Ruger 22/45 Lite troubleshooting

PNWguy

I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite that is deadly accurate but it has random FTF issues.  Happens with different ammo, so I don't think it's that.  What should I be looking at to start troubleshooting?  Known issues with these that I can check?

1) clean chamber - to make sure rounds seat fully.  Don't want to waste FP energy moving the round forward.

2) Check the FP - are you getting strong impressions on the rim, or is the pin chipped/worn

3) Check the FP spring - weak or binding spring isn't going to give you a full force primer strike.

4) check the rounds that don't fire - I find a number of 22LR rounds with dents in the case.  Out of round rounds may not fully seat in the chamber.

I like my 22/45, but fieldstripping is a pain!

• Like 2

Is this a new 22/45 Lite? If it is, then it may just need some time to break in.

I had trouble with mine when I first got it, Mostly FTE's but some FTF's too. After a few hudrend rounds of CCI Mini Mags, everything seemed to fall into place.

I do still have problems with Remington Golden Bullets, but I have problems with them in almost everything I load them in.

• Thanks 1

You say different ammo.

How many of the rounds that did it were Remington? While Remington used to be good cheap plinking ammo, it all sucks today. I have had rounds that failed to fire several times. When that happens, I pull the bullet. I have found them with shattered priming compound, no priming compound, no priming compound and powder, and just some with no powder. Next time it happens pull the bullets and try to exclude the gun from the equation. 

I don't have that model, but did Voquartsen a MKIII. It got the full treatment including the bolt rebuilt with a VQ firing pin. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had some early feeding issues with my 22/45 Lite on its first range trip.  Cleaning the mags thoroughly and shooting a few hundred rounds helped a lot, but it still doesn't like 1985 Gun Show Mystery ammo.

ETA:  Sorry, OP.  I read that "FTF" as Failure to Feed.  Should I have read it as  "Failure to Fire?"

Edited by Spats McGee
Realized I may have misread the OP

• 4 months later...

I'm just following up here because my 22/45 Lite had some failures to feed for a while. Magazine cleaning helped a lot, but it didn't cure the problem.  Early on, I cleaned it and lubed it with Weapon Shield grease the bolt on the "if it slides, grease it" theory.  Intermittent failures to feed persisted.  So I cleaned it and lubed with Hornady One Shot.  Intermittent failures persisted.  Then I cleaned and finally got smart enough to ask The Great Google about it.  Threads from Ruger forums said "light coat of oil on the bolt."  So I used Weapon Shield oil for that thin coat.  Yesterday, I fired a couple of hundred rounds (suppressed, which may make some difference, I guess) and think I had one failure to eject.  Rounds fired included Federal Automatch, Federal Game Kings, Remington Golden Bullets, Remington Thunderbolts and CCI standard velocity.

TLDR:  Lubing correctly helps.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, Mike said:

If it is a MKIII follow the above suggestions and also buy one of these https://www.tandemkross.com/LCI-Replacement-Insert--Black-for-Mark-III-and-2245-_p_16.html    and throw away the stock LCI. Those are known problems on these guns.

The LCI replacements are available in black or silver.

This.

The Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) Is basically a metal slat a that lies on the left side of the upper, immediately behind the chamber.  When a round is chambered, the LCI sticks out a bit and you can feel it with your fingers.

This LCI makes contact with the already fragile .22 chambering process.  I believe this causes a lot of feeding failures.

You can get a replacement "filler" that does not come into contact with the cartridge at all.

I did this and the feeding reliability of my Ruger 22/45 lite went up tremendously.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...