Yeah, I'm a jerk.

Cougar_ml

So maybe I just didn't get enough sleep last night, but I was somewhat rude to an employee at Home Depot a couple hours ago.  

To start out with, I have a very strong dislike of the self checkout kiosks that seem to be in every large store these days.  I never use them.

So when I went to check out at Home Depot there wasn't anyone at ANY of the check outs.  None.  Every station had it's light off, and no people in any of them.

The only place there was anyone standing was the self checkout.  She was kind of slouching/leaning back against the front of her computer station in the middle of the kiosk area.

So I walked up to her, informed her that "I do not like self checkout and she is the only person working checkout."

She immediately responded with "that's not true there are other people"

I take a look down the row where every single checkout station is visible, and still, no employees and no lights on indicating open stations.

I handed her my purchase, she walked over to a kiosk, swiped it, tossed it into a bag, and walked off again.

I tried to hand her the money to pay, she just pointed at the kiosk and told me to pay there.

I put my money back in my wallet, and walked out of the store, making some sort of remark over my shoulder that this is not the type of assistance I was expecting to receive at the store.

I've been fuming over it ever since, still haven't decided if I am upset enough to write a letter to the store to complain.  I have never been treated like that at any Home Depot before, maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon that is expecting too much from today's society.

• Like 3

I think you are working yourself up over something barely more than nothing.  Quit going to Home Depot and go to a pro store and you can wait in line while they shoot the **** with the guy in front of you.  There is always some trade off.  Would it really be that hard to handling paying with your credit card yourself?  It takes like 30 seconds.

I have gotten bent out of shape over stupid stuff myself, trying to stop as it doesn't change anything or make me happier.

• Like 2

Funny, I love self-checkout stores. I recall one time at home depot where I was happily ringing up my own **** and this dumb bitch shows up and takes items out of my hands without saying a word and starts scanning them for me. It needed a VERY firm "I'm good, thank you!" for her to move out of my way. Probably scared it when I used my military voice, loud enough to be heard in the entire store.

I can't stand regular check-outs.

Just a few days ago they pissed me off at my local WholeFoods:

- super slow woman working the register

- they push a dumb and useless small talk on me, every single time, asking me how these chips are and other bullshit

- every time they ask me if I'm an Amazon Prime member and every time I tell them "Not anymore, I hate that company, stop asking!"

- than the bagger uses double paper bags, even for light stuff, clogging up my trash can when I have to throw that **** out

- than the bagger coughed into his hand and continues to touch my produce

I immediately said "Alright, I will bag my own items from now on!", grabbed a bag and started packing my own **** Had to repeat it because dumbass couldn't believe that somebody is done with that bullshit.

The less people touch my groceries with their bacteria ridden fap fingers the better.

I truly hope that Wal Mart stars carrying more organic food. I love shopping at Wally world late at night. Almost nobody is there, and I can go in and out without having to talk to some clown or having somebody finger my food after they pulled them out of their asses and whatnot.

Edited by crockett

33 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I think you are working yourself up over something barely more than nothing.  Quit going to Home Depot and go to a pro store and you can wait in line while they shoot the **** with the guy in front of you.  There is always some trade off.  Would it really be that hard to handling paying with your credit card yourself?  It takes like 30 seconds.

I have gotten bent out of shape over stupid stuff myself, trying to stop as it doesn't change anything or make me happier.

That seems like a pretty heavy handed response? Home Depot, Target, most grocery chains are doing a fairly good job of training their customer base to do the work of a check out clerk and with that comes the screwed up situations like coupons not working properly, price checks, The kiosk not having change for your 100.00 bill and other issues that arise. Once we are all checking and bagging our own purchases the only obvious cost savings for the store will be less kiosks and we will return to standing in lines to do their work.

I like the trade off's of doing more work if there is a cost savings for me (Sam's boxing your own groceries comes to mind), but when I do their work to improve their bottom line I don't believe that is good customer service.

53 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

I handed her my purchase, she walked over to a kiosk, swiped it, tossed it into a bag, and walked off again.

I tried to hand her the money to pay, she just pointed at the kiosk and told me to pay there.

I put my money back in my wallet, and walked out of the store, making some sort of remark over my shoulder that this is not the type of assistance I was expecting to receive at the store.

........  maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon that is expecting too much from today's society.

This really is not worth complaining about.  Congratulations on attempting the brave new world of self checkout though.  Future attempts may not prove to be above your pay grade, but we're going to have to put this one down as a fail. 

5 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

This really is not worth complaining about.  Congratulations on attempting the brave new world of self checkout though.  Future attempts may not prove to be above your pay grade, but we're going to have to put this one down as a fail. 

I've used them before, I just have absolutely no desire to.  

If I'm paying the same price for an item whether I do the work to pay the store for the item, or can hand it to an employee and have them do it I'd much rather let them.  

If I wanted to buy something electronically, I'd do it from my computer, and have it delivered to my house.  I still prefer to go to the brick and mortar stores for the human interaction.  

I don't like being a jerk to people, so I came here to vent my frustration and hopefully not feel quite so bad about being a jerk, even if it was justified.

• Like 1

I love self-service checkout. Faster and I watch every item scanned. Insert credit or debit card and done. Can't get much easier than that. It will soon be everywhere. McDonalds and Applebees already have them installed. Thank Obama and the new minimum wage for that.

Edited by AZ Husker
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I won't use them.  I'll walk.  HD and lowes have a "contractors" checkout and I'll go wait in line there.

Lately, I've seen where checkers stood there with empty lanes while people waited in a long line to use the self-checkout.

The contractor checkouts are usually the only ones open in the home depots around here.  

It's sort of the opposite here, normally there will be a line at the contractor checkout/s and the self service kiosk attendant will come out and start calling to people in line that they are open and can help people.

1 hour ago, geeorge said:

I only go to Lowes

I'm still annoyed with lowes after having stuff out on the shelf with a similar name/description to the tag that was below them, but getting to checkout and finding it was an item they hadn't put the price tag up for.  It took someone over 10 minutes to go check the shelf which was 30 feet away and in plain sight of where we were standing at the time.  They didn't even apologize for the mistake, just said the shelf hadn't been labeled yet, and I'd have to pay what the computer system said if I wanted to get it.

The plus side of lowes is every time I do go in there I can find at least 1 or 2 cashiers open near the self checkout, and the person overseeing the self checkout is another cashier that has their own station to ring up purchases.

The closest Home Despot [SIC] or Lowe's to me is near a retirement community and I hate going to them. Yes, the True Value and ACE hardware stores too. 

One either uses the self-checkout [and they never warn you of the anti-theft RFID devices in some packages] or you get in line behind some lonely elderly person who has to pay with a personal check as if it is still 1967. They have to find their checkbook, then find a pen, then repeatedly ask how much the transaction was - somewhere interjecting that the cost used to be much less, and then find their driver's license, etc. A simple purchase of two AC filters can take over five minutes [I've timed these transactions repeatedly] for one person and this assumes that they don't make a mistake on the check. I've gotten to the point of believing that stores should not accept checks for purchases less than $500 total.  

Some people love efficiency and I am one of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

So maybe I just didn't get enough sleep last night, but I was somewhat rude to an employee at Home Depot a couple hours ago.  

To start out with, I have a very strong dislike of the self checkout kiosks that seem to be in every large store these days.  I never use them.

So when I went to check out at Home Depot there wasn't anyone at ANY of the check outs.  None.  Every station had it's light off, and no people in any of them.

The only place there was anyone standing was the self checkout.  She was kind of slouching/leaning back against the front of her computer station in the middle of the kiosk area.

So I walked up to her, informed her that "I do not like self checkout and she is the only person working checkout."

She immediately responded with "that's not true there are other people"

I take a look down the row where every single checkout station is visible, and still, no employees and no lights on indicating open stations.

I've been fuming over it ever since, still haven't decided if I am upset enough to write a letter to the store to complain.  I have never been treated like that at any Home Depot before, maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon that is expecting too much from today's society.

I don't like self checkout either but if I absolutely have to use it there should be someone there to help me with it. And if that someone give me an "ATTITUDE" then that is extremely poor customer service. By all means write a letter to the local store management and CC copies to as many people in the company as you can and let them know that you no longer wish to shop at Home Depot because of this experience and that you will recommend to everyone you know that they shop elsewhere.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sigobsessed said:

Yes but did she have jacked up teeth?

I didn't pay any attention to her teeth, or really anything else about her other than her behavior towards me.  

Considering where the store is located and her extremely poor posture, I wouldn't be surprised if her teeth were less than perfect.

Just now, Cougar_ml said:

I didn't pay any attention to her teeth, or really anything else about her other than her behavior towards me.  

Considering where the store is located and her extremely poor posture, I wouldn't be surprised if her teeth were less than perfect.

It sucks that a lot of these big box stores hire people with less than stellar attitudes! The Home Depot that I frequent has excellent customer service! I think it’s starts with the manager and trickles down though!

My wife loves them, I won't use them. I don't work for the store. Seems like some stores are taking them out. The local Albertsons and Safeway have removed them. I'm also one of those dreaded elderly folks. Although I don't write checks, or use credit cards for that matter. Lucky for me Home Depot and Lowes are across the street from each other. I used to shop Home Depot, only because I owned stock in the company. I much prefer Lowes, just seems cleaner and better staffed.

My theory is that self checkout has a scale, adds in the weight of each item purchased (from their database) and expects it to be placed on the scale where your bag is.

I don't know if that's true, so I attempted a Google search and most of the self checkout web posts concerned either how much people hated them, or how to rip them off.    I guess it's popular for them to be unpopular. 

18 minutes ago, GPM said:

My wife loves them, I won't use them. I don't work for the store. Seems like some stores are taking them out. The local Albertsons and Safeway have removed them. I'm also one of those dreaded elderly folks. Although I don't write checks, or use credit cards for that matter. Lucky for me Home Depot and Lowes are across the street from each other. I used to shop Home Depot, only because I owned stock in the company. I much prefer Lowes, just seems cleaner and better staffed.

I am on the verge of Social Security myself and recall doing "duck & cover" nuclear drills in elementary school, but don't write checks or have to count out coins from a coin purse for exact change on every purchase. Some old folks make life intentionally difficult just because they can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, blueiron said:

I am on the verge of Social Security myself and recall doing "duck & cover" nuclear drills in elementary school, but don't write checks or have to count out coins from a coin purse for exact change on every purchase. Some old folks make life intentionally difficult just because they can. 

I am retired and can tell you they do it because they are inconsiderate. The only person in the world they think about is themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1