the right thing by being a Marine.

Thank you for your ser

29 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

Tankers and Scouts were/are considered "elite'? I've never heard that before.

My youngest brother was a DAT (Dumb Ass Tanker) with a Cav. unit out of Colorado Springs, I don't think he considered himself as elite.

Hell, I served with The Commander-in-Chief's Guard (Alpha Company) of The Third U.S. Infantry, The Old Guard. They told us that we were "elite". I never felt that way though.

vice 

20 minutes ago, Richardb said:

ALL Marines are elite.

5 minutes ago, OV1kenobi said:

I will pretend to agree.

LOL!

Love the USMC!  Greatest American Patriots!

If you didn’t serve in the Army Cavalry,  at least you tried to do the right thing by being a Marine.

Thank you for your ser

vice 

You been drinkin', Bud?

I dig Marines. 99% of the Marines that I know are standup folks. Can't say that about my fellow Army vets.

Cavalry Regiments have always been considered a “cut above” regular Armored Regiments.

Snobbish? Damned right, we Cavalry Troopers are a cut above and snobbish.

Cavalry.

Cavalry Scouts.

Panzer Grenadiers.

Combination of the best of Armor and Infantry.

Hooah!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

You been drinkin', Bud?

I dig Marines. 99% of the Marines that I know are standup folks. Can't say that about my fellow Army vets.

Yeah, I’ve been  drinking! 

Love the Marines!

Have greater love  for The Cavalry 

Edited by OV1kenobi
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

Right on.

I understand your sentiment if you were a Marine.

I was a Cavalry Trooper (Scout.)

Tenth Regiment (Buffalo Soldier Regiment).

My love and loyalty is to my Nation (USA)

Then to my U.S. Army Regiment 

Tenth Cavalry 

6 years USMC Infantry. 

I still think Marine Armor is a myth. Or they were the greatest experts at camouflage the world never saw. Never worked with them. Only heard about them. 

Force Recon were fun to play with. Crazy bastards. Always looking for an excuse to advance from the water. 

• Like 2

Ask an Army 11B leg or Airborne what they think of Cavalry. The answers tend to be humorous. 

Marine armor is a lucky if it can get to the fight. The M1/M1A1 is a very heavy tank that isn't easily transportable and that runs counter to Marine Corps philosophy.  

9 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Ask an Army 11B leg or Airborne what they think of Cavalry. The answers tend to be humorous. 

Marine armor is a lucky if it can get to the fight. The M1/M1A1 is a very heavy tank that isn't easily transportable and that runs counter to Marine Corps philosophy.  

:mememe:

11B Air Assault - 3rd U.S. Infantry 

9/84 - 8/89

What's the Infantry motto? "Follow Me!"

Despite the bragging as a former Cavalry Scout, a serious question about the armor capabilities of the USMC. 

One might say that Cavalry is Armor, but on a much smaller and mobile scale, with an organic component of Infantry (Scouts.) Hit hard and fast. Gather recon and inflict mayhem.

Just wondered if the USMC had any similar formations.

When I was in the Cav, we were OPFOR for our Division. Therefore, we became familiar with each other’s tactics.

Army tactics.

Would have been interesting to have experienced a realistic training exercise between USMC Armor, if such Regiments exist, and Army Cavalry.

I think it would have been a great learning experience all the way around and would have benefited both services.

Edited by OV1kenobi