Apple iPhone Upgrade Program

Gun Shark

We in the Gun Shark family hate not being on Apple Care, so we will likely upgrade in the Fall. When it comes to ordering on release day, how does the Apple iPhone upgrade program work?  I know I can ask Apple, but I want to hear real world examples.

Are not phone upgrades programs done through the carrier. 

I don't know for sure, because I just stick with the same phone until it drops dead, but I do not think Apple has anything to do with the upgrades.

BTW, I agree that Apple Care is essential!

It’s really simple. You choose your phone and submit to a credit check. Once passed, you tie the account to a credit card to process the monthly payments. After 12 payments you can upgrade to the new model in the same manner for free. You turn in your current phone when you upgrade. You can also upgrade early if you pay off the 12 initial payments or opt to keep it and own it after 24. My wife and I are both on it. 

13 minutes ago, TxLonghorn said:

It’s really simple. You choose your phone and submit to a credit check. Once passed, you tie the account to a credit card to process the monthly payments. After 12 payments you can upgrade to the new model in the same manner for free. You turn in your current phone when you upgrade. You can also upgrade early if you pay off the 12 initial payments or opt to keep it and own it after 24. My wife and I are both on it. 

Does it make sense to wait until morning to sign up, or is it fast enough that I can order them at 3am on release day?

12 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

Does it make sense to wait until morning to sign up, or is it fast enough that I can order them at 3am on release day?

If you are wanting the newest model on the day they come out you will have better luck pre-ordering it the moment they are available online. They go fast so that’s what I do. Otherwise, you may need to wait weeks for delivery or pickup.

Not counting the carrier expenses.

1.) I bought a new, unlocked iPhone X with 256 GB for $1,149.00. In average my phones last 4 years.

2.) The same class / iPhone X costs in the upgrade program $56.16 each month. Multiplied by 48 = $2.695.68.

That's an additional $1,546.68 just for upgrading to a phone that will run the exact same iOS and apps. By the time I buy a new phone I will get some $200 back on eBay.

With the yearly upgrades, at best you will get a slightly better cam, a bit faster processing power and yet another spy feature that will probably scan your iris and blood pressure levels, going straight to the NSA. scnr

If iPhones would come with serious updates each time, I'd get it, but that's not really the case.

Am I missing something? Whats the appeal?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crockett said:

1.) I bought a new, unlocked iPhone X with 256 GB for $1,149.00. In average my phones last 4 years.

2.) The same class / iPhone X costs in the upgrade program $56.16 each month. Multiplied by 48 = $2.695.68.

That's an additional $1,546.68 just for upgrading to a phone that will run the exact same iOS and apps. By the time I buy a new phone I will get some $200 back on eBay.

With the yearly upgrades, at best you will get a slightly better cam, a bit faster processing power and yet another spy feature that will probably scan your iris and blood pressure levels, going straight to the NSA. scnr

If iPhones would come with serious updates each time, I'd get it, but that's not really the case.

No, you aren’t missing something. I like my tech toys and as I’ve gotten older I’ve relaxed on my desire to have the latest and greatest in most things but I do really like to have the latest available phones. For me the equation is a bit different:

1) I was buying and selling phones yearly and calculated that I was spending around $400 - $500 per year in doing so. 

2) Through the Apple iPhone upgrade plan I receive AppleCare at no additional cost, don’t have to spend over $1,000 upfront, and make the payments at 0% interest. 

3) If I elect to keep the phone until it’s paid for in 24 months I can sell it and recoup some of the cost. This is what I will do with my wife’s 7 Plus this fall. This means that for the last two years my cost was approximately $500 which is equal to your cost but I received free AppleCare which we did use to replace her screen. 

4) Lastly, I just like having the new phone. The upgrade program makes it extremely easy to upgrade as I don’t have to worry so much about the condition of my phone and going through the hassle of selling it when I want to upgrade. As long as it functions and the screen isn’t cracked I just turn it in.

I know me and I know that if I didn’t use the upgrade program I would still sell my current phone to buy the new one. For example, I originally didn’t upgrade to the X but after a couple of months I caved and upgraded. So until I change my taste in technology or can no longer afford the newest phones it makes sense for me. 

7 hours ago, crockett said:

I did the math in my head @ the Apple Store and reached the same conclusion. My IPhone 6 is 4.5 years old and when I get an 8 or X it had better last for the high price. A good friend is on the upgrade program. He knows math and it is worth it to him.