Rant: Pistol Grips

Brasso

It's common consensus that the hardest part of a pistol to conceal is the grip.       Most modern CCW pistols are made out of polymer.     With few to almost no exception, all of these guns have a point at the bottom of the backstrap.   THE hardest part of the grip to conceal, and the easiest to fix for a polymer gun manufacturer.    The 1911 guys figured this out years ago with the bobtail.    

My Walther PPS actually has a reasonable "roundness" to this part of the grip with certain mags and baby Glocks are so-so.     

I believe this "feature" is sorely missing from most CCW designs.

• Like 1

When I first started carrying concealed I fretted over printing, but quickly realized most people are oblivious and pay scant attention to what others may have under their clothing. Just last week I saw a fellow open carrying in a restaurant and only a few folks even glanced at the pistol.

I know some regions of the country and state laws can influence how one's gun is concealed. In my location permit holders can either open or conceal carry, so printing isn't a legal concern.

I choose to have my gun concealed with minimal to no printing and yes a rounded or bobtail would help, I find it also important the IWB holster design pulls the gun close to the body.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZ Husker said:

As an old bobtail fan, I totally agree. The back corner and the huge palm hump.

I agree 100%. One of the things I don't like about the Glock Grip is the "Hump" at the very bottom of the grip. I also don't like the finger grooves. Here's how the Gen 6 grip should look:

Glock angle3a.JPG

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, the hump on the Glock sucks.    

I file and sand off the finger grooves.   Bevel and increase the undercut on the trigger guard.    It then becomes un-painful to hold and shoot.     The hump is still in the wrong place for my hand.  Only the baby glocks fill my palm correctly.  

One of these days I might get adventurous and attempt a hump-ectomy.      A friend did his and it turned out pretty good.    He filled it with black glass epoxy and then sanded it down to the "correct" size for a human hand.    He then had to stipple the whole thing with a soldering iron to make it look presentable, but all in all it turned out looking good and feeling great.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:35 AM, Borg warner said:

I agree 100%. One of the things I don't like about the Glock Grip is the "Hump" at the very bottom of the grip. I also don't like the finger grooves. Here's how the Gen 6 grip should look:

Glock angle3a.JPG

Good job!

• 4 weeks later...

My Glock 26s and 27, Kahr MK9 and Beretta Nano are all so short that none have ever been a problem to conceal for me. The Nano is the tallest of those at about 4.3". The P2000sk are both just an RCH over 4.5" and again no problem to conceal. 

On the less frequent occasions where I go larger than the above guns it is likely to be My SP101 3" or my USP Compact @ 5" even and 5.06" respectively both of which also conceal very easily.

One that I never did get the attraction of carrying is a full sized 1911. My LB TRS weighs just under 46 ounces with 8 rounds in it and is 5.75" tall. Compared to my USP Compact 45 which is just under 35 ounces loaded with 9 rounds I don't see the point in going up 11 ounces in weight, 1.5" in length and .8125" in height. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:29 PM, Maxmanta said:

You DO NOT want a Curve.  Crappy trigger and mag release, no sights and hard to break down and clean.  I've got one in my safe my wife brought home 'cause it was cute and was going to carry it.  It sits in the safe and I had to guy buy a 43 'cause wifey carries my 42 now...

• Haha 1