SR9 Impressions

aimtrue

I recently purchased a Ruger9 PC Carbine to serve as both my recreational target rifle and home protector.   It is really a very nice weapon.  In fact, I am so pleased with it that when I saw that GRABAGUN had a full size 9mm pistol that shared the same magazines on sale for a low $311, I  decided to purchase the pistol.  It is an early Ruger designed SR9.  It will be used solely for home protection.

This is review of my impressions of the SR9, not a detailed technical commentary.

I made one component replacement before shooting the SR9 for the first time. I replaced the front sight with a HiViz fiber optic sight. I am a front sight shooter and my eyesight acuity has diminished with age. A fiber optic is much easier for me to focus upon than an iron sight. I also blacked out the white dots on the rear sight obviating any negative influence on my focus.

My first range session with the SR09 was a positive experience from the standpoint of gun handling, mechanical operation and accuracy. Therefore, I do not intend to make any other changes to the stock pistol.

During my familiarization shooting session, I used 17-round magazines and loaded three kinds of ammunition; 200 rounds of S&B 124gr FMJ, 100 rounds of Fiocchi 115gr JHP and 51 rounds of Federal 124gr HST. The SR9 handled all without the pistol suffering a single failure.

When shooting, I stood in an icicles stance. The grip was quite comfortable pulling the pistol easily from a DeSantis E-GAT Slide holster. Pistol balance was excellent allowing for smooth and manageable recovery after recoil. This was especially evident when I was quickly able realign to target doing double taps. At all times doing slow or rapid fire, I found the trigger to be acceptable.

The SR9 accuracy is good. My hit patterns on targets placed from seven to fifteen yards was tighter than I make using smaller frame pistols. I attribute this to the SR9 having a longer sight radius than my smaller frame pistols.

Attached 7 yard rapid fire target

The SR9 has two noticeable features different from my other pistols; a visibly loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnector. Neither feature interfered with my handling of the pistol.

After spending hours at the range pulling the pistol from holster, shooting and then replacing the pistol in the holster, I know that the SR9 loaded with a 17-round magazine would be too fatiguing for me to carry as my EDC. It would simply be too heavy on my hip for a days-long period of time. But, for the purpose I purchased this pistol (a home protector), its performance at the range and my easy handling of it validated the SR9 as a good choice.

My conclusion is that the SR9 is a fine pistol at a modest price and it fully meets my reason in choosing it.

Ruger SR9 3301.jpg

7yd rapid fire.jpg

• Like 4

I carried a PC4 carbine at work years ago before .223 was authorized. It was a very compact little carbine, and it was significantly shorter than our 870’s. 

I don’t care for the SR personally. It’s just not my thing, but it’s a Ruger so you know it’s bombproof and good to go. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had my Talo edition SR9c for some time now. It is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. I like the flexibility of the 10 rd mag for concealment and the 17 rd mag for anything else. The trigger is exceptional, and the fully adjustable rear sight is a great plus. The grip is really slim for a 17 rd double stack. You made an excellent choice in its full size version!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My wife carry gun is an SR9C. It is a great 9mm. The only complaint I have with it is really easy to not get a full magazine seated completely. I always have to insert the mag and then bump it with my palm to ensure it is fully seated.

Other than that, it is easy to shoot and quite accurate.

• 3 weeks later...