Network Extender Help?

Rangerhgm

I got one of those network extender things and while it did extend the signal, it was real slow.

I ended up running cables to my game systems and ran a cable to the other side of the house and used an old router as an access point.  It was faster than the extender.

If you can't run new ethernet (or don't want to) I can give a solid thumbs up to the Linksys Orbi wireless mesh system. The downside is that you will probably be better off using the Orbi to replace your existing wireless AP.

The nice part about the Orbi is that it uses dedicated uplink radios on the satellites and the primary router, so you're not halving your bandwidth like most traditional extenders do. It's also fairly easy to set up.

There are several different packages to suit your budget, but you can always add additional mesh satellites when you need to extend the system. I also like that the Orbi system has outdoor rated satellites if you want to extend to your pool/detached garage/whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a NETGEAR EX3700 with a wired connection and different SSIDs than those of the main router.  I know I didn't have to set it up that way, but wanted to know which system I was connected to.  Just join both SSIDs and let the wireless device decide which one to use.

I got one of those network extender things and while it did extend the signal, it was real slow.
I ended up running cables to my game systems and ran a cable to the other side of the house and used an old router as an access point.  It was faster than the extender.

The way to go if you can. I think Asus has a new thing called AI Mesh. You can create a mesh system with their routers.

I have many Ethernet Cameras.  I found the most reliable for me was to string one Ethernet cable to the garage then connect a dumb switch, and plug all cameras into it.  Works flawlessly.  Wireless connections seem to run into strange faults occasionally (RF is a technology I'm quite familiar with) and I wouldn't know until I accessed the network from the "outside" (Internet).  I tried ethernet over the power lines, wireless by dedicated transmitters and receivers up to the few Watts level/ VHF and UHF, and wireless to the router.  The most reliable long term for me is the hard wired Ethernet cable with dumb switches.

• Like 1