3 favorite rifle cartridges?

Valmet

Seeing as we don’t have a “caliber corner,” I figured this forum was a good place for it...what 3 rifle cartridges are your all-time favorites and why? (I chose three for the sake of forum discussion as I could easily list several others)

243 Winchester- unbelievably versatile, highly accurate, fun to shoot with little felt recoil, and ammo is common. 

30-30 Winchester- after hunting deer with belted magnums as a young twenty-something I realized that yes, the 30-30 WILL do most everything on East Coast whitetail. My 94 is a joy to carry, I’m proficient with it and ammo is abundant

308 Norma Magnum- I love this cartridge that won’t die. Everything a 300 Win Mag can do and more if you’re a handloader. Purchased a cheap, used Model 70 7mm Mag in HS and had it rebarreled to 308 Norma as a family friend had tons of ammo and components he didn’t need anymore. 

What about you guys? 

• Like 4

7.62x39 - it’s cheap, compact and comfortable to shoot.

7.62x54R - It’s design is unique . It’s also quite capable.

5.45x39 - it’s cheap and easy to shoot.

For me the 5.56x45 is about a tie with the 5.45x39 for the same reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Collim1 said:

.223 cause AR15

7.62x39mm cause Kalashnikov  

.30-06 cause M1 Garand 

those are the rifle cartridges I own. I hunt with a .270, but only shoot a few rounds a year out of it. 

Almost the same except I don't have a 7.62x39 yet.  I'd substitute 22lr - cause I shoot a lot of it.   Love the 270 too.

• Like 1

I have a hard time with this one, what I shoot the most verse my top 3 would be different. So top 3 rifle cartridges;

.308, its versatile accurate and readily available. 

30-06, when .308 isn't enough and well, M1 Garand. 

6mm BR, fast and accurate and bit easier on you for a long day. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

30.06-M1 Garand and Model 1917-Great American military rifles, from a time  when America still won wars. 

.223-Bushmaster AR and Howa 1500-Bought my Bushy back in the 90's.  It has a fixed carry handle and 20" barrel.  My Howa was purchased used. 

.17 Remington Center fire-Remington 700.  I have been fascinated with the cartridge since the 1970's.  The idea of super speed superlight projectiles.  I finally purchased the Remington when I found one in my lgs-it was used, had very few rounds fired.  Its fun to blow up plastic milk jugs fill of water at 200 yards with hollow points. 

I am not a hunter, but a range shooter.  I shoot because I love to do it, not for any other reason.  Been at it more then 50 years. 

Edited by norton

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, the caliber's I've loved before (singing)

.45 in pistol.
556 because of my history with it.
7mm--08 because of my love affair with Miss Weatherbey.

45-70 because of her history and I like to shoot heavy.
9mm because it was once inexpensive and everyone had it.

3030 because i thought  was the rifleman man i was 14.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.