What's the strangest firearm you've carried for self-defense?

fortyofforty

Wife’s family has a couple thousand acres in BFE.

Just for fun every year I carry a Colt 1851 Navy reproduction for the week we spend up there. 

I load it with 25 grains of Pyrodex P, round ball and seal the chambers with Bore Butter. 

Suprisingly, I don’t feel unarmed. Despite the small caliber round ball having an obvious lack of power, the gun is a confidence inspiring solid chunk of steel, and its truly an incredibly accurate handgun. 

It shoots to POA perfectly.  

I am considering a Flintlock or Percussion cap rifle to back it up on the four wheeler rack. 

Its fun at the farm, but I would never hit the street in the city with a cap & ball. That’s a big heavy gun to carry in street clothes, and the reload capability is practically non-existent.  

• Like 2

I had a .32 and a .38 Derringer years ago. They were a response to a childhood dandy named Yancy Derringer that was on t.v. They were difficult to cock, and I figured they would get me killed in a real SD situation. Only cost $76 & $86. Both (along with a Beretta .25) were traded for a Kahr CW9 which I carry almost always. No seller's remorse!

Edited by rayzer007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

Anyone ever carry a Deringer?  How about a Derringer?  ?

No, but my grandfather carried a .32 auto derringer for many years. I always wanted it, but unfortunately a meth addict cousin stole it along with a lot of other family heirlooms and sold them for dope. 

• Sad 1

Personally,  Antique Derringer in .38 S&W.  

Military? M72A2 LAW. 

There was a prison break next to a military installation and we believed they were on base and possibly had a guards pistol. Long story but I wound up walking guard duty with a LAW. We were guarding a truck full of LAWs so we opened a case. A flashlight just didn’t seem to cut it. 

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, Smith10 said:

Coonan 357.

AMT 22wmr

Been itching lately to carry a single action Ruger 

I carried a 5 1/2 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk on a road trip driving from Los Angeles to Spokane Washington and back in the late 70's. I carried it cross draw and wore a sportcoat for cover. I would have normally carried a Charter Arms bulldog but I was visiting my brother and I wanted to show him my Blackhawk that a gunsmith (King's gun works in Glendale, CA)  had cut down the barrel from 7 1/2 inches to 5 and 1/2 and had done a trigger job on it.

I slept in my car at rest stops and it was very comforting to have that gun with me. Rest stops can be very dangerous places. I was young and crazy back then but never got into any trouble.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, fortyofforty said:

Anyone ever carry a Deringer?  How about a Derringer?  ?

I've carried a chrome-plated Davis over/under derringer in 32 ACP  but it wasn't very accurate because there wasn't much to hold on to, 

Another Derringer that I've carried that was much better in this regard was the High Standard Double action over/under derringer in 22 WMR. It has a long enough barrel to get a little more velocity out of the 22 magnum to make it better than a 22LR and if you hold it with your index finger along the side of they barrel and use your middle finger to pull the trigger you get a higher more secure grip on it and with the larger middle finder it's easier to pull the trigger and with the index finger in line with the barrel it points naturally. It's also better than a standard O/U derringer or mini revolver because you don't have to cock the trigger for each shot and re-adjust your grip.

But the 22 magnum out of a short barrel isn't really much of a magnum and the 22 LR out of a short barrel is more like a 22 short while out of a rife barrel it's absolutely deadly. The Keltec PMR 22 mag pistol at leas has enough barrel length to duplicate 22 Long rifle ballistics out of a rifle but even it would be better with a longer barrel like about a 7 inch.

5 hours ago, limeylad said:

I've carried a Colt Derringer in 22 short. looked like this:

5987428_03_colt_lord_derringer_22_short_s_640.jpg.184008efbe36fe8149b00b71ced1c7c9.jpg

In a garter, on your thigh? ?

Seriously, I'd consider that a "marker" pistol:  it won't stop an attacker, but the police might be able to find him later if he seeks medical treatment or is found with a bullet wound.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, fortyofforty said:

In a garter, on your thigh? ?

Seriously, I'd consider that a "marker" pistol:  it won't stop an attacker, but the police might be able to find him later if he seeks medical treatment or is found with a bullet wound.

I think a garter would support the weight!

When home I often strap on my Heritage Rough Rider (with the .22WMR cylinder in) I have a small pouch that is meant to hold 6 .38 Special rounds, but it fits 12 of the .22WMR   I use the Hornady Critical Defense load

I am a total old west geek & love single action revolvers. But this is the only one I own (so far)

I would love to get a Ruger Single Seven in .327 Federal mag & carry that

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't carried this Bond Arms Texas Defender except a couple of times for the hell of it. It is not practical but I like it. I figured the 45 ACP chambering would be more efficient than 45 Colt or 44 Special and BBTI seems to confirm that. I am not good beyond a few yards with it but for real close up it will hit pretty good. 

IMG_2062.JPG

• 2 weeks later...