My new toy

Wyzz Kydd

The cartoon Camaro has come a long ways since 2008 or whenever it was.    It's the best its been since the retro redo and growing on me a lot.   This is coming from a Mustang guy.  ;)  

Congrats and drive the hell out of it Wyzz.     

P.S.  I vote on skip the mud flaps.  and most definitely tint the windows.  :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crockett said:

PS: break it in the hard way (throughout the rev band), or at least drive it in track mode, shif manually and avoid the same RPM, or the rings won't seat properly and it will burn oil for the rest of its life.

I’m about 50 miles from finishing the break in period. The manual says not to exceed 4000 RPMs so I’ve ‘pretty much’ stuck with that. I love track mode and it’s a manual, so manual shifting is my only option.

• Like 1

nice ride .   the battle between mustangs and camaros still rage on .  i think the current mustang  has the one up  til the chevy one ups again , mustang stock with A10 tranny   frunning in the ` 11''s  i think .   im ford guy   but the  new camaros are sweet  

1 hour ago, Mr. Black said:

P.S.  I vote on skip the mud flaps.  and most definitely tint the windows.  :)

The thing is those 305 30ZR 20s stick out beyond the wheel well in back and the 285 30ZR 20s do the same up front. They’re sticky and throw debris against the quarter panels. My 2016 SS had the same issue but with slightly smaller tires.

3 minutes ago, ASH said:

nice ride .   the battle between mustangs and camaros still rage on .  i think the current mustang  has the one up  til the chevy one ups again , mustang stock with A10 tranny   frunning in the ` 11''s  i think .   im ford guy   but the  new camaros are sweet  

Here’s what MotorTrend said about the SS 1LE vs the Mustang GT PP2.

“Around our figure-eight track, the Mustang managed a 24.0-second lap. That's a fantastic time, especially because the 2016 Mustang GT needed 24.4 seconds, and the BMW M4 takes 24.1 seconds. So that's good company. But by comparison, the Nissan GT-R NISMO, Porsche 991 GT3, and Porsche 991.2 Turbo S all dance the figure eight in a significantly quicker 22.9 seconds. I mention this because so does the Camaro. I'm still having a hard time processing that number, but it is true. The workaday Chevy runs even with the world's elite performance cars in a true handling test.

For the record, the quickest time we've ever seen around the figure eight is 22.2 seconds, put down by both the Porsche 918 Spyder and the Lamborghini Hurac n Performante. Meaning the Camaro 1LE is within spitting distance.”

I like Mustangs, they spit out more horses-though less torque-and are the classic muscle car. But they haven’t made the leap to near supercar status the Camaro has.

“Then came the track. We took the two American icons out to Streets of Willow. Here's the good news for Ford fans. The fastback GT laid down a 1:23.97 lap. That's 0.24 second off the aforementioned M4 (1:23.73), just quicker than a Lexus RC F (1:24.08), and nearly three tenths of a second better than a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack (1:24.29). The bad news? The Camaro SS 1LE laid down a 1:20.67 lap, 3.3 seconds quicker. In other words, these two cars wouldn't be allowed to race together. Different class doesn't cover it. The list of cars the Camaro went faster than should embarrass some OEMs: Porsche Cayman GT4, 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus, Ferrari458 Italia. I mean, come on!”

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2018/2018-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-vs-2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I’m about 50 miles from finishing the break in period. The manual says not to exceed 4000 RPMs so I’ve ‘pretty much’ stuck with that. I love track mode and it’s a manual, so manual shifting is my only option.

At least manual.

I stuck to the book and RPM limit with my C7, which resulted in 2 quarts being burned every 1,000 miles. Please check your oil level regularly. I didn't because I'm not used to any oil usage in new cars. When I did my second oil change at 5,000 miles. Half was gone. At 10k I was at 2 quarts / 1k miles. And don't forget your 500 mile oil change, in my case it wasn't in the owners manual and the sales person told me about this change because GM found out that something isn't right with the break-in of many 6.2s. 

Edited by crockett

4 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Bought it Monday. 2018 Camaro SS 1LE. I’m going to add rock flaps tint the windows and call it done.

A53D2094-D908-4649-8910-B6B3B4603D8F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Here’s what MotorTrend said about the SS 1LE vs the Mustang GT PP2.

“Around our figure-eight track, the Mustang managed a 24.0-second lap. That's a fantastic time, especially because the 2016 Mustang GT needed 24.4 seconds, and the BMW M4 takes 24.1 seconds. So that's good company. But by comparison, the Nissan GT-R NISMO, Porsche 991 GT3, and Porsche 991.2 Turbo S all dance the figure eight in a significantly quicker 22.9 seconds. I mention this because so does the Camaro. I'm still having a hard time processing that number, but it is true. The workaday Chevy runs even with the world's elite performance cars in a true handling test.

For the record, the quickest time we've ever seen around the figure eight is 22.2 seconds, put down by both the Porsche 918 Spyder and the Lamborghini Hurac n Performante. Meaning the Camaro 1LE is within spitting distance.”

I like Mustangs, they spit out more horses-though less torque-and are the classic muscle car. But they haven’t made the leap to near supercar status the Camaro has.

“Then came the track. We took the two American icons out to Streets of Willow. Here's the good news for Ford fans. The fastback GT laid down a 1:23.97 lap. That's 0.24 second off the aforementioned M4 (1:23.73), just quicker than a Lexus RC F (1:24.08), and nearly three tenths of a second better than a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack (1:24.29). The bad news? The Camaro SS 1LE laid down a 1:20.67 lap, 3.3 seconds quicker. In other words, these two cars wouldn't be allowed to race together. Different class doesn't cover it. The list of cars the Camaro went faster than should embarrass some OEMs: Porsche Cayman GT4, 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus, Ferrari458 Italia. I mean, come on!”

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2018/2018-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-vs-2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/

I hate car payments, but I'm almost drooling.

NICE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

At least manual.

I stuck to the book and RPM limit with my C7, which resulted in 2 quarts being burned every 1,000 miles. Please check your oil level regularly. I didn't because I'm not used to any oil usage in new cars. When I did my second oil change at 5,000 miles. Half was gone. At 10k I was at 2 quarts / 1k miles. And don't forget your 500 mile oil change, in my case it wasn't in the owners manual and the sales person told me about this change because GM found out that something isn't right with the break-in of many 6.2s. 

It's the very first start-up that's most critical in regards to proper ring seating. That's out of the hands of the first owner.

Sounds like GM screwed-up there. I mean the texture and grit of the finally cylinder bore honing must be compatible with the type/material of the rings, and that all must be considered with first start-up. It's all friction related.... too much heat and you loose the ability of the rings to apply pressure against the cylinder walls, not enough heat and rings are in left field not knowing the reason for their existence.

ETA: I'll guess GM went with an aggressive cylinder hone to provide good compression ring seating, but that caused the oil rings to overheat.

Edited by *OldSchool*

6 hours ago, *OldSchool* said:

It's the very first start-up that's most critical in regards to proper ring seating. That's out of the hands of the first owner.

Sounds like GM screwed-up there. I mean the texture and grit of the finally cylinder bore honing must be compatible with the type/material of the rings, and that all must be considered with first start-up. It's all friction related.... too much heat and you loose the ability of the rings to apply pressure against the cylinder walls, not enough heat and rings are in left field not knowing the reason for their existence.

ETA: I'll guess GM went with an aggressive cylinder hone to provide good compression ring seating, but that caused the oil rings to overheat.

Based on my experiences with building race engines for Superbike Unlimited (and at Benz in R&D back in the 90s), the break-in process depends on the load foremost, and varies between 50 miles and well over 300 miles. A 6.2 NA Corvette engine broken-in by the book (owners manual) will take a very long time to break in, and will not break in properly at all.

The right thing to do, would be a 3x3 set varying RPM all the way to the limiter, 30 / 60 / WOT run on a dyno with proper cooling. That will do 90% of the break-in right there, followed by the first oil change.

A Corvette or SS with some 15 miles from test rides and delivery is not broken in, unless somebody went totally nuts right away.

I like the looks a lot. Have had rentals, both hard top and convertible. Even the rental variety was plenty  fast, all auto tranny’s.  At my height and the seats not adjusting a lot hard to see out and around the blind spots... but it is so dang good looking walking up to itt, is a grin every time. 

Edited by Moeman
  • Like 1

I'm thinking 50% tint on the sides, 35% tint for the back window and nothing on the windshield. 

I'm trying to decide between Llumar, which will cost $159 for the car (seems very inexpensive to me) or 3M Crystalline, which I haven't priced yet.  Anyone know whether the 3M is significantly better?

35 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I'm thinking 50% tint on the sides, 35% tint for the back window and nothing on the windshield. 

I'm trying to decide between Llumar, which will cost $159 for the car (seems very inexpensive to me) or 3M Crystalline, which I haven't priced yet.  Anyone know whether the 3M is significantly better?

Ceramic stuff is better... all depend how hot/sunny it is where you are at.... don’t know the brands anymore. Here it is hot, so worth it to go with the good stuff especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while. I put too dark think on my back window, mistake. Driving at night hard to see out of. 

• Like 1