Any LEOs pay for extra firearms or tactical training?

fortyofforty

Yes, there are some who do. I was in a training classes with Larry Vickers a year ago about this time and we had to Chicago police officers in our class, both relatively younger men. They were there because they receive very little training and the required annual firearm qualifications and standards are, their words, "a joke."

They were paying for the classes they were taking out of their own pockets.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

over the years thousands of my money and the peoples money

Gunsight

Rogers

Jeff Gonzales 

Sig and smith academy 

Just about every H&K instructor school including tactical team instructor shoot house instructor I spent about 6 months at H&K over the years.

SWAT Classes at Quantico with HRT .

Dennis Chalker

Bill Rapier.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • I never paid for any additional training. However, our dept. would (from time to time) receive invitations from other depts. to allow us to train with them. I am blessed to have trained with other local depts. as well as FBI and SWAT teams. That was many years ago, as I retired in 2008. Don't know if that is still happening, but I hope it is.

Of course I have. 

Dealing with mental illness, verbal deescalation, customer service, and sensitivity training won’t help you in a gunfight. 

If i shot only when work provided the ammo/training, I would shot exactly 100 rounds a year. 

You get what you put into things.  

I ate a LOT of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to save money for classes worth taking.

But, frankly, it's like that in any industry.  If you aren't looking out for yourself you can expect to be over run by those who do.

The guys in jail have nothing to do but get better every day.  They practice. They work out.  They dream of the day you will fail. They are waiting for that one day when they think they will win.

YOU have to make a choice to be the error in the victim selection process.

Get some!

• 7 months later...

Formal training, no. The prices they ask plus the price of 1k+ rounds of ammo for classes that are either held in another part of the state or another state are way too expensive for me. 

My training came from years of reloading and shooting competition. A little bit every month in competition goes a long way in comparison to shooting fifty rounds at specified distances within a specified time twice a year.