How do you store your bulk brass?

Valmet

I mostly reload .38 Spl, .44 Spl, and .45ACP in handguns and .243 Win and .308 Norma in rifle ammo. While I don’t shoot enough rifle ammo to warrant bulk storage, in handgun cartridges I certainly do...in road-cone orange Home Depot 5-gallon drywall buckets. 

How do you guys store bulk brass? 

My M1 Garand brass all fits into a couple of gallon ziploc bags. I just don’t maintain a huge collection of it. A few hundred rounds at a time. 

My .38 spl brass, on the other hand, I have several thousand of on hand at any given time. It lives in a big cardboard box thats says “Amazon Prime” on it. 

5 gallon buckets would be a smart choice if I needed to move a bunch of it. 

I store all my supplies (short of powder) in Rubbermaid Modular Food Storage Canisters. The small ones are great for 1,000 bullets, the mid size and larger ones hold 1,000 cases of most calibers.

Since I got away from picking up other than my own range brass and only buy new Starline to start out with, I don't do bulk cases anymore. I have in average 2,000 cases for every caliber I own. 1,000 in the reloading cycle, and 1,000 as a backup.

Keeps everything dry as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BKGJ1A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81a9T7H2KlL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

I find a sturdy box that fits under the bench, often what the brass I bought came in so a USPS flatmate box or similar. They sit pretty well under the bottom of the bench, not a lot of wasted space. At the range I may use ziplock bags to collect what I shot, toss that bag right back in the box until I'm ready to process them out. 

I also used "recycled" plastic jugs from animal crackers and pretzels when the kids were younger. Those giant ones you get from Costco, BJ's or Price Club. But those have mostly gone away. 

On 7/16/2018 at 10:28 PM, Valmet said:

I mostly reload .38 Spl, .44 Spl, and .45ACP in handguns and .243 Win and .308 Norma in rifle ammo. While I don’t shoot enough rifle ammo to warrant bulk storage, in handgun cartridges I certainly do...in road-cone orange Home Depot 5-gallon drywall buckets. 

+1 on the Home Depot buckets. I also have some of the 3 gal litter buckets that I use as well for storing clean brass..  I load mostly 9/42/45 in pistol calibers. I've got a bucket of 5.56 brass to process whenever I can get motivated.

s45

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, Texas48 said:

I use old pretzel jars from costco. They hold about 2000 10mm brass about 2300 .40 and about 2600 9 mm. They have tight screw on lids. 

I use the same pretzel jars to store cases for calibers I reload a bunch. Ammo I reload less and in smaller numbers like .44 Russian, .380/200 and .45 Auto Rim I store in larger Tupper Ware containers.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything on hand. Some old small trash cans to used coffee containers and USPS flat rate boxes. 

Favorite ones are two large salsa containers that were once used a local restaurant. One marked “Mild” is for 40 cal and the one marked “Hot” is for 10 mm.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2018 at 11:28 PM, Valmet said:

Like you,  I reload mostly pistol (9, 40, .45, .38spl).  I use these...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Wide-Tower-Black/20699661?athcpid=20699661&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-e097632f-42388efbf6ad0ba9&athena=true

Each drawer one caliber, large freezer bags... 100-200 pieces per bag after they are cleaned and inspected.  I'm kind of an OCD and am a freak about organization, but I'm also a cheapskate.  I use the larger drawers for 9, 40, and .45.. one of the smaller drawers for .38.. and the top drawer has some .223 that I've started to acquire (but don't load yet).  These have been solid for me, and weren't expensive at all.   Again, for me.. this more than meets my needs.  It's easily expandable if I ever need more drawers, just go buy another set for $30 bucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.