rimfire ammo getting cheaper

pipedreams

Don't know about that, but I do remember having a substantial accumulation of bulk ammo from various manufacturers that I sold during the shortage. Kept all my CCI and Aguila and still have a lifetime supply.

I wonder if the new bulk ammo is if better or worse quality than the older stuff?

Ronaldo

38 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Don't know about that, but I do remember having a substantial accumulation of bulk ammo from various manufacturers that I sold during the shortage. Kept all my CCI and Aguila and still have a lifetime supply.

I wonder if the new bulk ammo is if better or worse quality than the older stuff?

Ronaldo

I'm guessing about the same, just with more of a profit margin.

• Like 1

I think the price is not going to get too much cheaper. 

The manufacturers seem to have put some money into production and upgrades of equipment and they want it back plus some.

I can not  blame them but I have memories of 50 rounds of .22lr for .38 cents.

I am really old!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

The manufacturers seem to have put some money into production and upgrades of equipment and they want it back plus some.

I am really old!

The funny thing is companies like Remington probably make as much or more manufacturing and selling the powder actuated 22lr charges in bulk. It doesn't seem like production has ever really hit a lull.

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

I am really old!

Looking at some of my old stash some of those may of cost .38 cents.  Got to get some grand kids out here to shoot up that old stuff.

35 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Looking at some of my old stash some of those may of cost .38 cents.  Got to get some grand kids out here to shoot up that old stuff.

I 'd shoot the new stuff and save the old stuff. The old stuff if stored properly will at least go bang.

9 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I 'd shoot the new stuff and save the old stuff. The old stuff if stored properly will at least go bang.

You got a point and that's why I'm choosing CCI mini mags and other high quality stuff this time.  Also it will be stored a lot more careful than in the past.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1

Only rim fire ammo I keep around is CCI .22 WMR for my NAA mini. Had a box of 500 .22LR Winchester last year and gave it away. Nasty stuff.

I bought my .22WMR stash from my LGS. He sold it to me at cost when they retailed for well over 30 cents per round a couple years ago. Got them for $6.90, for the 100 round cases. Stash will last a life time. Not sure I will ever get another .22LR. Maybe a Ruger Mark 4 at some point. In that case I will stick with CCI. I'd probably get 5,000 rounds and be good for life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

You got a point and that's why I'm choosing CCI mini mags and other high quality stuff this time.  Also it will be stored a lot more careful than in the past.

Good choice in these times. When I was a kid my brother and I would go to Western Auto and stock up on .22 when they had a sale. If I remember correctly a brick was $4. We shot a lot of Federal Lightnings as well as Wildcats and Thunderbolts. Never had any problems with duds or cycling the actions on auto-loaders with any of the ammo. Sadly can't say the same with most new production .22. I still have a brick of Lightnings from back when.

• Like 1