New pistol purchase × 2

F14A

So in the next week I will be buying 2..

A full size in 9 or 40 and a compact in the same cal.

I'm thinking on the HK VP. On the sub, I'm clueless. Looking for opinions and data points from you all. I know a few of you maniacs from the other place, so...

I would say both @ under 1100 Dollars. Should be plausable, yes? 

I have not purchased anything since my G43 2 years ago and I'm itching..

Let me know least I err..

Those XDM look very refined. The quaility seems to have gone up a bunch over my first year import model. I paid 229 for it.

That 1911 style safety is odd to me. It seems blasphemous. I owned many sigs, including a P229. Its too thick for me. Damn fine weapon though. 

What is the trigger on the XDM like now? 

Anyone shooting FN? 

I've owned Steyr and was not pleased. 

22 minutes ago, F14A said:

Those XDM look very refined. The quaility seems to have gone up a bunch over my first year import model. I paid 229 for it.

That 1911 style safety is odd to me. It seems blasphemous. I owned many sigs, including a P229. Its too thick for me. Damn fine weapon though. 

What is the trigger on the XDM like now? 

Anyone shooting FN? 

I've owned Steyr and was not pleased. 

Its pretty damn good for a stock trigger. If you want to kick it up a few massive notches get the PRP combat action job from Springfield. I have on my XDM 3.8 .40 full size, and it's amazing(it wasn't necessary, I just wanted it).

The grip safety doesn't really bother me and I kind of like it. Wouldn't miss it if it were gone and would probably prefer it gone, but it's somewhat comforting there.

I haven't shot an FN other than the five seven and thought it was amazing and insanely accurate.

Edited by Gun Shark

Just now, Gun Shark said:

Its pretty damn good for a stick trigger. If you want to kick it up a few massive notches get the PRP combat action job from Springfield. I have on my XDM 3.8 .40 full size, and it's amazing(it wasn't necessary, I just wanted it).

Hmm. Yea so money isn't a issue. What kind of turn around time we talking here? I'm leaning heavily toward the .40. It's a solid round to me irregardless of the negative attacks it always gets..

What was the cost out of curiosity? 

20 minutes ago, F14A said:

Hmm. Yea so money isn't a issue. What kind of turn around time we talking here? I'm leaning heavily toward the .40. It's a solid round to me irregardless of the negative attacks it always gets..

What was the cost out of curiosity? 

When I got it done(shipping was either $15 both ways(or I asked if they could do anything and reduced it) the amount for the trigger sounds about the same. I researched the **** out of PRP before I sent it in, and double checked with Springfield that that is what they used(even though back then they had explanations on the page below. 

CustomUpdateService-1.pdf

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, F14A said:

Springfield's got a helluva deal on buying a weapon. Only till the end of the month. 

4 SS mags.

2 mag holder

Holster. 

This changes things a little. 

damn, I may have to make a purchase and get a 5th Springfield, maybe this time in 9mm. already have 3 .45's one .40,

• Haha 1

• Administrators

I've put a lot of rounds through a Springfield XD and I liked it. It is a competent, accurate and reliable weapon. It's a nice choice, for the money.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the .40S&W round.I used to carry it, but I never really liked the snappy recoil impulse. I really prefer the push of the .45ACP, to the snap of the .40S&W. If given a choice between a .40S&W and a 9mm, I would go with the 9mm. I can fire the 9mm faster, with the same degree of accuracy.  It has less muzzle flip, so I can get off quicker, accurate followup shots. I don't think that the added punch of the .40S&W stands up against the greater chance of a well placed shot (Or shots) with the 9mm. Just my opinion though. Your mileage may vary.

I think you would be happy with the XD though. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

I hated the .40 for many years, even though I strapped one on every day. It wasn't until I got into the 10mm that I began to see the .40 for what it is. I know a lot of people hate it because it's not a 10mm. I see it as having .45 power and near 9mm capacity. 

I don't know **** about XD's in .40. I hated on those for years too, until this past year. I bought a Mod 2 subcompact in 9mm hoping to make it my new carry gun. I was surprised with the gun. I got past the poly rear rails and when I looked at my gun subjectively. I found it to be excellently built, right down to the machined piece of steel that acts as a loaded chamber indicator. I also dig the size and sights. I ran all my old hollow point ammo through it on it's first range outing, so there was a pretty good selection of hollow point designs and bullet weight. It fed and fired everything put to it, and 25 yard plate hits were not hard. It did take SA a long time to get me my magazines though. My only real complaints are the gun is overly large, and the magazines are thinner than standard double stack magazines and don't fit my Galco mag carrier. I added a Pierce +2 mag extension that is good for 15+1 rounds of 147 grain +P HST's. 

If you are looking at a .40 now seriously, people and companies are dumping them on the market right now dirt cheap.  I like the M&P over the Glock, so I have a complete brace of those. The .40 pictured is my second full sized .40. I ordered it from Bud's a month ago for 424 shipped with the crimson trace laser grips. I suspect they let it go so cheap because date code on the box is 9/13, so the batteries are at half shelf life. It was new in a very dusty box. 

Also right now FN FNS .40's are being blown out. My stainless one comes in Friday. They came out in 2011 and had an MSRP of 700 bucks. Mine was 350 shipped from KYgunco. That includes the 3% credit card fee, and insurance. It's a stainless gun, with steel sights, and three magazines for dirt cheap. I couldn't pass it up. 

20170427_155037.jpg

20170427_155215.jpg

Clipboard01gff.jpg

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason D said:

I hated the .40 for many years, even though I strapped one on every day. It wasn't until I got into the 10mm that I began to see the .40 for what it is. I know a lot of people hate it because it's not a 10mm. I see it as having .45 power and near 9mm capacity. 

I don't know **** about XD's in .40. I hated on those for years too, until this past year. I bought a Mod 2 subcompact in 9mm hoping to make it my new carry gun. I was surprised with the gun. I got past the poly rear rails and when I looked at my gun subjectively. I found it to be excellently built, right down to the machined piece of steel that acts as a loaded chamber indicator. I also dig the size and sights. I ran all my old hollow point ammo through it on it's first range outing, so there was a pretty good selection of hollow point designs and bullet weight. It fed and fired everything put to it, and 25 yard plate hits were not hard. It did take SA a long time to get me my magazines though. My only real complaints are the gun is overly large, and the magazines are thinner than standard double stack magazines and don't fit my Galco mag carrier. I added a Pierce +2 mag extension that is good for 15+1 rounds of 147 grain +P HST's. 

If you are looking at a .40 now seriously, people and companies are dumping them on the market right now dirt cheap.  I like the M&P over the Glock, so I have a complete brace of those. The .40 pictured is my second full sized .40. I ordered it from Bud's a month ago for 424 shipped with the crimson trace laser grips. I suspect they let it go so cheap because date code on the box is 9/13, so the batteries are at half shelf life. It was new in a very dusty box. 

Also right now FN FNS .40's are being blown out. My stainless one comes in Friday. They came out in 2011 and had an MSRP of 700 bucks. Mine was 350 shipped from KYgunco. That includes the 3% credit card fee, and insurance. It's a stainless gun, with steel sights, and three magazines for dirt cheap. I couldn't pass it up. 

20170427_155037.jpg

20170427_155215.jpg

Clipboard01gff.jpg

Nice. I checked Bud's yesterday on the SA .40 and no joy. So I took another look at the FN & The HK. VP series. So how you like that FN? 

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate your  opinions..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F14A said:

Nice. I checked Bud's yesterday on the SA .40 and no joy. So I took another look at the FN & The HK. VP series. So how you like that FN? 

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/686521443

I have never purchased from these people before, but they seem very highly reviewed. Here is another one not Bi-Tone.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680642358

ETA: I used Gun Broker to get a P229 Legion back in May and it was very painless, easy, and got very large discount simply by asking nicely for one.

Edited by Gun Shark
  • Like 1

I have used Hk' for years. I like the P30l. In .40.  It shoots and handles like a dream. For a compact you would be hard pressed to beat a Walther pps. I switched from a p7m8 to the psp, for cost reasons and feel as well armed except now I don't worry about getting caught in the rain.

I think you could get both for your price target through conn.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, F14A said:

I haven't picked it up yet. It came in today and I'll be getting it tomorrow. I actually impulse bought the FN, then had to read everything I could on them. It seems that most people like them. I'll know more when I get it. 

• Like 1

I picked it up today.

Overall impression was that it was nicely sized, fit the hand well, and had a decent enough trigger. There is some sponge like take up, but once you get past that. There is a fairly clean break at 5 to 5 in a half pounds. Much better than a stock Glock, M&P, and probably on par with the Walther PPQ. From the outside the gun looks like any other poly gun out there. I thought it looked vaguely Sigma like. When you pop the hood you find what sets it apart. It has a massive locking block set into the frame and that is all slide rail. Fully ambidextrous controls for safety, slide stop, and magazine release. It all ends at the back of the gun with another set of massive rails. The slide is set up like any other striker fired gun, but with a steel guide rod, sights, and a cold hammer forged barrel. 

This gun was new from KYGUNCO, and I am into it for 370 bucks including the transfer fee. The thing is that these are excellent guns, in an excellent caliber, yet this one must have sat in inventory for a long time. It still had brass casings in the box dated 9-12. It seems no one is buying .40's these days. 

fn.jpg

fn1.jpg

fn2.jpg

fn3.jpg

fn4.jpg

fn5.jpg

Edited by Jason D

6 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

IMG_1193.PNG

That is an option if Springfield isn't on your **** list. 

I'd picked up two this year, with the last being picked up just a day before the SHTF. I got my magazines for both, but the XD mags took three months and four days. 

1 minute ago, Jason D said:

That is an option if Springfield isn't on your **** list. 

I'd picked up two this year, with the last being picked up just a day before the SHTF. I got my magazines for both, but the XD mags took three months and four days. 

They make solid firearms that I shoot well with. I like them more than glock, and I'm not the hugest fan of M&Ps). I trust my life to all of the ones in the house. 

Their bad publicity and marketing/decisions aren't going to make me stop buying their guns unless they effect the reliability of their weapons.

we got an XD during one of those promotions. A before XDM's existed...Took a while to get to us as well.

3 minutes ago, Gun Shark said:

They make solid firearms that I shoot well with. I like them more than glock, and I'm not the hugest fan of M&Ps). I trust my life to all of the ones in the house. 

Their bad publicity and marketing/decisions aren't going to make me stop buying their guns unless they effect the reliability of their weapons.

we got an XD during one of those promotions. A before XDM's existed...Took a while to get to us as well.

I can respect that. It was enough to make me stop buying them, but not to talk **** about their products. There is no doubt that Springfield firearms are the best bang for the buck in the 1911 world. I was slow to accept the XD, but have been pleased overall with it. It's a well built pistol.