FLYING MIS-ADVENTURES

crossmember

13 minutes ago, tous said:

So, you propose that the Lorenz transformations are relevant?

Both are moving but not at the same frame of reference.

the boat would be going slower relativistically as it is further into the gravity well of the body.

The frames are not coordinated relative to one another, if you wanted to measure finely enough, no two are in exact coordination. 

We have the best answers that our measurements are capable of,............right now. 

But at some point the effect of the difference is negligible........so the plane lands

Edited by Dric902

Good thinking, amigo.

But, I have found that for most phenomena in the mechanical Universe, solve the Newtonian problems first and then we can consider how and if the relativistic Universe applies.

I suggest that trying to consider both before solving either makes the job much harder.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 1

I would like to take this opportunity to assure everyone that during the consideration of this problem, no slide rules were injured or killed.

All stunts were performed by professional slide rules in closed hands.

Do not attempt this at home.

Ric, how do you think Mercy would consider this same problem?

Granted, she doesn't have the math or experience to create an exact model, but I would be interested  in her thinking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tous said:

I would like to take this opportunity to assure everyone that during the consideration of this problem, no slide rules were injured or killed.

All stunts were performed by professional slide rules in closed hands.

Do not attempt this at home.

Ric, how do you think Mercy would consider this same problem?

Granted, she doesn't have the math or experience to create an exact model, but I would be interested  in her thinking.

She just came home from school so I asked her.

“Dad, they probably used a crane or something. Duh”

(she is so practical)

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

What force(s) could retard or accelerate either?

For an overly large gentleman, such as myself, I am sure wind resistance plays a role in slowing me down. It sure does on my motorcycle

You have one hour to answer.

Sorry I missed the deadline; I was out having fun.

Please show your work.

I showed my wife and my girlfriend. They both agreed it looked right. Which is amazing because they never agree.

I expect that a missileer would be well familiar with this phenomena.

Not a clue; all we did was launch one over the North Pole and hope there was a target underneath it 25 minutes later.

:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2018 at 12:09 PM, tous said:

That, sir, is a most interesting question, so let's think about it.

Thinking about physics is the most fun you can have with clothes on.

Posit one: independent objects on the surface of a planets have the same rotational velocity because they are connected via friction caused by gravity.

Posit two:  if there is a loss of that friction, i.e.,  the object can float above the surface, will there be a difference, either immediate or over time, of the velocities of either or both objects?

Posit three:  time is not a factor.  The effect should be consistent if the event lasts a picosecond or a century.

So, we ask ourselves, if you could float an object that has the same velocity as the planet above the surface, what would the effect be?

Given the conditions above, what would change the velocity of either object?  Given the events described, would the planet speed up of slow down?  Would the object speed up or slow down? No difference?

What force(s) could retard or accelerate either?

Naval and land-based gunnery faced the same problems.

If I fire a cannon ball 100 meters it will pretty much go where I expect it to.

If I fire a cannon ball 100 miles, where will it land?  Will the spot I want to hit have moved from where it was when I fired the cannon?

You have one hour to answer.

Please show your work.

I expect that a missileer would be well familiar with this phenomena.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

That's some deep guano, Amigo. You could give me a thousand years and spot me a vowel and I still couldn't come up with a response other than "Purple".

I don't even particularly care for Purple. Nothing rhymes with "Purple".

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, tous said:

Who do you think made them?

Northrop Grumman?

LockMart?

When you want to survive the Dark Side, you go with the best.

We have slide rules.

:biggrin:

I had the dubious distinction of presenting the avionics package to the tri services for the F-23.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I had the dubious distinction of presenting the avionics package to the tri services for the F-23.  

The YF-23 was a joint project between Northrop and McDonnell Douglas.

Best aircraft ever.

LockMart cheated.  :shakefist:

• Like 1

Just now, tous said:

The YF-23 was a joint project between Northrop and McDonnell Douglas.

Best aircraft ever.

LockMart cheated.  :shakefist:

I was also on the SAE Committee that was defining the MIL-STD-1760 Stores Management System.  The F23 was proposed with a Stores Management System that met that evolving Standard.

The F-22 was proposed with a Coaxial Cable from the store stations to the Fuselage.  The argument was that the Stores Management System would be upgraded later.  This dropped the purchase price considerably, but made a future upgrade much more expensive.

The F-23 was deemed too expensive and the claim was that the performance far exceeded the F-22 and that of the anticipated adversaries, but the flyaway price was too high.

• Like 1

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

- D. D. Eisenhower