.308/7.62 AR Fans Sound Off

Eric

• Administrators

Let's see your 7.62 NATO AR rifles. I have always been a fan of the caliber, since carrying a M-14 in the Army. As much as I have always loved the M-14, over the years, I think I have come to love the 7.62 AR even more. Here is my Bushmaster.

MyBush1.thumb.JPG.c1594ee9fb12aa9608fc6145f166c602.JPG

MyBush2.thumb.JPG.b8edf825a2c4c24bbdaec6d6f275925a.JPG

MyBush3.thumb.JPG.0d62134b565317616e73acca7c54a527.JPG

• Like 7

• Administrators

It's an outstanding rifle. It is lighter than you would expect, fairly soft shooting, considering what you are shooting and accurate as hell. I have been a Bushmaster fan for many years and I wouldn't trade this one for anything. To me, this rifle really came into its own when Magpul came out with the polymer .308 AR mags, especially the 25-round mags.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

It's an outstanding rifle. It is lighter than you would expect, fairly soft shooting, considering what you are shooting and accurate as hell. I have been a Bushmaster fan for many years and I wouldn't trade this one for anything. To me, this rifle really came into its own when Magpul came out with the polymer .308 AR mags, especially the 25-round mags.

It's a beautiful gun and sounds like it's great for wild boar. We have yet to take the 5.56 rifle we got last year, hunting.  

Edited by Gun Shark

25 minutes ago, Taco Junkie said:

Yes tell me your experience with it.  Is it by Palmetto Armory? Or ??

I bought the PSA upper that they were running a special on a few months back. I actually bought it on a whim. I mated it to an Anderson lower. So far I have put about 300 rounds through it without any feeding or ejecting issues but had a few FTFs due to hard military primers on the ammo I was using. I am also using C-Products magazines which are of nice quality.

I have to say the rifle is surprisingly accurate. All in all a really nice quality, straight shooting AR.

Edited by KBKEITH
  • Like 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

I have a 7.62 AR.......only it's 7.62x39. Does that count? :confused:

I think that the 7.62x39 caliber would be a good choice for an AR short-barreled rifle or pistol. It would suffer a lot less from a shorter barrel than the 5.56 round does. I've never fired an AR chambered in that caliber. How does it handle itself, as far as accuracy and recoil go?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I think that the 7.62x39 caliber would be a good choice for an AR short-barreled rifle or pistol. It would suffer a lot less from a shorter barrel than the 5.56 round does. I've never fired an AR chambered in that caliber. How does it handle itself, as far as accuracy and recoil go?

I have to admit that when I bought the upper from PSA I really didn't know what to expect as far as reliability and accuracy. I was more than pleasantly surprised when I first shot it. The recoil is very comfortable, like you would get with an AK. 

I mounted a cheap 3X scope from Primary Arms to this rifle. The big surprise came when I began to see the groupings I could get, all while using cheap, Russian steel-cased ammo. The overall cost of putting this rifle together was low and certainly the cost of ammo is low. Win-win for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The PSA offerings of AR10 really have me tempted.  I'm curious what weight of ammo might be best out of the 18" SS barrel one?  

I think I'm ready to move into .308.  The biggest caliber I currently own is .243Win.  It might just not be enough for certain situations.  Also looking into 6.5 Creedmore, but I think the AR pattern rifles are extremely limited in comparison and the commercial loadings are not nearly as varied as the .308. 

Thoughts and opinions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 9/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, GlockPride said:

The PSA offerings of AR10 really have me tempted.  I'm curious what weight of ammo might be best out of the 18" SS barrel one?  

I think I'm ready to move into .308.  The biggest caliber I currently own is .243Win.  It might just not be enough for certain situations.  Also looking into 6.5 Creedmore, but I think the AR pattern rifles are extremely limited in comparison and the commercial loadings are not nearly as varied as the .308. 

Thoughts and opinions?

My AR-10 is in the first post of the thread. I have always loved the .308 round. It is a hard-hitting, very accurate round and there is a hell of a lot of it out there. If something happened and ammo supplies got tight, something like the 6.5 Creedmore round would be hard to come by. There would be plenty of 5.56 and 7.62NATO out there. The caliber is a good man stopper and is powerful enough for medium-large game. The AR-10s don't weigh that much more than the AR-15. I like the AR-10 even better now that Magpul has a 25-round magazine on the market for it. I have about thirty of them. The recoil of the .308 round isn't too bad to start with and the action of rifles like M-1As and AR-10s tame the recoil even further. The AR design, with the recoil buffer and the barrel being on the same plane as your shoulder really helps keep the muzzle of the rifle down. This is a big benefit over the M14/M-1A. I truly love the M-1A, but the bore axis difference of the AR makes an important consideration to me, in the performance of the rifle.

I don't have any experience with PSA firearms, but those are indeed some tempting prices they offer their AR-10s for. I am a big fan of the Bushmaster rifles, but the PSA offerings are substantially less expensive. If you get one, I would be interested in hearing your review of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I don't have any experience with PSA firearms, but those are indeed some tempting prices they offer their AR-10s for. I am a big fan of the Bushmaster rifles, but the PSA offerings are substantially less expensive. If you get one, I would be interested in hearing your review of it.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the PSA uppers both in fit and finish and performance. I have two chambered in 7.62x39: a mid-length and a carbine length. The carbine upper I just bought for $149.99 shipped, minus BCG and CH. They said it was a blem item. I can’t see the blemish. I put 200 rounds through it a week ago and I was getting extremely good groups at 50 yards with irons. Overall I am extremely satisfied with both of my PSA uppers. 

Well, this thread persuaded me to take a look at getting an AR-10. I was perusing around PSA’s website last night and came across one of their weekend deals that they had advertised. It is a Gen2 complete lower on sale for $159.99 shipped. I said what the hell and ordered it up. They also had a Gen2 SS 18” upper with BCG and CH for $299.99 shipped. I bought that too.

7C3953EF-1970-4B22-A618-90150934115D.thumb.jpeg.6f857c23d04df82a9db84f53f38b7a85.jpeg

My other PSA products have worked great and I have been pleased with the quality. That’s why I took a chance on this setup. For a total investment of $484.98, which includes my $25 FFL transfer fee, I hope it will work out. I’ll report back later once I get everything in hand.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2017 at 1:32 AM, Eric said:

I've got a 300 Blk upper and one of their lowers that are very good for the price. I bought one of their BCG's, but I've never used it. I use my BCM BCG. One day I'm going to pick up another lower from them and dedicate the PSA BCG to something.

Edited by KFC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kenny53 said:

I am a little old school when I go 308.  I love my M1A.

My M1As are also my favorite .308 rifles. For me variety is the spice of life; therefore, I like other rifles of the same caliber. The AR10 will be a new experience for me.