Where do you shoot?

Rabbi

I used to live on a 12 acre piece that had a nice 50 ft. range cut into the side of a hill. We also had a very cooperative neighbor who would let us shoot across his land into some very dense woods that were well marked as a shooting range. Life was good. Then We sold that place and hit the road for six years (in a large motorhome), did some occasional target practice at public ranges along the way, or in Washington State where our oldest son and his family have a place to shoot at their home. 

Now we have come off the road (sadly) but I have joined a local Rifle and Pistol Club that has a really great facility. We have outdoor ranges, some with moveable target stands, some with distances of 480 yards, some set up with steel plates, and a trap range with two trap houses and voice control of the machines. The indoor range renovation should be completed in time for the winter pistol leagues and sporter  rifle teams to use it.   We have hosted some people from the Netherlands who wanted to have the experience of shooting some guns. They had a blast! Some of our members showed up with a variety of guns including a 1943 vintage Sturmgewher (spelling?) full auto. So they got to fire a machinegun as well!

Check out our website at  www.nmrpc.org    Maybe if some of y'all are travelling in or through North East Pennsylvania, you might like to stop in for an afternoon of socializing and shooting.  Give us a shout. 

My dad is big into various old fart rifle matches and has targets at his property up to 300yds away with an indoor shooting bench and spotting scope...

100_1117.thumb.JPG.ecb0bbcda5746a30fe29e3534accdbe5.JPG

Or the family cabin which has just a 25yd pistol setup...

100_1080.thumb.JPG.9464510943510eb63ddfe1adcd860f54.JPG

• Like 3

Deer Creek Conservation Club in Grant County Indiana.  Been a member for about 20 years.  It has 10 individual pistol shooting bays, a 200 yard rifle range, archery range and a trap range.  The range was organized by some local Dr's who wanted a place to shoot back in the 1960's.  I shot there yesterday, hit it about once/twice a week/year around. 

001.JPG

Edited by norton
  • Like 1

Indoors at home for 50 feet and in my backyard for up to 200 yards. For out to 1,000 yards my neighbor has a long line next to me he let's me use ( in the bottom picture - my house is at the top left ).

For competitions, there are four private ranges within an hours drive.

range2.jpg.19d8370b97f0a7dc7679c386063b99de.jpg

3210_1.png.3e474aa8fcc53ec2608d24cb5456ad76.png

1000yd_1.png.391daeb8dd313af77385f21fa9b9ac1d.png

Edited by willie-pete

My employer has a nice range facility. I shoot there most often. It’s nice to have a private place to shoot. 

When the westher isnt cooperating, there is a nice indoor range and gun shop about an hour away. On a weekday you will have it to yourself most of the time. I make a half day at it and grab lunch at a really good BBQ spot on the way home. 

I avoid the local public range range at all costs. It’s garbage and known for unsafe shooters. Even been a few accidents over the years. 

Edited by Collim1

I live in the mountains. There's an abandoned geo-thermal well site where locals go to shoot. Was just a mile or so from where I used to live. Now I'm about 7 miles down the road. Unfortunately, it's on forest service land and the forest is currently closed to any sort of activity due to drought conditions.

Edited by Glock1911

Indoor public that I have a membership to for handgun. Indoor archery that is close. I combine those shooting days. Two outdoor private member ranges. One for handgun with individual berms. The other with up to 500yds for rifle.

Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club.  Eatonville Wa.  Private range.     

We have 600/550 yard ranges, 200 yard range, 100 yard member only range no guests, 50 yard range, WORLD class sporting clays range. Two trap houses, skeet range, 5 stand range, archery range,  and two 25 yard steel target bays.  

Even though it's a member range I still run into some knuckle headed mouth breathers on occasion.   Overall my experiences have always been positive.     

Rules are fair.  No restrictions on rapid fire so you can practice double taps without getting in trouble.   No round or magazine limits.   You can practice drawing from a holster on appropriate ranges.  

I do a lot of range repairs and welding for the range so my family hasn't paid for a membership in a few years.  I would still pay if needed by all means. 

UNSC.jpg

• Like 1