Harry's shave club - anyone tried it?

Big Dog Dad

I was wondering through Wally World the other day, enjoying the genetic experiment that are some of the shoppers. I noticed they were selling a starter pack of Harry's shave club pack of one handle and two five blade cartridges for a really low price. I normally use a Gillette power fusion razor, but the cartridges are getting expensive. OK, I'll try the Harry's shave club razor. How bad could it be? Answer - really bad. I would have been better off trying to use my Dewalt router with a dull dovetail bit. The old saying "you get what you pay for" is very true here. I'm not sure how this crap managed such razor burn and nicks on a new blade, but it was terrible. It is taking a trip to the trash can. If you are thinking of trying one, save your money and buy a couple sheets of 60 grit emory cloth. You get a more comfortable shave.

-=BDD=-

• Like 2

I tried hard to like them a few years ago. I never got as good of a shave with their products as with Mach 3 cartridges. Their blades are way too close together. They were always clogging and I had to apply quite a bit of pressure. I think the angle of the cartridge is far too straight, also.

I was hanging in there until they made a political statement that I disliked. (Doesn't have to do with guns.) That was the tie-breaker for me.

Mach 3 cartridges only cost me a few bucks per month. It's worth it to get a better shave and stick it to Harry's a little. I have thought about trying Dollar Shave Club because they're cheaper and a more direct competitor of Harry's.

Edited by Brad

Glad to hear I'm not the only person that doesn't like Harry's Shave Club. I tried them a few years ago after seeing their advertisements  for a while. Had to agree with them that Gillett blades were sky high and still going up in price. Long story short, I still have several of their blades unused in the box. I felt them dragging on my face with each scrape of the blade. They may work for someone but I'm not happy with them.

Like Schick blades the best of the old line blades as I get a smooth shave from them. Bic makes a really good 5 blade disposable too.

10 hours ago, Brad said:

I tried hard to like them a few years ago. I never got as good of a shave with their products as with Mach 3 cartridges. Their blades are way too close together. They were always clogging and I had to apply quite a bit of pressure. I think the angle of the cartridge is far too straight, also.

I was hanging in there until they made a political statement that I disliked. (Doesn't have to do with guns.) That was the tie-breaker for me.

Mach 3 cartridges only cost me a few bucks per month. It's worth it to get a better shave and stick it to Harry's a little. I have thought about trying Dollar Shave Club because they're cheaper and a more direct competitor of Harry's.

I use Dollar Shave Club and they are pretty good.  But you do need a second razor to get that little bit right under your nose - or at least I do.

But their blades also last a while so you can probably get away with a shipment every other month.  Depends on how coarse your beard hair is I guess.

7 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I tried Harry’s and they were alright, but not great. Went back to a safety razor.

one box of Astra blades was $14. Lasts a year or so.

take your time and enjoy it, it’s a decidedly “male” thing to do

I tried to like that method but my DSC setup beats the ever-loving **** out of that setup - minus the Astra blades (I haven't tried them).

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SC Tiger said:

I tried to like that method but my DSC setup beats the ever-loving **** out of that setup (minus the Astra blades (haven't tried them).

Astra are the best for me. Feather blades are very good but amazingly sharp, almost too much.

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I use Dollar Shave Club and they are pretty good.  But you do need a second razor to get that little bit right under your nose - or at least I do.

But their blades also last a while so you can probably get away with a shipment every other month.  Depends on how coarse your beard hair is I guess.

I tried to like that method but my DSC setup beats the ever-loving **** out of that setup - minus the Astra blades (I haven't tried them).

Which number of blades do you get?

I dislike cartridges with four or more blades because the blades are too close together and clog. I am wondering if their two blade setup is good. I am also wondering if that cartridges is small enough to get under the nose.

I guess I'm the '5th dentist', since I like Harry's razor and cartridges.

Got a trial with 3 extra cartridges, travel case, shave gel, and face balm for $3 a couple of years ago.

Cancelled the subscription, and buy refills at Target, or from Harry's online.

14 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

For the brush-hogging: a double-edged safety razor.  $20 of blades is a lifetimes worth.

For finishing up: bic slim-twin.  What, $5 for a twenty pack?  Each one lasts a month.

Yeah, the shave clubs are way too expensive for what they offer. I think I spent less than $10 for a Chinese safety razor at Amazon, and the Feather blades are dirt cheap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Which number of blades do you get?

I dislike cartridges with four or more blades because the blades are too close together and clog. I am wondering if their two blade setup is good. I am also wondering if that cartridges is small enough to get under the nose.

Four blade.  I honestly didn't know they make a 2 blade setup.  It was a gift from my wife.

I don't have issues with it clogging though.

I looked at their site and I cannot find any 2-blade razors.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

I've not used Harry's but was in the Dollar Shave Club and could not have been more satisfied with them. The only problem I had with them was they sent them too often, and I'd have several packs stacked up on the bathroom counter all the  time.  My beard must not be as tough as average, lol. If they'd offer a 'once every six months shipping' option, I'd still be with them but I finally cancelled because I had so many stockpiled.

7 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I looked at their site and I cannot find any 2-blade razors.

Weird. I don't see it, either. I looked at that not long ago. I wonder if they discontinued the two blade ones, if I am losing my mind, or both.

7 hours ago, TX OMFS said:
On 8/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, Boogieman said:
So the new razor didn't leave your legs silky smooth?

Yeah but I didn't care. It was your sister. She wouldn't stop complaining.

But my (non existent) sister prefers her men completely waxed. 

• Like 1