FLYING MIS-ADVENTURES

crossmember

“A superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skills.” ~Frank Borman - Apollo 8

“Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.”
~Stephen Coonts, "The Cannibal Queen" 1988

“Give me kinetic energy any day and I'll take his potential energy and shove it up his ass!”

Pink Williams, Fighter Pilot

“If black boxes survive air crashes, why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?”
~George Carlin

“There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, crossmember said:

hqdefault.jpg

That's not a misadventure.  A Skyvan is pure fun.  ?

I've been around aviation all of my life, but I have had only a few misadventures.  

A 2 liter bottle of Big Red soda exploded in the back of a T182RG we were flying.  It took a minute to figure out what was happening.  That involved mucho cleanup and a minor beating of the owner of the bottle.

A lightning strike made parts fall off a Pilatus.

A blown TSIO-520 on take off at 1400' MSL made for a quick skydive.

DHC-6 200 quit giving fuel to the powerplants, but at 11000' MSL directly above the field, it wasn't a big deal.

Then there was a Beech-18 stall.  Luckily, it stalled the right direction, and started spitting people out the door, or everyone would probably have died. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That assumes that at some point, the relative velocity between the B-52 and the boat is 0, no?

Then, yes.  The vertical vectors are irrelevant.

Think of it this way.  The Earth rotates at the equator at around 500 meters per second or about 1,000 MPH.

If you were standing on the equator and jumped into the air, would you need a roll out?

Both you and the planet are moving at the same velocity, so the delta is zero,

44 minutes ago, tous said:

That assumes that at some point, the relative velocity between the B-52 and the boat is 0, no?

Think of it this way.  The Earth rotates at the equator at around 500 meters per second or about 1,000 MPH.

If you were standing on the equator and jumped into the air, would you need a roll out?

You really do have a slide rule! (So do I...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

But do you land in the same spot you jumped from?

( BTW, about 1118.47 MPH  - do that on your slide rule      :whistling:)

• Like 1

That, sir, is a most interesting question, so let's think about it.

Thinking about physics is the most fun you can have with clothes on.

Posit one: independent objects on the surface of a planets have the same rotational velocity because they are connected via friction caused by gravity.

Posit two:  if there is a loss of that friction, i.e.,  the object can float above the surface, will there be a difference, either immediate or over time, of the velocities of either or both objects?

Posit three:  time is not a factor.  The effect should be consistent if the event lasts a picosecond or a century.

So, we ask ourselves, if you could float an object that has the same velocity as the planet above the surface, what would the effect be?

Given the conditions above, what would change the velocity of either object?  Given the events described, would the planet speed up of slow down?  Would the object speed up or slow down? No difference?

What force(s) could retard or accelerate either?

Naval and land-based gunnery faced the same problems.

If I fire a cannon ball 100 meters it will pretty much go where I expect it to.

If I fire a cannon ball 100 miles, where will it land?  Will the spot I want to hit have moved from where it was when I fired the cannon?

You have one hour to answer.

Please show your work.

I expect that a missileer would be well familiar with this phenomena.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2