Drop in bobbed hammer for model 64?

Collim1

I have a nice model 64, 3” barrel with round butt. It makes a great cool weather belt gun.

I have always wanted to bob the hammer for DAO, but would much rather find a drop in bobbed hammer with no SA notch. 

Is that even possible?  

I have bobbed the hammer on an old Wells Fargo trade in model 10, but it was a beater. I’d like to be able to return this nice 64 back to stock. 

D02B47D4-8F4B-4113-94C7-EE2EF17B42EF.jpeg

B4BA6191-0D08-4330-A794-FBD71AD5C160.jpeg

Edited by Collim1

1 hour ago, Citra47 said:

Try finding a used K Frame hammer or order new from S&W.

And then bob the hammer yourself or have a gunsmith do it. --Support your Local Gunasmith!-- I had a Ruger speed six that I bobbed the hammer on, and also an N-frame S&W 44 Special. I left the SA notches in place on both gunsand it doesn't interfere with shooting the gun DA so I saw no need to do it and I liked having the option of being able to shoot the gun single action by carefully pulling the trigger back with my finger and catching the top of the hammer with my thumb.

And if you weren't comfortable doing that and if you preferred to only shoot it DA only, You just don't have to use the SA option.

smiffbob.jpg

Edited by Borg warner

21 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

1620437822_RugerGPNYSpeedSix.jpg.5e21b1b4dd64d76b74403766c2a01c2d.jpg

Both Rugers above are agency issued guns and both have bobbed hammers from the factory.  No SA notch. 

I know this is not exactly when your post is about but wanted this excuse to post photo.  :)  

Are those Ruger Speed-six revolvers with 2 1/2 inch barrels?  Nice guns!  I used to have one and wish I still had it. Mine had a regular hammer but I bobbed it myself and did a trigger job on the gun. The Security sixes and the Speed sixes (Fixed sights) had better triggers thanb the GP100's and were lighter weight and more compact. Ruger should have kept the security six as their K-frame and added the GP-100 as the L-frame.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

The Ruger on the bottom is a Speed Six with 2 3/4-inch barrel.  The Ruger on top of photo is a NYPD issued GP100 (aka GPNY).  Both are .38 cal. 

I agree about keeping the Security/Police/Speed six as their K-frame equivalent and the GP100 as their L-frame competitor.  I wish Ruger had done that. 

Do you remember S&W ads for the L-frame in the late 1980s or 1990s on the back page of gun magazines in full color where they had a hamburger in the shape of the GP100 and said something like "only hamburgers should be thick" or something like that!?  LOL.          

2 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

The Ruger on the bottom is a Speed Six with 2 3/4-inch barrel.  The Ruger on top of photo is a NYPD issued GP100 (aka GPNY).  Both are .38 cal. 

I agree about keeping the Security/Police/Speed six as their K-frame equivalent and the GP100 as their L-frame competitor.  I wish Ruger had done that. 

Do you remember S&W ads for the L-frame in the late 1980s or 1990s on the back page of gun magazines in full color where they had a hamburger in the shape of the GP100 and said something like "only hamburgers should be thick" or something like that!?  LOL.          

I wasn't aware that Ruger made a GP 100 with fixed sights. Yes I remember that ad very well. Here it is:

Ruger-Burger-.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

I couldn't agree more! The Security Six would be a great answer to the Smith "K" frame.  I have a Smith mdl 19 and a SS Security Six in the K frame size. Love em both. The Security Six has a 6" barrel, wish it were 4". I'd shoot IDPA with it now and then. I've considered having it cut back to 4" or have it rebarreled, but so far haven't been able to go through with it.

s45