Eric

Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

42 minutes ago, Eric said:

1596767875_image_mmthumb.jpeg

F4U-5 (?) Note the unusual antenna mast configuration. I haven't seen that before. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

F4U-5 (?) Note the unusual antenna mast configuration. I haven't seen that before. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

That was quite common in WWII.  Their communications were at short wave frequencies, requiring longer wire antennas.  Microwave radio equipment wasn't advanced enough and had a weight and size penalty.

Many aircraft of that era had wire antennas from behind the cockpit to the rudder.  It was away from the skin for maximum radiation and to give a better radiation pattern for longer distances. 

Present day aircraft use much higher radio frequencies, and can utilize complex gain antennas, hidden in, or under, a non-conductive skin.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

That is an F4U-5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

That was quite common in WWII.  Their communications were at short wave frequencies, requiring longer wire antennas.  Microwave radio equipment wasn't advanced enough and had a weight and size penalty.

Many aircraft of that era had wire antennas from behind the cockpit to the rudder.  It was away from the skin for maximum radiation and to give a better radiation pattern for longer distances. 

Present day aircraft use much higher radio frequencies, and can utilize complex gain antennas, hidden in, or under, a non-conductive skin.

I meant the mast behind the rudder.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

1596767875_image_mmthumb.jpeg

I wonder if that might be a night fighter. I thought that was a torpedo in a central pylon, but it could be a radome, and it looks like flash hiders on the cannon. I'm used to seeing F4U night fighters with wing radomes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I wonder if that might be a night fighter. I thought that was a torpedo in a central pylon, but it could be a radome, and it looks like flash hiders on the cannon. I'm used to seeing F4U night fighters with wing radomes.

There was a carrier-based night fighter version built. Could be.

• Thanks 1

OK, I found another pic. It was all about the angle. It's actually a wing radome.

This beautiful U.S. Navy Vought F4U-2 Corsair night fighter photo was taken at Pease, NH, Aug. 2011.

• Thanks 1

Just now, gwalchmai said:

OK, I found another pic. It was all about the angle. It's actually a wing radome.

This beautiful U.S. Navy Vought F4U-2 Corsair night fighter photo was taken at Pease, NH, Aug. 2011.

Notice the reduced wingspan as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I meant the mast behind the rudder.

Sorry, my bad!

It's weird to see that thing flying so low to the ground.

1597283947_117641266_3283199105095177_5072358269960522429_n_mmthumb.jpg.e814a0c9b32edbe273689d1501b3072f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Eric said:

1597978565_118268890_2745730402339485_1700735365062291306_o_mmthumb.jpg

I think you could give a blind man a model of the TU-22, and he would exclaim, "ah a Tupolev!"  😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

You don't see this view too much.

B58_1.jpg.1b481b0043c90cc3cc5880cda6c176c9.jpg

A Hustler in the dark.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Al Czervik said:

I looked at a lot of those in the dark.  Wait, no that was my brother.

We are all God's children in the dark.

• Like 1