Best budget no-frills AR15?

Gunboat1

I suggest building your own. Anderson lower and upper as well as parts kit, Faxon BCG and pencil barrel, Striker charging handle, Rise Amendment trigger, Taccom spring and buffer, 5B grip, KMR keymod guard, along those lines.

Won't happen for $500, but at least it would be quality and offer tight groups.

I went for the Ruger AR556.  I am very happy with it.  Nothing fancy about it, it just works perfectly and I have not had any problems of any kind with it.  If anything goes bad on it I know that Ruger can and will fix it. 

My best budget no frills AR is a Century rebuilt from a surplus M-16.  It has a Century lower and a Shaw barrel.  All other parts are from the Colt M-16, with the full auto parts modified to semi-auto.  I bought it about 10 years ago during the obama panic.  Surprising, it shoots great!

century15.jpg

S&W M&P15 Sport or Sport II has the best build quality of any entry level AR-15 I have ever seen. The Ruger AR556 comes in a slightly distant 2nd place. Of course with both of those options you get a fully assembled America made product with a lifetime warranty. Which factors into the price very favorably.

I would personally avoid guns or parts made by Anderson, Radical Arms, Bear Creek, and other low cost options. I am not calling them junk, but I have seen a lot more out of spec or metallurgy issues with them than I do with more popular brand names.

• Administrators

The M&P 15 is a solid weapon and it would serve you well. I am a big fan of Bushmaster as well. I have had a couple of basic Bushy AR-15s and loved them. My Ar-10 is a Bushmaster as well. 

I bought my sister one of the first M&P Sports. It has the 1:8 barrel which is very versatile. 

As long as it lubed adequately it runs forever. It has had very few cleanings and keeps on chugging. 

It would be hard not to recommend one if you’re looking for a budget AR. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2018 at 8:37 PM, Ghost RiderXB9R said:

Palmetto State Armory has some good deals. I built a pistol using their complete upper. A friend built his first AR using one of their kits. They are both reliable and accurate. 

This model has Magpul furniture and an Mbus rear sight for $500 bucks.

psa.jpg.1cc2e92de35fbf12f104860f6c49af30.jpg

I own two Colt LE6920s, but would really like to build a few to stash away for the kids.  I've always been overwhelmed by the numerous options at Palmetto State Armory, especially uppers. 

Is there a consensus on which uppers are best?  I'd like to be able to buy PSA components that would rival the M&P Sport II, the Ruger556, etc., but hopefully shave off a few dollars.  I know, I know, the M&P and Ruger can already be had for $500-$600.  But, I'd like to buy the components here and there as sales and funds allow.  If I can shave off $100 or so from the name brand, that's a $400 savings over 4 rifles . . . .

Thoughts? 

On 7/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, Eric said:

The Sig556 isn’t a horribly expensive rifle and it is beautifully built. I’ve put a lot of rounds down range with one and loved it. 

D771554A-9170-49DC-A5D6-278EAB0DD6E6.jpeg.62f9657c0d262b035ec3c2a89dfbd417.jpeg

Dem ain't cheap. I have the 522 version and would love to get my hands on one at reasonable price. Seem to be a bit rare too, but I have not looked in a while.

• Like 1

I have had really good luck with PSA and have owned several of them. I built this one a few years ago. I asked for blem parts. I don't worry about scratches and marks. It is a tool. This thing will ring steel all day at 75-100 yards with open sites. It functions 100%. I came in at under $350 for the gun, paint, and beer. I could probably build it cheaper now.

AR.png

• Like 1

I like to build my own so I get what I want.  I usually start with matched Aero Precision lower/upper.  I choose the internals and furniture depending on what I will use the gun for.  I have an inexpensive rifle I built for about 400 bucks for home defense and grab-it-quick varmit control.  At the other end, I have a long range target gun I have over 2K in

Rifles copy.jpg

Edited by windowasher
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 8:24 PM, Eric said:

The Sig556 isn’t a horribly expensive rifle and it is beautifully built. I’ve put a lot of rounds down range with one and loved it. 

D771554A-9170-49DC-A5D6-278EAB0DD6E6.jpeg.62f9657c0d262b035ec3c2a89dfbd417.jpeg

Oh but the trigger is so BAD!

like a cheap DA revolver. 

Other than that, I love the look, sights, and find the charging handle easier to use than an AR15.  A shooting partner had had one for quite a few years. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

S&W M&P 15 sport II was a good choice. I got one a few weeks ago. I have 2 other higher end ones in .223 Wylde and .300 AAC. I wanted a basic one with iron sights. That is the best choice for the money. I paid the same as you. They also had the Ruger for the same price. At first I thought Ruger. But I looked at them side by side and I think the S&W is better made. And the front sights are different and I like the S&W better. And the MBUS rear sight is real nice for an inexpensive rifle. Now I just need to resist the temptation to upgrade it. It will be fine the way it is. I may add a cowitness optic that can just be popped off or looked through if it fails. I wanted iron sights for home defense as they won't fail. I did order a dust cover for it that has the caliber on it. We have .300 AAC in the safe as well. I just want them all clearly labeled for caliber. Just because if I forget and make a mistake it could be bad. But that was easy to install. But I go through phases. I may shoot my AKs or SKSs for a while. I also go through more standard rifle phases or rimfire. Then just hand guns all winter in indoor ranges. Although I was also thinking I would be willing to take this one outdoors in the rain. When I go back to the ARs I would hate to remember wrong which is which. The labeled door is cheap insurance.

• 1 year later...

I'm in the same market.  So far I've seen the M&P for around $550, Del Ton for $450 (dealer said he could do $400) and a DPMS with Optic (can't remember the brand) for $650.

PSA has some good deals and is building quite the reputation.  If I build one (which I am considering) I'll probably use a good bit of their parts.