105mm mounted on Humvee

XSIV4S

34 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I don’t see a collimeter or a laying sight.

is it for direct fire only? I would think the lay would shift after every round as there are no spades evident.

hellacious on the suspension I bet

I know jack **** about artillery but it looks like the vehicle's weight is off of the suspension when that thing is set up to fire.  That said, it does rock the hell out of the vehicle when it fires.  Maybe the electronics can counter for that.  

Still - looks like something two rednecks came up with using an old Chevrolet frame.  But it's a neat concept if it works......

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Haha 1

I am not sure if it will be what they want. Probably just a working prototype, trying to sell some.

One of the reasons they went to the HUMVEE, I believe, was the ability to tow a 105mm or 3/4 ton trailer with ammo.

Not really direct fire but may have a decent use for that, probably would kill about any tank with proper round.

Is the gum a model 101/105mm?

I have seen a 7.62mm mini gun mounted on a 1/4 ton trailer a long time ago.

There is a lot of strange things the military plays around with that never goes any place.

21 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I don’t think the Scouts would want it, too heavy and slow.

cool idea but I don’t see a lot of use for it

Which scouts?  Because the Boy Scouts would love that thing, and the Cub Scouts would....well.....let's just say if my son's troop gets one of those that might be the last straw needed to get me to be a den leader!

Army scouts - you may be right but honestly it doesn't seem that heavy in and of itself.  Moving the associated ammo might be a trick.  I do think it needs some refinement though.  And it may not fit in with a true scout mission.

It would be relatively easy to move by air, that's for sure.

As I understand it these things are a real pain in the ass to deal with in certain situations:

Ansar_Dine_Tombouctou.JPG

So in a similar role this device might have some usefulness.  For the good guys, of course.

I wonder how effective it would have been in Mogadishu or somewhere like that?  Iraq?  Setup time would be an issue and the targets would be a bit close for a howitzer but who knows.  Might be useful.  The unprotected crew is a concern but having something that could bring that level of pain to the battlefield may be useful.  I think a mortar on a HUMMVEE would be better.

In the past the US has used these:

acf9c5354fe06022e42f43181bc1e7f6.jpg

Not quite the same thing (the RECOILLESS part of Recoilless Rifle is a big part of it, plus direct vs indirect fire of course) but shows that it might have a place in the battlefield with some refinement.

Edited by SC Tiger

17 minutes ago, crossmember said:

i used to crew on one of these when i was a kid.  the .50 cal semi auto riflw atop the main tube is for line of sight shooting.  the .50 had a reduced load round with an over sized tracer round and had the sammmmme trajectory as the 106mm.

38a1c_a.jpg

My dad talked about firing those while he was in the Army.  Said you pulled the firing knob to fire the tracer, then when they went where you wanted the round to go you pushed it forward to fire the big boy.

3 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

My dad talked about firing those while he was in the Army.  Said you pulled the firing knob to fire the tracer, then when they went where you wanted the round to go you pushed it forward to fire the big boy.

yep, th firing knob was in the middle of the elevating wheel.  you could fine tune the elevation with one hand and fire the tracer gun with the other

8 minutes ago, crossmember said:

yep, th firing knob was in the middle of the elevating wheel.  you could fine tune the elevation with one hand and fire the tracer gun with the other

One of the great scenes in "Black Hawk Down" was when the Delta/Rangers (think it was one Delta and three Rangers) captured one of those and blew up a machine gun with it.