Disney Thread

Gun Shark

I am a Disney fanatic with an annual pass and love all things Disney. This thread is for people who are like minded, or want to come and learn from people who go all the time... from places to stay and to rides/attractions to go on.. to food and best times to go.. or various other tips and tricks... I am hoping that this might make sticky status.

I'll kick it off with food:

Must haves: 

Dolewhip at Magic Kingdom

Turkey Leg and funnel cake at American Pavilion Epcot

Margarita's in Mexico... My personal favorite is Blood Orange- Epcot

Dinner Buffet at Boma 

Food to Avoid:

So far only one... The BBQ place at American Pavilion. I've had way better bbq for less.

Please no political bullshit about how antigun the company is and how you don't patronize them because of that. 

Edited by Gun Shark

Few things in life live up to the sheer joy on the faces of kids upon walking into Disney World (and I’d assume Disney Land, in CA) for the first time. 

I’ve always had lots of fun there (except paying for stuff- get out your wallet). 

We've always had luck in October. 

Edited by Valmet

7 minutes ago, JMag said:

You won’t get lost because you will be sporting their fancy tracker bracelets. I’ll reserve my other comments, per request. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those bracelets are really very cool. Not having to carry your wallet around, or a room key is a massive advantage. I personally don't care if they track me throughout the parks, or even back to my house if they actually do that... they have my address anyway. 

I thank you for reserving your other comments. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Save up, use a tax check, bonus, whatever and get a vacation package with deluxe dining.

you never have to worry about anything and we have never been able to eat everything that was free.

My father and I were thinking of doing their premium one, but have yet to crunch the numbers to see if its cost effective(quite honestly because we forgot). We are however trying to get a group together to do their VIP private tour for up to 10 people. It's just so expensive.

8 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Few things in life live up to the sheer joy on the faces of kids upon walking into Disney World (and I’d assume Disney Land, in CA) for the first time. 

I’ve always had lots of fun there (except paying for stuff- get out your wallet). 

We've always had luck in October. 

I love the atmosphere there. If I lived closer, I would have to try and work there in the park, so I could see all the faces of happy people. Check it out the first week of May as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CincyRed said:

Going to Epcot tonight for the 4th of July fireworks show. They do the regular illuminations show then do a red, white and blue show. It is awesome and the finale seems like it is going through your chest.

I really want to do that, but I am concerned about crowds.. Maybe next year I'll get the annual pass that allows it and do it.

If you have a choice to see a fireworks show or the Animal Kingdoms nighttime show, go see the fireworks. It's not that the Animal Kingdom show is bad... It's just...eh. 

Pandora is amazing and you should fast pass both Avatar rides... Flight of passage is awesome, but not worth the 3 hour wait time. Animal Kingdom Magic Hours are pretty damn good, and you can sometimes get away with not fast passing.. but don't bother if you aren't getting there when they open and then going directly to pandora. IF you have a choice between flight of passage and Navi River, do flight of passage.

• Like 1

My family and I (2 adults 3 kids) were there in June. For me it was something to check off our list of been there done that. I was amazed at how clean the grounds were and how friendly the staff is. I never once saw a mess anywhere.

I have to agree that the prices are just ridiculous. I understand that the expense of it keeps the riff raff to a minimum, but for me it kind of took the fun out of it. 

1 minute ago, BigRed said:

My family and I (2 adults 3 kids) were there in June. For me it was something to check off our list of been there done that. I was amazed at how clean the grounds were and how friendly the staff is. I never once saw a mess anywhere.

I have to agree that the prices are just ridiculous. I understand that the expense of it keeps the riff raff to a minimum, but for me it kind of took the fun out of it. 

They are extremely expensive. I didn't realize how much, until I saw the prices entering the park... being a Florida resident is a massive plus. 

4 minutes ago, JMag said:

I highly recommend staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, especially if you have kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, it's a pretty fun place to be. But it's so expensive to stay there now... and prohibitive to a lot of people if you want to stay in a safari room. I love the hotel, but stay elsewhere on Disney property and visit. 

If you want to stay on property in a decent hotel for less money than most others, check out Caribbean beach and in Martinique. They are undergoing construction and some of the amenities aren't there, so the rooms are cheaper. 

We had a vacation home in Huntington Beach when it was still a little oil and surf bum town. I practically grew up in Disneyland. I love the weeks in Disneyland after kids are back in school but the park is still on summer hours. And I love getting in early by staying at one of the Disneyland hotels. 

And who who really needs a weapon in Disneyland?

7 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

We had a vacation home in Huntington Beach when it was still a little oil and surf bum town. I practically grew up in Disneyland. I love the weeks in Disneyland after kids are back in school but the park is still on summer hours. And I love getting in early by staying at one of the Disneyland hotels. 

And who who really needs a weapon in Disneyland?

I don't. I know enough about their security, that while I do feel naked without it, it doesn't phase me.

Not the biggest Disney fan, especially with the prices they are charging nowadays.  My wife and I usually only go when we get free tickets or my buddy's girlfriend, who works Disney corporate, gets us in for free when we go with them.  However, my wife likes doing the various half marathons and the one ticket I was perfectly willing to pay full price for was the Wine and Dine Half Marathon after party ticket.  The half marathon used to begin around 10:00PM (which they have since moved to a morning half marathon and no longer offer the after party ticket/event), so my wife and her friend would load up in the corrals and myself and her friend's husband would get into the park right at normal closing, when the regular guests were all funneling out.  They give you special wrist bands and limit the number of tickets issued and the World Showcase and a couple rides are open from 9PM-3AM.  We would partake in the wine and dine festivities while our wives ran and they would join us after the race and we'd all get a few rounds at the World Showcase before heading home.  I looked forward to that every November and was sad to see they changed it up.

18 minutes ago, crockett said:

I went 2 weeks ago. Picked up a new LEGO set. In and out in 15 minutes. :D

I could not enter Disney and spend only 15 minutes there unless I was there all the time like some OCSO deputies... and even then I don't think I could... 

One thing learned about going to Disney - take your liquor with you. They sell some small bottles at the Resort shops, but if it isn't included in the definition of statutory rape in the Florida criminal code, it should be.

Besides DisneyWorld in Fla., I've also gone to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. They don't have that park anywhere else. Cool stuff.

1 minute ago, Grabbrass said:

One thing learned about going to Disney - take your liquor with you. They sell some small bottles at the Resort shops, but if it isn't included in the definition of statutory rape in the Florida criminal code, it should be.

Besides DisneyWorld in Fla., I've also gone to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. They don't have that park anywhere else. Cool stuff.

It's on my bucket list to see all the Disney parks in the world... I have a bunch to go, since I have only gone to Disney World. I think Tokyo is now on the short list to be first.

Edited by Gun Shark

Disney World is the one time I've taken a vacation that actually felt like I was on vacation.  I bought the package deal of hotel, passes, and deluxe dining plan, and the result was that all I had to do was show up.  The up-front cost was moderately high, but not outrageous (<$150 per person, per day covered hotel, food and parks, with most of the options).  No one I brought had to worry about anything, and I didn't have to worry about them.  I highly recommend it.

Tips from my own experience are just the generic ones that most everyone who's been once will tell you:

• Make dining reservations early.  The food is fantastic, and you're going to want to be able to have at least one peaceful meal in a park each day to relax.  Plan the rest of your day around it.  Be prepared to tip even if you're using the dining plan.
  • If you aren't an enormous Disney movie fan and aren't travelling with kids who are, Magic Kingdom is really not all that compelling.  Animal Kingdom was way better than I expected, though.
  • Get Fast Passes.  Having to schedule things with passes might seem aggravating, but not getting Fast Passes is a fast pass right to regret.

7 hours ago, CincyRed said:

Going to Epcot tonight for the 4th of July fireworks show. They do the regular illuminations show then do a red, white and blue show. It is awesome and the finale seems like it is going through your chest.

How's the weather there? The radar looks like you're getting drenched.