Some Mini 14 shooting

ROB

I shot my Mini 14 today at 50 and 100yrds, using open sights off sandbags. This is one of the thicker barreled newer guns with the redesigned gas block. Ammo today was Remington .223 69gr MatchKings.

IMG_20170822_153549.jpg

IMG_20170822_153608.jpg

Three of those holes are siamesed.

At 100yrds, I held the post over the bull with the upper half showing on top of the post. This worked pretty much perfect an enabled me a good enough sight picture to pull off an even 2" 5 shot group...which I consider pretty damn good for a carbine like this with irons.:2gun:

IMG_20170822_153442.jpg

IMG_20170822_153458.jpg

Edited by ROB
  • Like 3

That's awesome shooting.  Well done, sir.  My Mini-14 has a relatively poor trigger, compared with the AR clones to which I've grown accustomed.  It does serve a purpose, for close work, for shooters like me with much less well-developed long distance iron sight skills than those on display here.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I had a Mini 14 for years and loved it. I don't remember why I got rid of it. I wish Ruger had been able to make a go of the .308 version of their rifle. i would own one of those today.

• Like 3

I'd be all over a .243.

The trigger on this one is 'good'...probably around 5-6,lbs, but reasonably crisp. I'm thinking of mounting a Vortex on it, but really could be just fine with the irons.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, ROB said:

I'd be all over a .243.

The trigger on this one is 'good'...probably around 5-6,lbs, but reasonably crisp. I'm thinking of mounting a Vortex on it, but really could be just fine with the irons.

Yeah, that rifle in .243 would be great. I know that there are plenty of people that bitch about its accuracy, but it is as accurate as it needs to be, for what it was intended t do. It is reasonably accurate, very dependable and easy to maintain. It's an iconic little rifle and I miss having one. I'll have to get another one, at some point.

• Administrators

This is a pic of me and my two brothers (and one nephew) out shooting, in the desert outside of Phoenix. The Mini 14 on the left is mine. I am the handsome devil holding the M-1 Garand. That is by far my favorite rifle ever made. If I could only have one long gun, it would be an M-1 Garand. The tall brother is holding an HK-91 clone I used to have. I got a couple of them for a website I built, eighteen years ago, or so.

Here is a point of interest. About two hundred meters from where we are standing in that picture, is a hole in the desert, that is about 40 feet wide and a couple of hundred feet deep, originally. During WWII, German POW camps were located in the rural areas around Phoenix, to the west and around to the north. The German prisoners were put to work digging these huge vertical shafts. I don't know what they were trying to mine, in the floor of the desert, but it kept the German busy, I guess.

Over the years, many of the holes have been very nearly filled in with decades of garbage, stolen cars and a body or three. The mine hole near where we took that picture, was the site of the murder of something like 10 Mexican foreign nationals, about ten years ago. Those shafts have been a popular place to make things go away. Before I started GT, I worked for a water well company in Phoenix, as a mechanic and driver. I very nearly backed a 40' trailer, loaded with 1/4"-wall steel pipe, into one of those shafts, out in the desert near Wickenberg. That particular shaft hadn't been filled in much and it would have swallowed up, me, my truck and trailer. Close call.

BrothersShooting.JPG

BTW, I don't know if you can see it, but tucked in close on my left hip, is the Glock 35 that I carried for a while, until I got my Kimber. I haven't carried anything else IWB since then.

• Like 5

Nice shooting! I always had a keen interest in both the Mini-14 and Mini-30. I think they are very cool rifles. I think the main reason I am drawn to them is how the action resembles that of the M14/M1A. (Which is my favorite rifle)

• Like 3

• Administrators

During one of the terrorist attacks in France last year, I saw a lot of footage of French special police units of some sort. I was surprised to see that many of them were armed with the select-fire version of the Mini-14. It just seemed like an odd gun for French police to be carrying. I imagine it'll get the job done though. I would love to have one. I assume that there are Class III versions of it available here in the US. If so, I wonder what they sell for?

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned several early model Mini's in 223.  None would shoot, scoped, as well as an iron sighted AR.  I had an AC556 full auto for a while, fun gun but expensive to feed.  They were an cheaper alternative to an AR back in they day, but you can get a budget AR cheaper than a Mini now.

• Like 1

2" on stock iron sights? That's impressive as hell, ROB. So much for that 'they're inaccurate' BS, at least re: the newer series. It'd be interesting to see what the same gun does with the same shooter and a moderately good scope. Even if it isn't really that kind of rifle. Just 'proof of concept.'

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 11:02 PM, Eric said:

This is a pic of me and my two brothers (and one nephew) out shooting, in the desert outside of Phoenix. The Mini 14 on the left is mine. I am the handsome devil holding the M-1 Garand. That is by far my favorite rifle ever made. If I could only have one long gun, it would be an M-1 Garand. The tall brother is holding an HK-91 clone I used to have. I got a couple of them for a website I built, eighteen years ago, or so.

Here is a point of interest. About two hundred meters from where we are standing in that picture, is a hole in the desert, that is about 40 feet wide and a couple of hundred feet deep, originally. During WWII, German POW camps were located in the rural areas around Phoenix, to the west and around to the north. The German prisoners were put to work digging these huge vertical shafts. I don't know what they were trying to mine, in the floor of the desert, but it kept the German busy, I guess.

Over the years, many of the holes have been very nearly filled in with decades of garbage, stolen cars and a body or three. The mine hole near where we took that picture, was the site of the murder of something like 10 Mexican foreign nationals, about ten years ago. Those shafts have been a popular place to make things go away. Before I started GT, I worked for a water well company in Phoenix, as a mechanic and driver. I very nearly backed a 40' trailer, loaded with 1/4"-wall steel pipe, into one of those shafts, out in the desert near Wickenberg. That particular shaft hadn't been filled in much and it would have swallowed up, me, my truck and trailer. Close call.

BrothersShooting.JPG

BTW, I don't know if you can see it, but tucked in close on my left hip, is the Glock 35 that I carried for a while, until I got my Kimber. I haven't carried anything else IWB since then.

When you really think about it, that one photo embodies everything that we love and liberals loathe about America.  It just screams "America!"

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, fortyofforty said:

When you really think about it, that one photo embodies everything that we love and liberals loathe about America.  It just screams "America!"

A friend of mine used to own Sidearmor Holsters. In the early 2000s, he got an order for twenty OWB kydex holsters for Glock 17s, from Japan. He shipped the order and a couple of weeks later, he received a very polite complaint letter from the purchaser. It seems that the holsters were not a precise fit. It seems that the Japanese were not a police or military unit, as my friend assumed, but a group of Japanese citizens who owned realistic Airsoft pistols and would get together for 'shoots' and wargames in the woods. The Airsoft guns were not built to very exacting standards and were not a great fit for the holsters.

Anyway, it struck me as sad that those poor little bastards really wanted to be able to own guns, but their nation did not allow it. The framers of our constitution believed the rights they were safeguarding were inalienable Human rights, not just American rights. They believed those rights apply to everyone, even if they lived under a government that denied them to its citizens. I am proud to live in this country.

• Like 2