Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

The Douglas XB-19 had swept-back wings mounted lower.

I think that that might be the B-17 prototype;  the Model 229.

Though, the waist is a bit too narrow, the wings are  mounted at an angle, it appears, and those aren't radial engines.

Nope.

Not a Model 229.

The rounded rudder  and no extension of the empannage under the tail tells me that it is a B-15.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Edited by tous
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tous said:

The Douglas XB-19 had swept-back wings mounted lower.

I think that that might be the B-17 prototype;  the Model 229.

Though, the waist is a bit too narrow, the wings are  mounted at an angle, it appears, and those aren't radial engines.

Nope.

Not a Model 229.

The rounded rudder  and no extension of the empannage under the tail tells me that it is a B-15.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

You're an incredible source of information sir.:cool:

You will think me odd, but sitting here with a browser and the entire Internet at my disposal, my first thought to answer the question was to refer to several books on aircraft, from the very begiining to the turn of the century that I have in a bookcase behind me.

I do the same to identify automobiles and ships.

Books.

I am old.

:biggrin:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tous said:

You will think me odd, but sitting here with a browser and the entire Internet at my disposal, my first thought to answer the question was to refer to several books on aircraft, from the very begiining to the turn of the century that I have in a bookcase behind me.

I do the same to identify automobiles and ships.

Books.

I am old.

:biggrin:

You're Incredible sir.  Always enjoy anything you have to say.:cool:

• Like 1

When trying to identify pre-war, American automobiles, I focus on the radiator shells and grills.

The cars were all shaped basically the same, but each manufacturer had a distinct grill as their trademark, I suppose.

Not always definitive, but a danged good clue.

It is always good if you can clearly see the hood ornament.

Another good clue.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, Al Czervik said:

Anyone know what this bird is?

Looks to me like a Helio Courier that grew a turbine engine and wink tanks. As I remember the first true STOL bird, but leading edge slots and slats were involved and I don't see them here.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, Al Czervik said:

The Staggerwing is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever made.

Saw one on the ramp in Hampton NH, probably decades ago. The interior was bigger than you'd think from looking at the airframe, and well appointed.

30 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Looks to me like a Helio Courier that grew a turbine engine and wink tanks. As I remember the first true STOL bird, but leading edge slots and slats were involved and I don't see them here.

Close, it is a Helio Stallion.  20 were made.  

• Like 1

I have to wonder if there's such a complete collection of aircraft pics anywhere else?

Helio Stallion! I see the family resemblance. There was a Mel Gibson movie that showed one in the Viet Nam war era, "Air America."

Looking at some of the bizarre experimental aircraft I can't help but wonder why anybody in their right minds would test fly them. The sanity of the designers is also suspect.

8 hours ago, Paul53 said:

I have to wonder if there's such a complete collection of aircraft pics anywhere else?

Helio Stallion! I see the family resemblance. There was a Mel Gibson movie that showed one in the Viet Nam war era, "Air America."

Looking at some of the bizarre experimental aircraft I can't help but wonder why anybody in their right minds would test fly them. The sanity of the designers is also suspect.

That was a PC-6, Pilatus Porter.  They look similar.

Indeed.

Though there is horizontal wind shear, the vertical type is far more common.

Were that wind shear, we would see the aircraft violently hop to one side or the other, not float.

The sudden direction change (up, down, port, starboard) can go from 0 knots to 50 knots in the blink of an eye and change direction just as  rapidly.

Makes the pilot's day exciting.

• Like 1