Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone doing anything interesting with Ham radio?  I'm primarily a mobile user and Skywarn member.  I've done some low Earth orbit satellite stuff but it got kind of boring just making contacts and not actually talking to folks.  We have fantastic UHF statewide coverage here in Florida and a couple linked systems that can effectively do coast to coast coms.  What are you doing?

 

 

HamAnt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got started in the hobby.  I us 70cm and 2 meter while driving since I do a lot of it.  Plan on getting my license upgraded and then start playing on HF.  I have used echolink and have it on all my electronic devises but that's not Ham radio to me.  More fun talking/listening over the airways.

KN4NFG

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing it a long time.   As i type this i just finished a QSO via ROIP/VOIP and at the same time i finished an FT8 call with Malta.   I have the 144 mgz system running for the usual guys within about 100 square miles.    Propagation is just now starting to change in my favor.  I get my weather pics from the ERWIN goes system.

I work mostly digital modes.   Involved with ARES, our local EOC (professionally and as a ham), volunteer examiner, EC-01 qualified teacher, skywarn.

On the agenda this year is to work some sats.

Love this hobby.

Shack pistol is current a Smith and Wesson Chief's special made about 1968.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very rewarding hobby.  Many don't know the fun of meeting people around the globe and building friendships over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, janice6 said:

It's a very rewarding hobby.  Many don't know the fun of meeting people around the globe and building friendships over the years.

It's a very curious hobby.  The people i know who do it are some of the most thoughtful and interesting people i've met.

They do things that astound other people if they will only listen.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HollowHead said:

Just started myself.   I've been kicking around the 70cm/2m spaces locally and am currently studying for the general. HH    

You are going to have a blast with general.   I've only made it that far.  But i've been heard around the world.

PSK31, JT8, RTTY, FeldHell, Thor, Olivia, voice, voip/roip, i might have missed one mode.  Oh yeah, Winlink.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 3:31 PM, Historian said:

You are going to have a blast with general.   I've only made it that far.  But i've been heard around the world.

PSK31, JT8, RTTY, FeldHell, Thor, Olivia, voice, voip/roip, i might have missed one mode.  Oh yeah, Winlink.

How are you with Yaesu programming using ADMH-2H software?   Got a question, if I may...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, HollowHead said:

How are you with Yaesu programming using ADMH-2H software?   Got a question, if I may...

You mean the product by RT Systems?   RT systems makes thing easy.   RF Finder is a great online resource to download all the frequencies and the off set tones required all at once.    It's amazing.  I programmed a 2980 in about five minutes.  CHIRP is pretty good too.  But i still got my frequencies from RF Finder.

What's your question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Historian said:

You mean the product by RT Systems?   RT systems makes thing easy.   RF Finder is a great online resource to download all the frequencies and the off set tones required all at once.    It's amazing.  I programmed a 2980 in about five minutes.  CHIRP is pretty good too.  But i still got my frequencies from RF Finder.

What's your question?

I made a mistake with one entry (misnamed a repeater) and would like to add three more frequencies.   Do I need to wipe / reset the radio and reload the corrected spreadsheet or can I go in and make changes to an already programmed radio?  Thanks in advance.  HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been a lifetime since I played with those.  I didn't know anyone still did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 10:45 PM, HollowHead said:

I made a mistake with one entry (misnamed a repeater) and would like to add three more frequencies.   Do I need to wipe / reset the radio and reload the corrected spreadsheet or can I go in and make changes to an already programmed radio?  Thanks in advance.  HH

You can edit the device without wiping it or you can create a whole new spreadsheet.  I've got RT for my 6XR but use chirp on a Linux box. I typically just edit one spreadsheet over and over until I get what I want and then upload all my radios with the new info.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

You can edit the device without wiping it or you can create a whole new spreadsheet.  I've got RT for my 6XR but use chirp on a Linux box. I typically just edit one spreadsheet over and over until I get what I want and then upload all my radios with the new info.

Correct.  I would suggest always making a backup before any changes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...