Anyone else like assembling/repairing knives?

9x19

Awhile back I decided to get off my butt and get to work on these USGI M4 and M3 blades I've had for awhile.

The M4 just needs a new set of handle slabs, but the M3 needed a new guard and pommel as well as grips.

This is the (Carbon steel) guard (1/8") and pommel (3/16") roughed out and fitted to the blade, all laying on the slab of wood I'm using for the grips. (repro leather sheath is from Camillus, had two of them in my parts box)

9Tf4TNu.jpg

I used a router bit chucked in my mill to inlet the slabs... first time trying this but it turned out great.

2qdrGfN.jpg

They are still way too thick, so I'll take about 3/16" off each side.

zzTlVBk.jpg

Here the slabs have been slimmed, and the guard and pommel are finished. Next is to put it all together and shape the handle.

iLN0a19.jpg

Well after a good start, along came summer vacations and 100+ degree afternoons, Grand kids visiting for the summer, etc. so I didn't get nearly as far along as I'd planned, but I have made some progress

Still a lot of sanding to go, then stain/finish... maybe done by the end of the month? :D

M3 is Macassar Ebony (dense and HARD) and the M4 is Hard Maple (it will get a dark stain before finish)

9AU1s0O.jpg

Edited by 9x19
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, 9x19 said:

I still have a bit more sanding around the pommel on the M3, but now, the question is: To groove, or not to groove?

That's a tough one.  I like the look of that wood, so I would leave it alone.  But, it would probably look pretty awesome grooved as well.  I am of no help to you.  

It would look good checkered, too.

2 hours ago, 9x19 said:

Very nice, your Grand-dad had some skills!

Thanks, he did.  The blade is right at 15" and what I refer to as "stupid sharp"  It's a very solid build.  For the life of me I can't figure out why he used what looked like house paint on the handle and a lacquer on the metal that did not conceal the welds at all.  I wish I had taken a before shot of the paint.

I've spent some time chewing up some steel... after I found KnifeKits.com!

Then the addiction set in... :D

I was building some kits, modifying them.... and then the MOVING started! 

All the way from Sparks/Reno NV to Tucson AZ to keep up with Mom...

So naturally my workshop was in boxes, then we had to move again after being laid off from work (victims of 2009 economy!) ... and once settled in, the house we were RENTING went into forclosure... so we moved BACK to Sparks NV...

and the whole 6 years, no blade/knife building at all... {sigh}...

Time to get a bench setup in the new house! :D

• 2 weeks later...