My new toy

Wyzz Kydd

On 8/19/2018 at 9:44 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

I’m about 50 miles from finishing the break in period. The manual says not to exceed 4000 RPMs so I’ve ‘pretty much’ stuck with that. I love track mode and it’s a manual, so manual shifting is my only option.

The manual is wrong. Engines need to be beat on from brand-new, not babbied. It's all about heat, pressure, metallurgy and getting parts to work together properly. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 11:11 PM, ASH said:

nice ride .   the battle between mustangs and camaros still rage on .  i think the current mustang  has the one up  til the chevy one ups again , mustang stock with A10 tranny   frunning in the ` 11''s  i think .   im ford guy   but the  new camaros are sweet  

Nah, the current 1Le Camaros are light-years ahead of the current Mustang, dollar for dollar, spec for spec. GM has an incredible winner on their hands with that Alpha platform, 1Les are beating serious hardware at the Nurburgring and other tracks. 

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

The manual is wrong. Engines need to be beat on from brand-new, not babbied. It's all about heat, pressure, metallurgy and getting parts to work together properly. 

No offense intended, but in this case I'll stick with the manual, particularly since the manual isn't written with the intent of babying the engine, it's to protect the electronic limited slip differential.  It's laid out pretty clearly in the regular owners manual and in an addendum about prepping it for track use. 

20 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

No offense intended, but in this case I'll stick with the manual, particularly since the manual isn't written with the intent of babying the engine, it's to protect the electronic limited slip differential.  It's laid out pretty clearly in the regular owners manual and in an addendum about prepping it for track use. 

It's your car, your choice. Don't say no one warned you.

17 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

It's your car, your choice. Don't say no one warned you.

I appreciate the warning.  Could you please explain to me why the people who designed and manufactured the car are wrong and you're right?  Specifically, why are the GM engineers wrong when they state that hard driving during the 500 mile break in will damage the electronic limited slip differential?

24 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I appreciate the warning.  Could you please explain to me why the people who designed and manufactured the car are wrong and you're right?  Specifically, why are the GM engineers wrong when they state that hard driving during the 500 mile break in will damage the electronic limited slip differential?

I wasn't suggesting that you immediately start cornering like Lewis Hamilton. Your ELSD is for putting the power down while cornering, but I never wrote anything about cornering hard early in your vehicle's life, nor did I intend it. What I meant/wrote was that your engine needs to be run moderately hard from the start. I've read of too many Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs that become oil-burners (high engine oil consumption) if they're not run a bit hard to seat rings, valves, etc. 

To have a healthy engine, get on the throttle hard here and there, take it to the RPM limit here and there. The trick is to not stay on it hard, or take it to the RPM limit and leave it there. Run it hard to the limit, then back off and cruise at normal RPMs/throttle. Let the rotating parts and cylinder head experience some heat and pressure, and then back off to let them cool. This beds/seats rings, valves, valve-seats, etc.

This is common-knowledge stuff for enthusiasts of such vehicles/engines, they need to be beat on a bit from the beginning for the engines to last long and not burn oil.

I really am just trying to be helpful.

Edited by M&P15T

1 minute ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Thanks!  I didn't think you were doing anything other than trying to be helpful, which is why I wanted to know your reasoning.  It's a moot point now as I'm already through the break in period.

It's not like the "break-in period" is a specific mile on the odometer, just go ahead and run her hard starting today.

I've notice, from many sources, that when someone buys a really nice, life-long-dream, sporty vehicle, they tend to baby it. Become........a little......obsessive. For instance, you actually read the manual. That right there tells me you're going to be..........very focused on your car.?

What that sometimes leads to, is new owners that really baby the engine from the start, and with modern high-compression engines, that leads to oil-burners. Oddly, it's the people that absolutely do not give a crap about their vehicles, that break the engines in properly, and have no problems for hundreds of thousands of miles. While those that have lusted, dreamed, saved, scrimped and fallen in love with their new Love Ride, tend to be too gentle on them.

26 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Oh.....and.....

Beautiful car. Absolutely gorgeous. Start saving for new tires now, they don't last long.

Speaking of which, does your car have run-flat UHP tires?

You got that right.  The original tires on my 2016 Camaro SS lasted one year.  These tires aren't run flat, which is fine with me, I don't care for run flat tires.  There's some kind of tire repair kit in the trunk and I have roadside assistance through USAA.

Don't worry, I'm not known for taking it easy on my sports cars.  I am a bit obsessive about keeping them clean, damage free and well maintained, but they were meant to be driven, not coddled.

My 1969 GTO did plenty of 1/4 miles, my Twin Turbo Mazda RX7 saw 160 mph+ more than once and my 2016 Camaro SS saw 150+ a couple of times.  I hate to even think about the things I used to do with my GPZ 1100 and my Sabre 1100, I'm lucky to be alive with the risks I used to take on those two. 

Today I was impressed to see that this car can hit 60+ in second gear without redlining.  I'll probably take her for a spin after lunch then go bass fishing.

5 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

You got that right.  The original tires on my 2016 Camaro SS lasted one year.  These tires aren't run flat, which is fine with me, I don't care for run flat tires.  There's some kind of tire repair kit in the trunk and I have roadside assistance through USAA.

Don't worry, I'm not known for taking it easy on my sports cars.  I am a bit obsessive about keeping them clean, damage free and well maintained, but they were meant to be driven, not coddled.

My 1969 GTO did plenty of 1/4 miles, my Twin Turbo Mazda RX7 saw 160 mph+ more than once and my 2016 Camaro SS saw 150+ a couple of times.  I hate to even think about the things I used to do with my GPZ 1100 and my Sabre 1100, I'm lucky to be alive with the risks I used to take on those two. 

Today I was impressed to see that this car can hit 60+ in second gear without redlining.  I'll probably take her for a spin after lunch then go bass fishing.

O.k., so you're no noob!!! 

I'm shopping right now to replace my tires, and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires have the best feed-back on Tirerack.com in the UHP Summer Only segment. 

Firestone....I know, right? I never would have thought Firestone would make a great tire for our cars. And they're dirt cheap too.

Edited by M&P15T

3 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

O.k., so you're no noob!!! 

I'm shopping right now to replace my tires, and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires are the highest rated tire in the UHP Summer Only segment.

Firestone....I know, right? I never would have thought Firestone would make a great tire for our cars. And they're dirt cheap too.

That's good to know!  Thanks!

I'm off for a spin and to get a quote on window tint, if they're not busy I may have them install it now.

27 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Geez, window tinting must be a lucrative business, the first appointment I could get was September 11th.

85420A7D-3B52-4409-ACF5-7978ED3EA975.jpeg

60E21128-6DE3-4A65-B79C-601C420B6C08.jpeg

I've never understood tinting. But then I like an open driving experience, as much sun and fresh air as possible.

I really should own a convertible.

I had a Mazda MX5 hard top convertible, which was a fun car.  I learned that during the summer having the roof down wasn't very comfortable other than early mornings and late afternoons, particularly given I don't have any hair left on my head.  During the winter I was subject to brain freeze for the same reason.  But when the weather is right there's a lot to be said for a convertible.

10 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I had a Mazda MX5 hard top convertible, which was a fun car.  I learned that during the summer having the roof down wasn't very comfortable other than early mornings and late afternoons, particularly given I don't have any hair left on my head.  During the winter I was subject to brain freeze for the same reason.  But when the weather is right there's a lot to be said for a convertible.

I was chatting on-line with the GT folks about possibly getting a convertible. All you baldies kept saying I'd hate it after awhile, and my head would burn.

Explaining I had my hair seemed to fall on deaf ears.? Plus, you know, there's hats. 

I'd be the guy that wears the top out from putting it up and down so often.

Edited by M&P15T

13 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Hannie can post pictures!!!!! Yay! Nice car by the way. I think it's actually better looking than the newer ones.

Hannie's pic links to GT.  I'm banned from that forum, so unfortunately I can't see the picture of her car.  Since she's a Georgia fan (Roll Tide)  I'm going to assume it's red like mine.  I like the look of the 2010 Camaro's but they run on a bigger heavier chassis.  Part of the appeal of the 6th generation Camaro's is that they're on a smaller lighter chassis that performs much better than the older one did.  That's one of the reasons they're beating BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris and Lamborghinis on the track.

12 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

I was chatting on-line with the GT folks about possibly getting a convertible. All you baldies kept saying I'd hate it after awhile, and my head would burn.

Explaining I had my hair seemed to fall on deaf ears.? Plus, you know, there's hats. 

I'd be the guy that wears the top out from putting it up and down so often.

I lost a few hats that way. At 6' tall my head was up in the slipstream.  If the MX5 had more power I would still have one, the hard top was really nice, but they're just too under powered for me.  The convertible Camaros have a reputation for being very loose, which I can't stand in a sports car.

5 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

The convertible Camaros have a reputation for being very loose, which I can't stand in a sports car.

The current Camaro? By very loose, do you mean too much structural rigidity loss with the convertible?

I drove a convertible Mustang, you could tell it had lost structural rigidity. I would look at a convertible Mustang more a a relaxed cruiser, not a Sports Coupe.