What is your favorite generation of GLOCK?

fortyofforty

What is your favorite generation of GLOCK?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite generation of GLOCK?

• Gen 1
    • Gen 2
    • Gen 3
    • Gen 4
    • Gen 5

What is your favorite generation?  Do you like the original, classic Gen 1?  Are you a fan of the transitional Gen 2?  How about the first "modern" iteration, the Gen 3?  Gen 4 introduced a lot of changes.  Now we're in the middle of Gen 5.  Which is your personal favorite?

I voted Gen 3 because the finger bumps can be removed and if you just remove the bumps and not the checkering in between you don't need grip tape or (yuck) stippling. I like the Gen 2's as long as a Pearce PG-FML Floorplate is used and the only Gen 5 I like is the G19x which has no finger grooves AND no dumbass mag cut-out, I also like the "Clean" look of the Gen 2's without the rail and without the thumbrest but the rail can be useful on a home defense gun like a G21.

I have no experience with Gen 4's but I like the idea of interchangeable backstraps. I currently have a G20SF an dmigh t consider a Gen4 G21 becase with the smalles backstrap it's supposed to be the same size as the Gen 3 SF frame.

Right now, Gen4.  I think there are some good improvements in the Gen5 guns, but the half moon cut out bothers me, especially on the G19.  My next purchase will likely be either a G17 Gen5 or a 19x.  I won't buy a Gen5 19 until they get rid of that cutout.

I like the shorter trigger reach on the gen4s.  I use sandpaper to smooth the backstrap some and enlarge the undercut of the trigger guard.  All my gen3s are retired (except for a couple barrels)  or given away.  I still enjoy the gen2 G17 I've had since 1989. 

I haven't tried a gen5 unless you count G42 and G43.   I like many of the new features, but not enough to go for it unless I really like the feel.  I will check out a G26 when the chance comes. 

All four of my Glocks are third-generation, so I guess I'll have to go with Gen 3. However, I'll have to admit that my third-generation Glock 21 is almost too large for my hand. I've considered trading it, but that is as far as it's gone.

3 hours ago, minderasr said:

Same here...sort of.  Is the G43 considered gen 5?

I have a G26, G32, G23, & G21.

The G43 is a slimline version of the G26 and appears to be considered a single stack generation 4.

I’m not super picky to be honest.

When I wanted a G21 a few months ago I went to the local shop and bought the one they had in stock. Couldn’t have cared less what generation it was.  It ended up being a gen4 and I like how slim it is without any of the backstraps on it  

I do, however, really regret selling my gen2 G23 I carried as a reserve deputy years ago. 

I don’t carry a light on a  CCW gun, and although the finger grooves fit my hand and don’t bother me, I do prefer it without them. 

Work just recently issued us gen5 G17’s. Haven’t made my mind up on them yet. 

Gen 4 for me. I find the changes useful for my use. Slightly smaller grip circumference, larger mag release, dual recoil spring on full and compact sizes and a texture with more "grip" for when my hands aren't clean and dry. The Gen 5s (to me) seem one step forward with two steps back. I have no interest. YMMV.

16 hours ago, sticks said:

The G43 is a slimline version of the G26 and appears to be considered a single stack generation 4.

The G42 and G43 have these (and maybe some other) gen5 features:  No finger grooves, non-rotating firing pin safety, captured coil spring on the slide stop lever, coil (instead of leaf) spring for the slide lock lever,  redesigned cruciform and trigger spring, two pin design.  They don't have flared mag wells or ambi slide stops.

The G43 has a slightly longer grip than the G26.

7 hours ago, HGxyz said:

The G42 and G43 have these (and maybe some other) gen5 features:  No finger grooves, non-rotating firing pin safety, captured coil spring on the slide stop lever, coil (instead of leaf) spring for the slide lock lever,  redesigned cruciform and trigger spring, two pin design.  They don't have flared mag wells or ambi slide stops.

The G43 has a slightly longer grip than the G26.

I just checked the Glock website and it does not list the G43 as a Generation 4 or a Generation 5.

However, since the G43 came out after most Generation 4's, and before the Generation 5's, some are referring to the G43 as a Generation 4.5.