Popcorn

Eric

A Whirly Pop worked well for me.  Lots of butter and some popcorn salt.  Those bags that have premeasured oil/popcorn that you put in a popper work pretty well.   A friend had a small version of what the movie theaters use.  Made excellent popcorn.  

Edited by 21 shooter

• Administrators

I am a popcorn junky. 

I posted this in another thread on TBS (there is also a really long thread on GT with lots of great info....I need to dig that up and transfer some info here)

I have tried to pop most every kind of kernel.  While there is some *exotic* stuff that I like, the plain old yellow, cheap kernels are generally the best and pop the best.

I take a cooking pot, cover the entire bottom of the pot with a single layer (loosely packed) of kernels, throw in a small pinch of soup bouillon and then cover the kernels with just enough oil to submerge them all. 

Quality olive oils are a good place to start but you can experiment with others.  Peanut and sesame oils can produce magnificent results. Really oily chili oils can make a good addition to another oil as well. For normal popped corn, I also have good results with Cappulo brand canola oil. 

I use powdered soup bouillon instead of salt.  The Osem brands are very finely powdered and mild.  The Knorr brand is courser and has more "zing."  

So, you turn on the stove with the kernels and oil.  You hold a metal cookie sheet (make sure it is strong enough to hold on one end) over the pot. You can just use a lid, but your hand (wrist) is directly over the hot oil.   You have to get a knack for when to stop (pull the pot off the oven) because there is a fine line between perfect and starting to burn.  It can make a mess, so plan for a place to put the metal cover.   You also have to make sure your pot is just the right size so you don't "overflow" it with popped corn.  It seems that a base about as wide as the pot is tall works.  The corn will go above the rim, but not by much.   Be careful after you take it off the stove because a few kernels will still pop and could send an oil and popcorn flying.  

Let the popcorn sit for a minute or two.  It needs to "harden."  Hot and freshly popped, it is soggy.  After sitting for a minute or two it firms up.   

What I like to do is take all the popped corn that is out of the oil left on the bottom, place it into a bowl, season and eat.  When you are done, there will be the popped corn that has been left in the oil....and that is damned near life altering in its goodness, for the final few bites. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NPTim said:

What the ****y **** is this ****ery? Kale on popcorn? Can’t we just have good delicious food that is bad for you?

popcorn, butter, maybe some parmigiana maybe some herbs.

Around here, it is only acceptable to eat kale with a crown roast of Duroc in the fall, perhaps braised in bacon with a touch of garlic and sherry vinegar.

• Thanks 1