Georgia police defend tasing 87-year-old grandmother

pipedreams

12 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I think the probability of me being rushed by a bear (or a lion or an elephant or Sasquatch) are pretty close to zero but I have been rushed by human beings a few times and that’s what I was referring to.

What about all the ones that have been escaping from the zoos lately?  Keep your head on a swivel.  Bears and moose you just can't reason with, and they refuse to be arrested. LOL. 

1 minute ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Lol.

I have a rifle in 300 Win Mag, I think that should be good enough for anything in North America.

I remember a time on a remote hunt when I was searching for a way through a brush patch. After my third pass by, a huge brown bear got up and trotted off. His ass looked the size of a truck. He had let me go by within 50 yards 3 times. I looked at my Sako .300 mag and decided I didn't have enough gun on me (had a Redhawk on my hip also) to be where I was all by myself, and headed back to camp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBO said:

Said like someone with an opinion, but no real knowledge about edged weapons. 

I am more into Tai Chi than Kenpo these days; don't practice much, but back in the day; I knew half a dozen ways to disarm a knife attacker if it is a surprise. Sure you will probably get cut, but you will not be filleted out like a mullet like the guy in your picture.  If he comes at me with a knife I am running away.  I can still probably hold my own with someone my age with a bit of practice; but it is so much easier to shoot somebody now.  I carry a cane on airplane flights; not because I am disabled, but because it is a weapon the airline/TSA won't take from me.

6 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

I am more into Tai Chi than Kenpo these days; don't practice much, but back in the day; I knew half a dozen ways to disarm a knife attacker if it is a surprise. Sure you will probably get cut, but you will not be filleted out like a mullet like the guy in your picture.  If he comes at me with a knife I am running away.  I can still probably hold my own with someone my age with a bit of practice; but it is so much easier to shoot somebody now.  I carry a cane on airplane flights; not because I am disabled, but because it is a weapon the airline/TSA won't take from me.

I'm too old to run away. I'd just die tired.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C_Hallbert said:

Yes. The Cops were morons. The degree of professionalism, situational analysis and the intelligence level demonstrated were off the scale, subliminally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing with police work is that the "information" you get when dispatched is quite likely to be completely wrong when you arrive on scene. The people calling it in and giving details are almost as likely to be as clueless as the person of interest. Police have to begin each interaction as if the person involved is armed (with more than a knife) and go from there. At best, you hope that dispatch gets you to the right location and talking to the person you should be. I can't count the number of times I finished a call and thought, where the hell did all that dispatch information come from?

These officers could have very well overreacted. I wasn't there. I'd like to see more information before calling them morons.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I remember a time on a remote hunt when I was searching for a way through a brush patch. After my third pass by, a huge brown bear got up and trotted off. His ass looked the size of a truck. He had let me go by within 50 yards 3 times. I looked at my Sako .300 mag and decided I didn't have enough gun on me (had a Redhawk on my hip also) to be where I was all by myself, and headed back to camp. 

I’m not a hunter, my dad gave me the 300, pre 64 Winchester Model 70. I keep it because he gave it to me and I think it’s collectible. I’ve fired it at a 200 yard range a few times and hope to try it out at a 1000 yard range some day.

Again you show your ignorance of edged weapons.

A single cut/stab can be fatal or permanently disabling, even a shallow one.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TBO said:

Like getting some important tendons cut, or your liver perforated. Not to mention all the arteries that are just under the skin. Hit that femoral and you have just a few seconds before you wink out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I’m not a hunter, my dad gave me the 300, pre 64 Winchester Model 70. I keep it because he gave it to me and I think it’s collectible. I’ve fired it at a 200 yard range a few times and hope to try it out at a 1000 yard range some day.

Yeah, It's collectible. And huntable.

2 hours ago, TBO said:

Certainly one person's opinion I don't agree with.  20+ years of MA training has convinced me I can handle a close in knife attacker far better than a pistol attacker yards away. Plus I carry an Emerson Wave every day; so I am not entirely defenseless either. 

YMMV; we all have different life experiences and beliefs.

4 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Certainly one person's opinion I don't agree with.  20+ years of MA training has convinced me I can handle a close in knife attacker far better than a pistol attacker yards away. Plus I carry an Emerson Wave every day; so I am not entirely defenseless either. 

YMMV; we all have different life experiences and beliefs.

So  you trained in a safe environment, with training knives (not real edged weapons). 

You've never seen first hand the effects of a knife used on a human as a matter of routine. 

You're not alone, you're in the majority. Even in LE this is an issue, and the reason a decade ago I added shock knives to our training budget. 

Prior to that hard rubber knives were used. Yeah, they can touch you, but they don't impart any read respect for what a real knife that touches you can do. Same for chalking the edges of the "fake" knife.

The shock knife on high feels remarkably like being cut by a knife (I have first hand experience with the shock knife and real knife cuts). 

Now the knife gets a lot more respect/attention in training, and on the street. 

• Like 1

The thing with police work is that the "information" you get when dispatched is quite likely to be completely wrong when you arrive on scene. The people calling it in and giving details are almost as likely to be as clueless as the person of interest. Police have to begin each interaction as if the person involved is armed (with more than a knife) and go from there. At best, you hope that dispatch gets you to the right location and talking to the person you should be. I can't count the number of times I finished a call and thought, where the hell did all that dispatch information come from?
These officers could have very well overreacted. I wasn't there. I'd like to see more information before calling them morons.

You are just minded and want to be fair. I am pretty sure that I’m older and probably less patient with foolishness. The woman who was Tazed was 87 years old. She was physically unable to pose a serious threat with a knife. People of her age are obviously weak, slow, and poorly coordinated. A cursory situational analysis should have been enough to satisfy responding offices that she did not pose a serious threat.

Next, there were no reports of violence, threats of violence, or evidence that the aged subject was intent on inflicting violence on officers, others, or herself in evidence by her actions, threatening displays, or verbiage, so there was neither urgency to effect physical control, nor exigency due to imminent escape.

Last, in view of the totality of the situation, it is obvious (at least to me) that the Officer whom deployed his Taser was fixated with tunnel vision on the knife alone and blind to the overall circumstances that should in reality have elicited a kind smile, calm demeanor, and the appropriate patience commensurate with the situation before him. Fortunately, the Taser did not kill the woman.

The Officer did not really deserve a terrible flogging; but in the old days when intelligence, inexcitability, calm demeanor and good judgment were characteristics of Law Enforcement Officers, an act of indiscretion of this nature would have brought an ass chewing from the Chief and drawn laughter, annoying harassment and hazing by an entire department until somebody else screwed the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think the officer should even have to risk getting the tendons on his hand severed trying to disarm the woman, let alone suffering a life-threatening injury.  That said, does anyone who thinks the officer was at fault believe the helpless old lady should have been handcuffed, especially handcuffed behind her back?

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, Silentpoet said:

Pepper spray might also have more respiratory effects on an 87 year old woman.  I know it does with toddlers and infants.  Policy was we weren’t to deploy pepper spray in the vicinity of young children.  

If the woman was advancing with a blade, it might have been within policy and training to use the taser.  Maybe not within wiser officer’s discretion, but within the training the officer was given.

Agreed... Pepper spraying an 87yr old woman could easily be a death sentence.  If you're not gonna shoot her, Tasing is the best option.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TBO said:

So  you trained in a safe environment, with training knives (not real edged weapons). 

You've never seen first hand the effects of a knife used on a human as a matter of routine. 

You're not alone, you're in the majority. Even in LE this is an issue, and the reason a decade ago I added shock knives to our training budget. 

Prior to that hard rubber knives were used. Yeah, they can touch you, but they don't impart any read respect for what a real knife that touches you can do. Same for chalking the edges of the "fake" knife.

The shock knife on high feels remarkably like being cut by a knife (I have first hand experience with the shock knife and real knife cuts). 

Now the knife gets a lot more respect/attention in training, and on the street. 

I've seen some wicked knife/shank wounds... NO WAY.. I'm ever going hands on w/ an edged weapon attacker unless it is 100% necessary (Ie, I'm unarmed and have no other means of defense).  Honestly, although I've only saw a couple of gunshot wounds... Knife/Shank wounds scare me way more than gunshots.

• Like 2

if  scared of grandma  just bean bag her in hip and take her out  , counter terrorist style, alot of folks in these parts  have been laughing their ass off, kinda went viral , and i got friends who are gonna

have some interesting  halloween costumes , lool

6c5f9818902c194b2c28e75b8a182a15.gif

• Like 1