Dremel-style grinder for dogs' nails

OldDad

I have a high-speed cordless Dremel, but it doesn't have the torque to grind the dogs' nails. Obviously I could use high speed and go slow grinding, but at high speed the thing is very loud and scary for the pups. Any thoughts about particular cordless tools that have more torque at lower speeds?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Collim1 said:

Sounds like a good way to get bitten. I honestly can’t imagine that would work better than a dedicated K9 nail trimmer. 

Available at Walmart and only cost a few dollars. 

By grinding you avoid ever cutting into the quick, with the extreme pain and copious blood associated with nippers. The dogs get used to it quickly and don't fear having their paws handled. I believe that most dog handlers grind.

2 hours ago, Jack Ryan said:

I use the standard regular old cordless dremel with a sanding drum. I think I run it on the low which is plenty fast enough. If he is pulling his foot away, it is getting close and the nail is getting hot. Just switch back and forth from one nail to the other. The dog will tell you when you are close to the quick. It is so easy I don't worry about getting that last little bit, just trim 'em more often. The more you do it the easier it gets and the faster it goes.

The only difference from what you described is our dremel has a cord. We learned about doing this from watching people at dog shows and asking a few questions.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, Jack Ryan said:

I read about it on line several years ago and tried out my corded dremel first. It worked good but the cord was just a hassle and that dog was a little more rowdy and we were both learning at the same time having used the cutter prior. BUT it was just great enough to make me realize how good it COULD be later when I saw my first cordless dremel.

The cordless don't seem to make as much noise and you can use it any where allowing for use where ever the dog is already used to be touched and handled. Plus on this dog the cordless thing made it easy to get him in to the idea by using it like massager with the other end while it ran for a few minutes a day for a couple days. Turning it on and just let it run while I gave him a piece of hot dog after rubbing it on him, then rubbing it on his feet. Then about the third day I hit a couple nails just a little bit...

It a week it was a good thing to him when the dremel came out and started running. He almost likes it now.

One thing worth noting I've never posted before but noticed I do each time is I pick up his foot like we are going to "shake". Then I do each toe individually holding his toe firmly as near to the nail as possible so the sanding action doesn't bounce his toe all around. If I just hold his foot and try to do it then what ever toe you are doing ... it just doesn't work right. It's probably obvious to any one trying to do it but it just works good to hold the toe you are working on firmly while you are trying to sand the end of that nail.

When I do his back feet while he is sitting I'll not even lift his foot. With no cord lets you move all around in any position easy and I'll just lift one toe at a time while his back foot is still on the ground and do each toe. Then I'll have him turn around like I do when I want to brush the other side and sit so I can do each toe on the other foot. I do it on the front porch with him on the porch and I sit down on the steps. Less bending over and he is used to being handled out there.

We will have to get a cordless unit and try, I didn't think there would be a difference. It sounds like you handle their paws the same way we do. We have hard wood floors so when we hear their nails making noise it is time for a trim.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

• 2 months later...