Houston PD adopts optics on sidearms

mlk18

My department has two people carrying red dots on their sidearms with the possibility of making it an approved option down the road. This will definitely make it easier to sell the idea to the powers that be. Anyone else work for an agency that approves handgun optics?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/05/houston-red-dot-sights/

Houston PD: Pistol Red Dot Sights Approved For Duty Use

To all classified personnel:

The department has approved the use of Red Dot Sights (RDS) for pistols. In order for an officer to carry the RDS on their primary weapon they must meet the following requirements:

Red Dot System must be one of the following :

Complete an 8 hour training course and qualify with their weapon using the RDS prior to carrying the weapon. 

Classes will commence in September 2018.   

Shooting medals will NOT be awarded for RDS weapons.

All RDS systems and holster will be purchased by the individual officer.  Reimbursement requests will not be authorized. 

• Thanks 1

I agree, but I think we need to really test things out first. I can't find it now, but someone or some group did a study/test on handgun optics and reliability for military use. They found that very few optics (sans the RMR and Delta Point Pro) could actually handle the rigors of moderate to heavy service. They also said only very specific brand name batteries were found to be reliable. The HPD list allowed optics that are fairly well known for not being rugged, that kind of surprised me. Having spent years as a firearms instructor and armorer for my department, and seeing the crap condition some officers keep their guns and gear in, I am not so sure they could handle having an optic that would require regular cleaning, maintenance, inspections, etc. But others of course would have no issue.

11 minutes ago, mlk18 said:

I agree, but I think we need to really test things out first. I can't find it now, but someone or some group did a study/test on handgun optics and reliability for military use. They found that very few optics (sans the RMR and Delta Point Pro) could actually handle the rigors of moderate to heavy service. They also said only very specific brand name batteries were found to be reliable. The HPD list allowed optics that are fairly well known for not being rugged, that kind of surprised me. Having spent years as a firearms instructor and armorer for my department, and seeing the crap condition some officers keep their guns and gear in, I am not so sure they could handle having an optic that would require regular cleaning, maintenance, inspections, etc. But others of course would have no issue.

I may be too damn old and set in my ways but I don't like the idea of anything on a carry gun that can't handle a good smack with a hammer.  Maybe I expect too much from an EDC.

I can't do handgun optics thanks to my astigmatism and my retirement date being only a handful of years away. However I have seen some officers run through our department's combat course with standard night sights and again with the same gun running an RMR. There is no question they were faster and more accurate with the optic than without. And in a world where we are encountering more and more hostility, any advantage I can put in their hands is a good thing. And on a related note, I remember some of the old guard (before I was one of the old guard) complaining when we put optics on our  patrol rifles too. They wanted to stick with the tried and true A2 iron sights. But as soon as we did qualification scores went up, times went down.

But you're right that we need a more rugged handgun optic. The RMR is actually quite strong but better stuff has got to be in the pipeline. Aimpoint has a new handgun optic out but I don't believe it has hit the streets yet. It seems that most optic makers are too busy trying to make them cheaper rather than stronger.

I’ll pass. I just dont think I’d want one on my duty pistol. Not only is it one more thing to go wrong, but it requires a lot of practice and consistency to be able to draw and acquire the dot. Start throwing in movement and awkward angles or firing posotitions and you can forget it. 

I like the idea.

I recall a time not so many years ago when the brass covered idiots at my agency refused to allow weapon mounted lights and refused to allow anything but iron sights on patrol rifles. Good thing that these reprobates were forced out of office shortly thereafter.

I have no experience with them.  And I think I'm too old for that newfangled stuff.  To me, the Big Dot is advanced technology!  But only last week I was talking with a LEO who recently attended SigAcademy's class on electronic optics and who became a believer.   Based on what he said, and how fast I've seen technology advance, I can see electronic optics as part of the EDC future.      

Edited by PATCHMAN

There are so many things working against that where I am, including the fact the issued gun comes with the issued 6280 holster, and I don't know if they make a 6280 for guns with a RDS.  It was hard to even get lights approved at first.  

That said, its really cool that they are allowing them. I have never shot a gun with one, but if its anything like the improvement a RDS makes on a rifle, it could be awesome.

• 1 month later...

I shoot Steel Challenge and GSSF with quite a few LEOs.  I honestly believe if most would just get out and train with their weapons more than once per year to re-qualify, they might be more proficient.  We just had a LEO fire 6 shots at a fleeing car that had backed into his patrol car none hit the suspect.  Where did those 6 rounds end up??