Camp cooking ideas? (especially for a crowd of 8-15)

jame

I do a little dutch oven stuff, and I'm open to recipes on that front, as well as any other thoughts.  We started camping with the kids, and that was going to be about 6 to 8 adults at any given time, but to our surprise, many of their friends ended up at the camp grounds as well!

Ideas for a crowd are welcome!

Toasted rice and onion with oil in dutch oven, then add tomato and spices* and chicken and chicken stock, and braise to make mexican rice and chicken.  Finish with shredded cheese and sour cream and pico de gallo.

Other than the chicken very little needs refrigeration on the front end.

Edited by nitesite
  • Like 1

Baked potatoes are an easy one. And very satisfying. Clean them and wrap them in foil with a dash of olive oil at home. They are ready to go in the coals of the fire an hour before dinner time. 

Edited by Collim1

dutch oven jambalaya feeds a lot of people-make most of it at home then heat it up.

chickpea hash for the morning.

anything with chicken in a dutch oven is good.

beef stroganoff.

make sauces and pasta at home,pack it then heat it.

its been a long time since we had to cook for that many on a fire,we bring a Coleman 2 burner stove just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

My "Daddy Casserole." Filling, delicious, fast, easy, cheap, and only one pan needed. Serves 2 hungry men or 4 kids. Multiply recipe as needed.

0.5 stick of butter

1 polish sausage (1 lb.)

1 onion

3 stalks celery

Some water

1 box of mac and cheese (with the "deluxe," gooey cheese, not the powder)

Extra cheese is optional.

Seasoning. (I like Lowry's salt and hot sauce)

Heat the pan.

Add the butter.

Cut up and add the sausage. Sautee the slices.

Dice and add the celery and onions. Sautee them.

Add water for the macaroni. I don't know exactly how much. The goal is to cook the mac without having water left over at the end, but you can always boil it off or add more, later.

Add the macaroni. Cover. Let cook until mac is done, about 11 minutes.

Add the cheese and optional extra cheese. Stir.

Season.

Enjoy!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

True chilli con carne, for 3-4 adults:

• 1.5 lb ground beef
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans "Ranch Style" BBQ beans (no other brand)
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 glass of roasted red peppers (sliced, drained)
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cups of sour cream
  • 2 TB (tablespoon) paprika powder
  • 2 TB chilli powder
  • 1 TB Tabasco
  • a lot of salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 cup of ketchup
  • 4 TB olive oil

Sear the meat, paprika and chilli powder in the olive oil on high heat in a large pot (don't cook the juices out of the meat by crowding a small pot), add in the following order: onions, tomatoes, cook and simmer for 30 minutes, add corn, peppers, beans, simmer for 15 minutes, take of the heat and add (a lot of) salt, black pepper, ketchup and sour cream. Stir. Don't cook again, only keep warm, and serve with plenty of baguette bread.

Edited by crockett

13 minutes ago, Oneshotonepill said:

A couple cases of MREs. 

You wont have to pack any toilet paper. ?

How about some 63 year old MRE? You probably know this channel. If not, be aware... very addictive. He even ate a civil war cracker.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch Oven is great to cook with, but a few years ago I got a Can Cooker - a fairly old concept originally using old fashion milk cans.  Look them up on the internet. Easy to use and a huge bunch of easy recipes.

They can be used on a campfire grate or propane. You can cook small or large meals in a very short time because they create steam to cook the food quickly and can cook almost anything. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Citra47 said:

Dutch Oven is great to cook with, but a few years ago I got a Can Cooker - a fairly old concept originally using old fashion milk cans.  Look them up on the internet. Easy to use and a huge bunch of easy recipes.

They can be used on a campfire grate or propane. You can cook small or large meals in a very short time because they create steam to cook the food quickly and can cook almost anything. 

OK, I'm always up to a challenge, so I ordered one.

What do you suggest for the first meal?

25 minutes ago, jame said:

OK, I'm always up to a challenge, so I ordered one.

What do you suggest for the first meal?

Hard for me to suggest something to cook without knowing your food likes/dislikes. Can Cooker is a natural for what we call a Low Country Boil - sausage, sea food, corn on the cob, potato & onions with your favorite seasonings. You should get a small recipe folder with the unit. I recommend the large recipe book they sell also and sign up to get new recipes as they come out by email. A lot of people send in recipes they really like and they get passed on to you. Look on YouTube for Can Cooker recipes and you will get a bunch. Beer Butt Chicken works very well, Ribs - almost anything you like. Just remember to have enough liquid and I spray the inside with Pam when I do things that might stick. I have never purchased the seasonings they sell, preferring to use my own. 

You will learn pretty quickly about how long things take to cook. If you normally use a Dutch Oven you will find this extremely fast. You can do breakfast, lunch, dinner and many deserts also. I find cooking for several people really easy but trying to cook for one or two ends up with a lot of left overs. I see they now sell a smaller unit called Can Cooker Jr. for doing less food.

I hope you enjoy the Can Cooker. My wife thought I was nuts when I bought it a few years back but it gets used quite a bit.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 11:37 PM, Citra47 said:

Hard for me to suggest something to cook without knowing your food likes/dislikes. Can Cooker is a natural for what we call a Low Country Boil - sausage, sea food, corn on the cob, potato & onions with your favorite seasonings. You should get a small recipe folder with the unit. I recommend the large recipe book they sell also and sign up to get new recipes as they come out by email. A lot of people send in recipes they really like and they get passed on to you. Look on YouTube for Can Cooker recipes and you will get a bunch. Beer Butt Chicken works very well, Ribs - almost anything you like. Just remember to have enough liquid and I spray the inside with Pam when I do things that might stick. I have never purchased the seasonings they sell, preferring to use my own. 

You will learn pretty quickly about how long things take to cook. If you normally use a Dutch Oven you will find this extremely fast. You can do breakfast, lunch, dinner and many deserts also. I find cooking for several people really easy but trying to cook for one or two ends up with a lot of left overs. I see they now sell a smaller unit called Can Cooker Jr. for doing less food.

I hope you enjoy the Can Cooker. My wife thought I was nuts when I bought it a few years back but it gets used quite a bit.

I picked up the Can Cooker Jr before the last trip, and tried this recipe of yours, with the Low Country Boil, and holy smokes did this go over big!

Thanks for the tip, Citra!  I'll be on the lookout for other recipes to try.

For those in the cheap seats, this thing isn't limited to outdoor use.  You can use it on your stove as well, and it works like a dream!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...