LEO dress code and use of military equip

GREYGHOST

Cool pictures, but it's also relevant to the discussion that in the time from when those pictures date, ANYONE could buy those machine guns, at the same prices as the police and without 'registering' or paying a tax for the privilege.
And anyone can buy an AR 15 pistol with brace today so your point is exactly?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We had a pile of gas masks and filters. We also got some m16a...they were all locked away. I don't think we ever issued them.

We also had a grant that gave us a life time supply of children's bike helmets.

And I'm not sure why but a national guard ice cream maker.  Now that I'd like to see work. We might be able to give away free ice cream at a festival or fair.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Fyrtwuck said:

There is a rural town to the north of me. Population a little over 800 with one officer on the street at any given time. I was driving through one day and noticed an old Army tracked APC sitting it a vacant lot. I got out to look at it and the officer on duty pulled up and we started talking about it. He said that they had received it as part of a federal equipment program free of charge. I asked what they were going to use it for and he said that he had no idea whatsoever. 

I'm sure he was right! 

However, in the remote possibility of a natural disaster, it might turn out to be just the right tool for negotiating routes impassible to other vehicles.  You never need emergency supplies, until the emergency.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 12:36 PM, TBO said:

An armored vehicle is not a tank.

Armour is defensive.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

In response to OP.  Thank you for your service.

Also, I'm less concerned about perception and more so performance.  BDU type uniforms are functional during things such as arrest warrant service and barricaded subjects.  They allow more freedom of movement and don't get torn up like polyester uniform pants.  Tactical vests offer more ballistic protection than soft concealable armor. 

As TBO mentioned, armor is defensive.  I've never seen a police armored vehicle with mounted weapons.  Some of the old school ones had what looked like a cannon, but was a ram for breaching doors.  MRAPs are sometimes used because they're free, although many departments find the maintenance to be pretty costly.

I know, at least with our tactical team, and ever other I've spoken with, the goal is a peaceful resolution.  Tactical advantage gives us a better chance of not being in a situation where we have to use force.  No matter how it looks, the results of teams that do it right speak for themselves.  Incidents that years ago would have resulted in someone (usually the suspect being killed) are being resolved with a suspect in cuffs because of what looks like "militarization".  My department's team uses semi-auto weapons any citizen in a free state can buy (some with a stamp).

FSDDs (aka Flash Bangs or "stun grenades") are used in very limited situations to give a tactical advantage and prevent injuries to a suspect or police.  They come off as military gear despite the fact they were invented for police (I believe LAPD SWAT). 

So while SWAT teams may appear to be "militarized police", they are not.  Some of the gear may be similar, but If the team is legit, it's used in a different fashion to protect the lives of citizens, police, and suspects (in that order).  Should we give that up to make us look better, I don't think so.

My 2 cents.

ETA: No one in my area, and probably not in most, wears this stuff on normal patrol.  The only changes made in a long time to patrol uniforms here are that the standard uniform shirts are embroidered with a badge an name rather than having metal ones.  The pants are also polyester cargo pants with a permanent crease.  Other than that the uniforms look pretty similar to the ones in the original Adam-12.

Edited by jk_226
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, willie-pete said:

https://www.atf.gov/file/83561/download

The National Firearms Act defines "machinegun" as "any weapon which shoots, is. designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than. one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger." 26 U.S.C. 5845(b).

An AR type rifle that was manufactured semi-automatic is not will not be considered a "machine gun" (unless converted to fire full-auto/burst). 

An AR type rifle originally manufactured to be capable of full-automatic or burst fire will always be considered to be a "machine gun" even  if converted to semi-auto as it is easily converted back to full auto/burst. 

Regular people can own "machine guns", just need to get their license for it. 

Edited by TBO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TBO said:

An AR type rifle that was manufactured semi-automatic is not will not be considered a "machine gun" (unless converted to fire full-auto/burst). 

An AR type rifle originally manufactured to be capable of full-automatic or burst fire will always be considered to be a "machine gun" even  if converted to semi-auto as it is easily converted back to full auto/burst. 

Well, it is not really a license; more like a stamp.

5 hours ago, willie-pete said:

5 hours ago, TBO said:
A Class 3 Firearms Licence will allow you to posess fully automatic firearms.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

So your post to me was superfluous. :bluesbrothers2xq:

Edited by TBO

45 minutes ago, TBO said:

So your post to me was superfluous. :bluesbrothers2xq:

Superfluous; how so? A Class 3 license costs $500 /  year ANNUALLY.   My $200 tax stamp is one time.

I am happy you can afford a $500 / year tax bill; a lot of people can't.

My way seems to be the cheaper option if you want to own a machine gun. I've only got a half dozen NFA items accumulated over 30 years. If I used your method I would have sent the ATF $15,000; my method they only got $1,200. 

41 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Superfluous; how so? A Class 3 license costs $500 /  year ANNUALLY.   My $200 tax stamp is one time.

I am happy you can afford a $500 / year tax bill; a lot of people can't.

My way seems to be the cheaper option if you want to own a machine gun. I've only got a half dozen NFA items accumulated over 30 years. If I used your method I would have sent the ATF $15,000; my method they only got $1,200. 

I referenced a License, you "corrected" me and said it's "actually a stamp". 

I talked about a license and a class 3 license does indeed allow you to possess fully automatic arms, thus your post was completely unnecessary. 

43 minutes ago, willie-pete said:
"Regular people can own "machine guns", just need to get their license for it. "

A Class 3 license holder is a dealer; not regular people.

Regular people = non-gov non-Le.

All the class 3 license holders I know aren't employees of the Gov or sworn LE, they are regular people.

Amazing how you stretch things instead of a simple, oops, my bad. [emoji38]

Edited by TBO

Well then, all those people are wasting a lot of money and enriching the BATFE needlessly.

One still doesn’t need to get a Class 3 license to own a machine gun. ATF Form 4 would suffice.

Do they tell you why they go the more expensive route instead of Form 4?

Do they know what happens if the Feds decide not to renew the license?

A Class 3 Firearms Licence will allow you to posess fully automatic firearms.

So will a stamp and an ATF Form 4

form4_1.thumb.jpg.3fbfb4e22b96561d8ec5e2a1683956f8.jpg
You were trying to be"cute", a common Internet board shenanigans or blowhard ploy and got caught short.

Instead of owning up/manning up you are behaving like this is a grade school playground. Why? It your age I'd expect you'd learned long ago to admit when you are wrong. In my readings of your postings I've formed the opinion you're a basically good red blooded American with Conservative views and respectful of the Constitution and Republic. Of course none of that relieves you of the human condition (of which effects us all in some way from time to time).

In short, stop digging a hole to China, simply to dig a hole to China.

Sincerely

" Regular people can own "machine guns", just need to get their license for it. "

Doesn't look like I can save you, but for others that read this thread and think you need a Class III  license to own a machine gun.

You do not.

You can own a transferable machine gun, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, AOW or suppressor with a properly filled out ATF Form 4, no criminal record, a pro-gun Sheriff, fingerprints, live in a state that allows them,  and $200.