Presguy

What car did you start in, and what are you driving now (or retire from)?

I only spent a few years working the road. Although I loved every minute, better family and $$ opportunities have drawn me out of LE, for the timebeing.

I started during the era of the Vic. And, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I never really liked them. Yes, they rode well, were strudy, had decent ground clearance,  nice visibility,and predictable control. But they were also dang slow, sloppy handling, and lackluster brakes.

My agency transitioned over to Chargers. Looked much better. Much better lighting, creature comforts, and systems integration up front. The power and handling was night and day better. Downfalls? Well, the visibility sucked and they were in the shop constantly.

How about you? What are you pushing, and how do you like it?

Edited by Presguy

Started with a 1969 Plymouth Belvedere with a four channel VHF radio, a PA-15 Interceptor siren and mouse ears on the roof.  Now I drive a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 4WD pickup with all the bells and whistles, of course, I now work for a small Sheriff’s department with more dirt roads than paved.

• Like 1

Started - 1981 Dodge Diplomat p.p with the 318 c.i. V-8 engine, with 4 bbl carb. It had 165 horsepower and 1/4 mile times of ~20 seconds. 

Finished - 2005 Ford Expedition SSV. 5.4 liter V-8 engine, EFI, and even with 4WD, more mass/frontal area, and lots more gear; it was much faster than the Dodge. 

Slowest unit I ever drove was a 1985 Plymouth Reliant [K-car] p.p. with a 4 banger [it had maybe 100 hp, but felt much less powerful]. I couldn't get it above 60 MPH. Thank Wotan that it was a detective vehicle, because it couldn't catch anything with nothing more that a driver and a clipboard.

My time in was a tour not a career, so I didn't see too much change of different cars.  (Other than the particular cars didn't last long since we ran them 24 hrs a day and were lucky to get 2 years out of a single car).

Basically, we had 90% Ford Crown Vics and 10% Chevy Caprices.  What was notable about our fleet was that I hired on just as the boxy '80s cars were aging out and the new '90s rounded body styles were coming on.

In field training, I got stuck driving all variety of stylings, because each trainer had their preferences.  The absolute worst were the new 1991+ Caprices.  Something about the curvature of the hood made it impossible to tell where the front corner of the car was and was like looking out over the horizon of the earth.  Worse still were the brakes.  It didn't matter how hard one stood on the pedal, the cars always seemed to slow at the exact same rate.  That always felt panic inducing during an urgent stop.

The '80s-1991 Crown Vics were fine.  No complaints or praises either way.

For several months when my newer model Ford was transferred to another unit and I had to find a new car, I drove an aging '89 Caprice.  SOOOooo much better than the newer rounded whales!  I enjoyed that car.  Seeing the front of the car and having normal brakes was nice, too.

Most of my time was spent in the 1992+ Fords.  Those were my baseline for comparison and I was comfortable with what they offered and how they drove.  Stylistically, I preferred the '92 model's sloped hood that went down between the headlights to the Ford logo better than the silver grill they put between the lights in '93+.

Ours were basic police package cars.  Riding on some discount $25 tires that maintenance used.

1213235987_Ofc.Harlock.thumb.jpg.18b0d8368f70b7ec697eb207f19c9595.jpg

My first cruiser was a '92 Crown Vic. My first new cruiser was a '01 Crown Vic. My first new detective ride was an '05 Nissan Maxima. My current detective ride is a '14 Toyota Camry Hybrid. 

• Like 1

We all bitched and moaned about the Vic when they were the norm, but damn if I wouldn’t love a 2019 Crown Vic. 

Started with a god only knows what year POS CVPI. Rotator lights, 8mm dash cam, a drivers seat that was hard as a clay brick, and a battery that wouldn’t let you turn it off throughout shift without having to jump it off. 

Ride a bicycle now, but have a marked Explorer with a bike rack. Hate the Explorer. Very cramped, especially riding two man. And any prisoner over 180lbs and you’re gonna hear them bitch and moan the whole to the jail about cramped the back seat and cage are. 

Not my favorite. 

I started in a Crown Vic, and I am in a Charger currently.  Have quite a ways to go still, so it will be interesting to see what I finally finish in.

The CVPI is a classic case of remembering things being better than they actually were for a majority of things in my opinion.  It was slow and had crappy brakes, and was uncomfortable for me because of the offset in the pedals with the seat.  I hated always sitting on the edge of the seat.  What it did do well was take abuse (ol Vicky could take a beating) and cross medians and rough terrain a heck of a lot better than a Charger.  Felt a lot roomier.  Nostalgia makes for good stories, and I had a lot of fun in a Vic.

My AWD Charger gets around better, faster and stops quicker.  But like every Dodge I have had, it started falling apart after six months, and it cries if it looks at a median or curb.

I had to say goodbye to a loaner P71 that I had for a few months this past spring.  Ol' 481 was an utterly amazing 2004 CVPI with only 117,000 on the odometer.  Everything.  And I mean EVERYTHING worked like this car just came off the factory assembly line.  Not a single rattle, or squeak or clunk and it was just as perfect as a CVPI could be.

I never really loved the CVPI for reasons stated above.  Brakes, seats, power, headlights, etc etc.  

But durn that 4.6L 267 CID engine sure sounds great winding up!  And the trunk was a thing of beauty compared to the Chargers I was in.  And the hot air blowing out of the left front wheel well of a P71 on really cold nights was a gift.  Chargers are fun but very unreliable.

My best was the brand new 2015 Tahoe I got with only 12 miles on it when I got the keys.  One hour into my very first shift in it a car thief I pursued and apprehended tried to ram me in that Tahoe and make an escape.  That call to my Chief would have sucked.  I had that Tahoe for two years.

Currently in a 2016 AWD Explorer that I can grow to like pretty well.  Everything works and the A/C is cold.

And because I am pretty up in years I can admit that my very first patrol car was a Plymouth Fury III with the Dodge 440 Interceptor engine in it.  They were freaking tanks and would absolutely FLY.  Scares me now to think how fast I was going without airbags and really ****ty tires that weren't speed rated.

Ol' 481.jpg

• Like 1

I started out in a 1981 Ford. Don’t remember the model, but it was a worn out POS with over 250k on the odometer. Next was a 1988 Dodge Diplomat with a 318. After that was a 1990 Chevrolet Caprice with a 350 that ran like a striped ape. My last car with that department was a 1991 Crown Vic. 

My next department I was issued a brand new 2000 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 V-6 as a take home vehicle. It had 7 miles on the odometer. I wasn’t chasing anyone anymore and it had apparently been governed to 90 MPH. When I hit 91 it started cutting out and I had to back off. I turned it in with 107k on the odometer when I retired in 2007. 

Edited by Fyrtwuck

Spring 1998- junior in HS in a 1980 Volvo DL Sedan. Loved that car. Built like a bank vault and manual trans. Have had a Chevy Tahoe, Ford F-250, Camry and currently in a 2006 Toyota 4Runner. 

• Ford Custom 500,  LTD's, Crown Vics, with an occasional American Ambassador or Dodge Polara, then a 80 Dodge St Regis. Retired from the Al State Troopers in a 93 Crown Vic. First Trooper car I rode in was an AMC Javelin, but was never issued one.  The St Regis was retired with 96k miles and 13 bullet holes in it.

12832307_1089283867770258_315903884775151697_n.jpg

735062_1089284114436900_6291815132605678447_n.jpg

12107807_1097983526900292_3673590971550310243_n.jpg

• Like 2

I applied for the Alabama Troopers in 1986. Didn’t make it obviously. I’m originally from Alabama. Born at Craig Field in Selma. Most of my family is in Walker County. I had the urge to come back home from Oklahoma. 

After all the testing, I had made 97 out of a possible 107 on the tests. The Chief of the AHP stood before all the applicants and gave us a short speech. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are under a Federal mandate. This class will be comprised of a class 100 cadets. 51 black and 49 white. You will be advised at a later date if you are selected. Thank you, dismissed”. 

Never heard another word. 

Edited by Fyrtwuck

First was a 1984 Chevy Caprice.  2 channel VHF radio. No cage. Federal Aerodynic lightbar.

350 carbureted. Mark in service, get to your beat, flip over the air cleaner. That sound cleared the hood of pedestrians in the roadway faster than a siren.  

Most of them developed stress creases, vertically, on the front fenders.  They were good cars. 

Ford LTD’s for awhile. 

Then the 90’s Caprices. One year we had the LT1’s. Those were incredible. 

Then crown Vic’s until I retired. 

Traffic had mustangs for awhile in the early 90’s. Our K9’s drove Jeep Cherokee’s in the 90’s. 

Got my drivers license sophomore year of HS in April 1998 and drove a 1980 Volvo 240DL sedan, manual transmission, loved that car. 

Over the years I’ve had a second Volvo, Chevy Tahoe, F-250 Super Duty, And currently driving a Toyota 4Runner. 

Edited by Valmet

19 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Got my drivers license sophomore year of HS in April 1998 and drove a 1980 Volvo 240DL sedan, manual transmission, loved that car. 

Over the years I’ve had a second Volvo, Chevy Tahoe, F-250 Super Duty, And currently driving a Toyota 4Runner. 

Topic is police cruisers…

Former Florida Highway Patrol Ford Mustang.

They were legendary. 

It was a rocket.

In a straight away it was fast, damn fast, i swear it made the jump the light-speed.

MId 80's Dodge Diplomat, don't remember the exact year, it was a POS.  Currently 2017 Explorer.    :cop:

On 7/24/2018 at 12:48 AM, OldCop71 said:
  • Ford Custom 500,  LTD's, Crown Vics, with an occasional American Ambassador or Dodge Polara, then a 80 Dodge St Regis. Retired from the Al State Troopers in a 93 Crown Vic. First Trooper car I rode in was an AMC Javelin, but was never issued one.  The St Regis was retired with 96k miles and 13 bullet holes in it.

12832307_1089283867770258_315903884775151697_n.jpg

735062_1089284114436900_6291815132605678447_n.jpg

12107807_1097983526900292_3673590971550310243_n.jpg

Tell us about those bullet holes. 

• Like 1

Crown vic, (loved taking those things at 100 mph plus, until the PAIC said out Journeymen couldn't make us competitively race).  I didn't get to have that fun when I became a Senior. Two door Ford Broncos.  Those took a licking and kept on ticking.  Two door Tahoes, because you would be on a path high above the river that was dubious, and you could do micro turns, until you could turn around when there was no more dirt road.  I hated the Ford Expeditions (we called them Soccer Mom vehicles), the lug nuts on the wheels would loosen.  One nameless SPA (not me), didn't check the lug nuts on the Expedition, and a while came off violently into a convenience store.  From what I heard it looked like the discount tire commercial with the woman throwing the tire through the window.  After that we got Dodge Trucks with a cage mounted to the bed,  We called those "Dog catchers" because it looked like something the pound would use.  The transmissions SUCKED.  You had to put it the wrong gear on the display to get them to work.  They would constantly slip out of gear too.  I knew another (nameless guy), not me, who parked a Dog Catcher in front of a gate, put it in park, walked around the back of the vehicle, and it slipped into reverse and ran him over.  The new PAIC had the gall to make him write a disciplinary memo for being ran over by his crappy issued vehicle.

Image result for border patrol crown victoria

I did a lot of highway stops, and responded for calls for backup in these vehicles.

• Like 1