Opinions on Izula in 440C

DUBSY

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large Bear and sons Bowie with a white bone handle that I basically bought because of it's looks. It's 440c steel and I was surprised at how easy it is to get a good sharp edge on it an maintain it with a sharpening steel. I also like the Sandvik sreels that they use on the Swedish Mora knives and  the Finnish Rapala Marttini knives Rapala makes an excellent folding lock back fillet knife that makes an excellent everyday carry folding pocketknife and  they are only 20 bucks (plus shipping)

One of the best carbon steels is the steel that Cols Steel uses on some of their knives such as the Bushman (The Knife with th socket handle meant to double as a spear) The Roman Gladius Machete, and the Assegai Zulu short spear

assegai 1-p.jpg

On 8/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, Collim1 said:

If I’m going stainless I much Prefer Mora’s SS. The 2/0 is a similar sized knife, but a little trimmer and thinner blade stock. 

The Izula is way overbuilt IMO. Remember, knives cut by being thin. 

A Mora is going to be significantly thicker than pretty much any ESEE knife.  

1 hour ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

A Mora is going to be significantly thicker than pretty much any ESEE knife.  

Say what?

ESEE Izula = 3.96mm blade stock.  

Mora no 2/0 = 2.0mm blade stock. 

Moras are known for being very thin blades that cut natural material very well. The thickest Moras are still significantly thinner than the 3.96mm Izula. The Bushcraft Black is 3.2mm, and it’s one the heaviest knives Mora offers. 

Compare that to ESEE which has very thick blade stock on almost all their knives.  The ESEE 4 is a very popular model and it’s blade stock is 4.77mm thick.  That’s .188 inches, not far off from 1/4”.

Even the Mora Garberg, which is advertised as, “our strongest knife ever”, is full tang and 3.2mm thick.

ESEE knives are practically sharpened pry bars.  Which is fine if you need a knife to baton wood and pry or use as a screwdriver, but in no realm is your average ESEE knife thinner than a Mora.

Edited by Collim1

11 hours ago, Collim1 said:

Say what?

ESEE Izula = 3.96mm blade stock.  

Mora no 2/0 = 2.0mm blade stock. 

Moras are known for being very thin blades that cut natural material very well. The thickest Moras are still significantly thinner than the 3.96mm Izula. The Bushcraft Black is 3.2mm, and it’s one the heaviest knives Mora offers. 

Compare that to ESEE which has very thick blade stock on almost all their knives.  The ESEE 4 is a very popular model and it’s blade stock is 4.77mm thick.  That’s .188 inches, not far off from 1/4”.

Even the Mora Garberg, which is advertised as, “our strongest knife ever”, is full tang and 3.2mm thick.

ESEE knives are practically sharpened pry bars.  Which is fine if you need a knife to baton wood and pry or use as a screwdriver, but in no realm is your average ESEE knife thinner than a Mora.

You are correct. My Moras all have a Scandi grind and only appear thicker than my Izula.  I don't however believe that ~2mm blade thickness makes the difference between a sharpened pry bar and a thin blade.  

• 1 month later...

Let's be real here:

440C is one of the older knife steels I believe.  It has been used for a long time.  There are some newer steels out there that are interesting and probably do perform better, but 440C is FAR from a bad knife steel.

Yeah a Benchmade in Unobtainium is cool, but it's also spendy.  440C isn't a bad steel at all.