Scratched my new $200 pistol...

PNWguy

Bought a new Taurus G2c for $200 bucks a few weeks ago and have really been impressed with the little thing.  Ergonomics are incredible and it is the most naturally pointing pistol I have owned.  Don't like the trigger, though, and have been working on that.

Anyway, I took it down to the cabin on the 4th and was doing some shooting after I replaced the plastic striker guide with a stainless steel one to see how it feels.  I stuck the G2c in my pocket and was walking to the target when it fell out of my pocket and onto the gravel.  Pistol was empty and is only 20oz.  Picked it up and wiped it off and was surprised to see such deep scratches down to bare metal.  I have dropped a pistol once or twice over the years onto gravel and have never done such damage.

One of the complaints of the G2c is the weak slide finish.  Indeed.

Now I can't decide if it bothers me enough to address it, or just buy another one with a stainless slide... :D

IMG_20180706_101214612.jpg

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of scratching my brand new black boots. At least there's polish and buffing for this.

If you decide to do something to coat or recoat only the scratches please let us know if something works well. In case it happens to me too.

That Sharpie works on everything! Lol

3 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Bought a new Taurus G2c for $200 bucks a few weeks ago and have really been impressed with the little thing.  Ergonomics are incredible and it is the most naturally pointing pistol I have owned.  Don't like the trigger, though, and have been working on that.

Anyway, I took it down to the cabin on the 4th and was doing some shooting after I replaced the plastic striker guide with a stainless steel one to see how it feels.  I stuck the G2c in my pocket and was walking to the target when it fell out of my pocket and onto the gravel.  Pistol was empty and is only 20oz.  Picked it up and wiped it off and was surprised to see such deep scratches down to bare metal.  I have dropped a pistol once or twice over the years onto gravel and have never done such damage.

One of the complaints of the G2c is the weak slide finish.  Indeed.

Now I can't decide if it bothers me enough to address it, or just buy another one with a stainless slide... :D

Only problem with that is after you've spent another $200 you could have bought a G26 which is a better gun with a better trigger and is more concealable with a flush mag and has greater capacity with a factory 15 round mag and an X-grip. Buy once, Cry once.

Taurus G2c
Weight: 22.0 ounces  
Length: 6.3 in.
Height:  5.1 in.
Width: 1.18 in.
barrel length 3.2

G26
Weight: 21.7 ounces  
Length: 6.41 in.
Height:  4.17 in.
barrel length 3.42
Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Only problem with that is after you've spent another $200 you could have bought a G26 which is a better gun with a better trigger and is more concealable with a flush mag and has greater capacity with a factory 15 round mag and an X-grip. Buy once, Cry once.

Taurus G2c
Weight: 22.0 ounces  
Length: 6.3 in.
Height:  5.1 in.
barrel length 3.2

G26
Weight: 21.7 ounces  
Length: 6.41 in.
Height:  4.17 in.
barrel length 3.42

Where are you getting brand new G26 Glocks for $400?

I buy most of my guns from Buds and they have the G26 at $300 more than the G2c...

budsg26.JPG.72a58f1d0b4571ffa1bed47220ee7a86.JPG

Besides, you're totally missing the point.  Of course the G26 is a better pistol.  It should be for 150% of the cost of the Taurus.  

I bought the Taurus as a novelty.  I wanted to see just how bad a $200 pistol is.  It is the cheapest pistol I have ever bought but it really is not that bad considering the price and it is better than many Rugers and Smith and Wessons I've shot. 

Edited by PNWguy
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, I Am Groot! said:

PNWguy, I still have the price tag and original box for my G27. I paid $399 for it... in 1996.

Borg warner, I'm kidding around. I don't mean to disrespect anyone here..

I was half way kidding around, too, and don't mean to disrespect anyone either. Also I wasn't necessarily thinking of a brand new gun, and I've seen G26's for sale for $400 used and Glocks don't wear out so a used one is not a bad way to go unless someone has messed with the trigger. I think police turn-ins are probably your best bet. I own 2 Glocks, a Gen 3 G23 police turn-in I bought from Aim surplus and a G20SF that I bought new.

I used to be a 1911 and a revolver guy and swore I'd never own a plastic gun, but now the G23 and a S&W J frame are my carry guns but I may want to go to a Glock 43, a Kahr PM9 or maybe even a Sig P365 to replace the revolver if they ever fix the problems that they're having with the Sigs. Both the G26 and the Taurus G2c are too chunky for comfortable 24-7-365 carry in my opinion but the Glock is a much better gun for serious social purposes. (also just my opinion) But if I'm going to carry a gun that bulky I'll carry my Glock 23.

Ok.. I admit when I was young bought a Colt Combat Commander.  First thing I did was put the idiot scratch in it.  Still carry it today.  Favorite pistol of mine so the scratch does not bother me.

Dave.

• Like 1

The reason the G2C is $200 is so you can afford to buy two of them. That way you still have something to defend yourself with when the other one is in for warranty work. I wish I was joking but I'm not. When you can buy a rugged and reliable police trade in gun for under $300 there is no reason to take your chances with a low quality handgun. Just my two coppers, worth what you paid for it.

You dropped a budget gun, scratched the inferior finish and wonder if you should buy another one because the cosmetic appeal is bothersome.  Since you also have a proclivity for dropping guns the next one should have a lanyard. 9_9

TT%20pistol%20lanyard.jpg

Edited by willieH

On 7/8/2018 at 8:41 AM, Will Rudy said:

consider them character marks. If it still shoots good, I wouldn't worry about a couple of nicks.

Just like scars and tattoes, scratches on my guns give them characters.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, DrB said:

Ok.. I admit when I was young bought a Colt Combat Commander.  First thing I did was put the idiot scratch in it.  Still carry it today.  Favorite pistol of mine so the scratch does not bother me.

Dave.

Dave:

Hmmmm, I have a 70 Series Colt LW Commander in .45acp with the same scratch.  Funny how that happens, although not too funny at the time- late 1970's.

-steve

Edited by sas-PM9

4 hours ago, sas-PM9 said:

Dave:

Hmmmm, I have a 70 Series Colt LW Commander in .45acp with the same scratch.  Funny how that happens, although not too funny at the time- late 1970's.

-steve

Mine mid 70's.  We have twins...  Mine particular on ammo.  Does not like some HP rounds.  How does yours do?

Dave..

15 hours ago, DrB said:

Mine mid 70's.  We have twins...  Mine particular on ammo.  Does not like some HP rounds.  How does yours do?

Dave..

Dave:

I haven't found anything it would not digest, even the period speer flying ashtray.

-steve

1 hour ago, Paper Tiger said:

Is it a weapon or an accessory to your outfit?  Once you get a few more dings, scratches, scorch marks, holster marks and lose about 20% of the finish... it might actually look legit.   

You must be an operator...

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

You must be an operator...

I am simply a guy who does not treat a firearm like some sort of bauble.  Pristine examples of firearms that people claim to carry are a pretty good indication (to me) that the owner either doesn't train or trains very little.  If a person runs their gun in any sort of realistic manner, its going to show.  All I am saying is " don't worry about it", its a tool that likely gains nothing tangible from looking pretty. 

9 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

I am simply a guy who does not treat a firearm like some sort of bauble.  Pristine examples of firearms that people claim to carry are a pretty good indication (to me) that the owner either doesn't train or trains very little.  If a person runs their gun in any sort of realistic manner, its going to show.  All I am saying is " don't worry about it", its a tool that likely gains nothing tangible from looking pretty. 

I don't think you realized that the entire post was in jest, but I guess that's fine...

Edited by PNWguy
  • Thanks 1