Dramatic Pictures

Eric

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Scrubber? The gold colored tops of the stacks? Far as I know that is mere ornamentation. In fact, for all I know that boat does not even have a boiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones I've seen on the Mississippi fold down there stack to get under bridges when the water is high.  Pretty sure they have diesel engines and props.

" American Queen's stern paddlewheel is indeed powered by a steam plant, her secondary propulsion, in case of an emergency and for maneuverability around tight areas where the paddle wheel can not navigate, comes from a set of diesel-electric propellers known as Z-drives on either side of the sternwheel."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Queen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ones I've seen on the Mississippi fold down there stack to get under bridges when the water is high.  Pretty sure they have diesel engines and props.
  " American Queen's stern paddlewheel is indeed powered by a steam plant, her secondary propulsion, in case of an emergency and for maneuverability around tight areas where the paddle wheel can not navigate, comes from a set of diesel-electric propellers known as Z-drives on either side of the sternwheel."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Queen

I think most boats/ships of any size these days have side mounted pushers. The Andrew Jackson, based in Nashville TN, does and can turn in its own length. It has a stern-wheel, but it may only be an ornament

https://www.steamboatnatchez.com/

The Natchez has true steam power and also side thrusters. When daughter and I rode her one could wander into the engine room for a DIY tour. Most interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Scrubber? The gold colored tops of the stacks? Far as I know that is mere ornamentation. In fact, for all I know that boat does not even have a boiler.

I was referring to the horizontal box with what looks like filter around it on top of what I thought was a stack.

Now that I look with sober eyes, it's a part of the bridge pier.  

Oh well, I'm old,so that's an excuse for aberrant behavior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I was referring to the horizontal box with what looks like filter around it on top of what I thought was a stack.

Now that I look with sober eyes, it's a part of the bridge pier.  

Oh well, I'm old,so that's an excuse for aberrant behavior.

I saw that and it does almost look like part of the boat until you take a second look.

• Like 2

• Eric featured this topic