What does everyone use to sharpen their knives?

minderasr

And for Axes I use this Bahco file to get the grind correct, it is double cut on one side and single cut on the other.  Good steel, not Chinese.

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-4-155-08-2-0-Farmers-File-8-Inch/dp/B007YREYZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531350750&sr=8-1&keywords=bahco+farmers+file

Then Lansky stone puck (both sides) with kerosene, and then a Work Sharp and they can pretty much shave arm hair.

So for a BIG knife I would recommend this as one approach.

Edited by nitesite

• 1 month later...

I used to exclusively use a Spyderco Sharpmaker with the ultra-fine rods.  Nowadays I use a Ken Onion Work Sharp with the Blade Grinder attachment.  I find it very useful to use.  Stop in the middle of the belt and you won't round any knife tips.

After that, I maintain on a leather strop with Bark River green compound.  I rarely use the KO after a knife's initial sharpening.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 10:29 AM, minderasr said:

I have a Work Sharp (Ken Onion Edition).  But I find it works best on larger blades.  Pocket knives not so much.  This is more than likely due to a lack of sharpening skills on my part.  I also have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and can get a great edge on my blades with this.  I usually touch up my blades on a Green Elephant ceramic sharpening rod.

What do you use?

I also have a Worksharp (not the Ken Onion) and I think there is a mistake in the instructions.

The instructions say to pull the blade straight through, but honestly I think following the blade's contour works better.  I tried it on a Scallion and wound up taking enough off the tip where I had to have the blade replaced (wouldn't engage the safety).  I was still learning how to use it.

Other than that - I have all kinds of stuff.  Probably a half dozen steels, three "pull sharpeners" (you pull the knife through them), about 4 sharpening stones, and a ceramic steel.

I use the steel about 90% of the time.  Usually either an F-Dick smooth steel (below) or a ceramic one I got from God-knows-where. 

D7_4701_25.jpg

I've even tried stropping a knife on a leather belt.

I do like the drag sharpener for packing in a small kit, but overall the Worksharp does really well (with the right belt) and you really can't beat a good stone.  And the steel is essential.

If I were to do a purge of sharpening stuff, I'd keep the FDick steels, the Worksharp, probably two stone sets, and the smallest pull sharpener.

Edited by SC Tiger

Been through it all... stones from arkansas to japan.... contraptions like spyderco and worksharp, 

My time is important. I can bang out my entire kitchen cutlery in under 5 minutes now instead of 30 or more.. Razor sharp. Paper wheels are the end game for me.

sharpener_Medium.jpg

3 minutes ago, EricB said:

Been through it all... stones from arkansas to japan.... contraptions like spyderco and worksharp, 

My time is important. I can bang out my entire kitchen cutlery in under 5 minutes now instead of 30 or more.. Razor sharp. Paper wheels are the end game for me.

sharpener_Medium.jpg

I have an old Black and Decker bench grinder that I could do that to.  Where do you get the wheels?

6 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I have an old Black and Decker bench grinder that I could do that to.  Where do you get the wheels?

Just search  paper wheels. Amazon has them as well.

Use a few **** china knifes to practice for a while until you get your angles right. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Now I dont even think about it. 50-60 bucks. 20 degree angles and light pressure.

I have had my set for about 2 years now. I sharpen all my friends knives. Can sharpen a knife in about 1 minute. 

Here are some links:

The thread that started it all for me:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paper-sharpening-wheels-when-your-time-is-important-to-you.578787/

Good info on them:

https://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/using-the-paper-wheels

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paper-wheel-101-tips-for-beginners.608864/

The ones I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0NXYL8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by EricB

On 7/4/2018 at 9:37 AM, Gun Shark said:

Chefs Choice electric sharpener for the easy to sharpen ones. For the oddly shaped ones I will either go to my butcher who sharpens them on what I think is a belt sander for a fee, or send them to the factory for the price of getting them there.

Same here.  After messing around with various stones, I got tired of the process.  I'm just not into high cost/quality blades to care all that much. 

I know that blade aficionado's feel the Chef's Choice (or any other electric sharpener) is satan's spawn.  But I get great results that last for quite some time.  Just using the medium and fine slots take care of my blades.  

• 1 month later...

Lots of good info here.  

I have started buying less cheap knives (not sure I will ever work up to expensive) and I know diddly about sharpening.  

Think I am going to try that Work Sharp.  Lots of cheap knives laying about for practice.  

Thanks.