Those with enterprise networks at home

Gun Shark

For those who have enterprise networks at home, are you going to take your networking infrastructure like your routers, switches, and ceiling or wall mounted AP's to a new home when moving... or are you going to sell it with the house and get the latest and greatest in your new home.

Edited by Gun Shark

I'll take the equipment but leave the wiring and some cheap $50 switches behind. No way in hell will I remove any of those cables, not even the ones for the cams. Crawling around in the attic for hours in some 110 F heat and 85% humidity, with nails being exposed EVERYWHERE and nasty blow-in insulation was pure horror. Still have a huge scare from one of those countless nails in the frame work.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, my home enterprise network was comprised of one extra phone line which came into the house and only contained a DSL signal, but no phone.

All the other wring in the house is used by whatever router I happen to have hooked up to the network this year.  And, yes, the ethernet backbone that I have run from one end of the house to the other with outlets in four rooms stays with the house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minervadoe said:

As far as I'm concerned, my home enterprise network was comprised of one extra phone line which came into the house and only contained a DSL signal, but no phone.

All the other wring in the house is used by whatever router I happen to have hooked up to the network this year.  And, yes, the ethernet backbone that I have run from one end of the house to the other with outlets in four rooms stays with the house.

How often do you change routers?

Edited by Gun Shark

3 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

How often do you change routers?

Every year or so, when the new customer discount from my Internet provider expires, I switch to another vendor.  It is generally simpler to switch from cable to DSL and back again (as opposed to hoping that AT&T will cleanly and conveniently switch me to another DSL vendor who is subcontracting their lines).

19 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

For those who have enterprise networks at home, are you going to take your networking infrastructure like your routers, switches, and ceiling or wall mounted AP's to a new home when moving... or are you going to sell it with the house and get the latest and greatest in your new home.

If I ever move, I will take the equipment with me and put in a linysys, nether, or other switch in place of the core I am using now so the endpoint ports are live. The rest will be up to the buyer.