Try Heavier Ammo

Slow Burn

A standard AR 15 style - 16" barrel with 1:8 twist - is WAY more accurate with 75 grain ammo than with common 55 grain bullets. This is probably old news to most, but it was a revelation to me. With the handguns I'm used to shooting, different ammo of the same caliber might run better,  or be more effective against a threat, but doesn't seem to affect accuracy much. I assumed the same was true of common ARs like mine but it ain't so. If you doubt it, and have a rifle with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist, pick up a box of 75 grain 556 and try it out. 

I'm old but, new to rifles and just started trying to shoot my Ruger AR556 a few months ago. The reason I picked it up in the first place is a long story involving political misjudgment but the idea was just to resell it and I only started shooting it after realizing I'd never make a profit on it. Fun, but its been a learning curve. One of the good shooters at the range suggested the reason my groups were not real tight might be my "storebought" ammo.  I thought he was being kind giving me an out, but I researched it a little and learned 75 grain bullets were supposedly much better suited to my gun. Seems odd because 55 grain ammo is so standard, but I tried some 75 grain out last weekend and shazam - is that really me? Groups tight as tick with this bargain rifle. 

I never would have believed ammo made that much difference. Specifically I used Hornady BTHP Superperformance Match, (I'm not a re-loader so its still "storebought") but I think the main factor is bullet weight. 

Edited by Slow Burn

When I bought my Colt H-Bar back in the 80's I didn't notice the 1:7 markings on the barrel.  Heck, I wouldn't have known what the big deal was anyway.  But I headed to the range with 100 rounds on my 40 and 52 gr Berger handloads that were so accurate in my older Colts.  As you might have guessed the accuracy was minute o' washtub.  I called Colt prepared to give them a rather large piece of my mind where the nice lady schooled me on twist rates and bullet weights.

0G8Cy5d - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1