Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

16 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

F4U-5 (?) Note the unusual antenna mast configuration. I haven't seen that before. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

That was quite common in WWII.  Their communications were at short wave frequencies, requiring longer wire antennas.  Microwave radio equipment wasn't advanced enough and had a weight and size penalty.

Many aircraft of that era had wire antennas from behind the cockpit to the rudder.  It was away from the skin for maximum radiation and to give a better radiation pattern for longer distances. 

Present day aircraft use much higher radio frequencies, and can utilize complex gain antennas, hidden in, or under, a non-conductive skin.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

That was quite common in WWII.  Their communications were at short wave frequencies, requiring longer wire antennas.  Microwave radio equipment wasn't advanced enough and had a weight and size penalty.

Many aircraft of that era had wire antennas from behind the cockpit to the rudder.  It was away from the skin for maximum radiation and to give a better radiation pattern for longer distances. 

Present day aircraft use much higher radio frequencies, and can utilize complex gain antennas, hidden in, or under, a non-conductive skin.

I meant the mast behind the rudder.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I wonder if that might be a night fighter. I thought that was a torpedo in a central pylon, but it could be a radome, and it looks like flash hiders on the cannon. I'm used to seeing F4U night fighters with wing radomes.

There was a carrier-based night fighter version built. Could be.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...